Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yikes;yea... and that's why we don't verify information here. haha. We seem to be in a good position where we let supposed insiders say what they want; but the amount of investment from the community is minimal. Enough for discussion, but nothing to be in a heated debate over. At least not enough to constantly pester posters.

So that's Klee and Jason now having to push back. Yes, I suspect it's very irritating.

They made Kleegamefan very cleverly admit that PS5 target specs are between 12.8 and 13.3 tf (using 12tf as XSX reference, he admitted 7-10% more). Poor chap must be tired of his countless notifications. He probably forgot he never actually specified such a precise range AFAIK.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-the-dark-tower.159131/page-101#post-27521674

It is what i expected, he's already backing out slowly. In the end, if any of the info was different, or wrong, he can say his source/friend was giving the wrong information. He's just being the menssenger, he can never be 'wrong'. But in the end he got all the attention, something journalists are known for wanting to have.
Don't put anything in people that have a friend as a source that risc their jobs to leak stuff. He doesn't know anything that's clear.

When a reliable leaker Komachi leaks something, like the 300mm2 die size, it might be more true, but that can't be truth cause that truth doesn't fit what we want to hear.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/ne...eoff-keighley-streaming-broadcast-1203446839/
like this year’s biggest, the reveal of Microsoft’s next-generation Xbox (an announcement that was kept so secret, Keighley says, that Xbox head Phil Spencer read a phony script about Xbox Game Pass during rehearsals).

Damn, that's some dedication by MS. This is once again, proof imo, that very few actually know the real specs of SX. When you aren't trusted; you aren't given the real goods.

I believe one year at the TGAs; Geoff was leaking stuff; or giving some form of heads up.

Last edited:
It is what i expected, he's already backing out slowly. In the end, if any of the info was different, or wrong, he can say his source/friend was giving the wrong information. He's just being the menssenger, he can never be 'wrong'. But in the end he got all the attention, something journalists are known for wanting to have.
Don't put anything in people that have a friend as a source that risc their jobs to leak stuff. He doesn't know anything that's clear.

When a reliable leaker Komachi leaks something, like the 300mm2 die size, it might be more true, but that can't be truth cause that truth doesn't fit what we want to hear.
Sorry I don't keep up with all the insiders.
So what has he/she done to you or in general for you to have such distain?
Maybe their lieing, maybe telling the truth, but your response seems pretty extreme every time name is mentioned from what I've seen.
Aren't you able to just let it go?
Insider information can easily be right at the time, take it for what it is, and decide on how much salt to take it with. Just don't need to be throwing so much of it around here.

They made Kleegamefan very cleverly admit that PS5 target specs are between 12.8 and 13.3 tf (using 12tf as XSX reference, he admitted 7-10% more). Poor chap must be tired of his countless notifications. He probably forgot he never actually specified such a precise range AFAIK.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-the-dark-tower.159131/page-101#post-27521674
Reading at this he seems to be doing "vague" thingey all these insiders are doing.

Komachi/Apisak still only ones with first and 100% legit info (they didnt even look to leak or hype anything up).

Tom and Brad from Verge/Thurrot great as well.

So what has he/she done to you or in general for you to have such distain?
Maybe their lieing, maybe telling the truth, but your response seems pretty extreme every time name is mentioned from what I've seen.
Aren't you able to just let it go?

Just calm down, i don't even know who he is, i just keep seeing his 'leaks' being posted here that's all. I just don't believe it, i have nothing against the poster in person, why would i lol. He's just another forum user like all others.
I'm just saying what i think is most probable, why is that source or friend of him slowly leaking info via him. Komachi on the other hand doesn't refer to friends with info, instead leaking it himself, backed up by more information. which makes it more reliable, yet still belongs in the base-less section for the most as were still guessing.

Edit: oh and i don't even have an account on resetera, i have no reason to waste my energy in discussing tech there.
Also, as a 'leaker', one can expect critique, in special when it's all vague and when you have been wrong, and start backing out.

Last edited:
Just calm down
Right its me that needs to calm down ...

What's resetera have to do with anything?
Maybe if you point me to something I should read to explain I'll take a look. As I just about find time to pop in here quickly much less go to other forums, good or bad.
Is that what your trying to explain that they have a really bad reputation there?

Nothing wrong with critiquing, just don't see the benefit to conversation when just having a go at someone.

Usually these people stay vague and add an escape route to every statements. Looks like he messed up.

They suck away all discussions because they get fanboys convinced it's the truth. It kills the forums because anyone trying to discuss some 9TF target can no longer talk without getting hammered by the klee-beleivers interrupting "klee already said 12TF so shut up", "we already know the specs! Why don't you believe klee!".

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. It should be treated as any other spec leak and prediction. With a grain of salt. We have experience with this.

If Sony uses 3DMark, Microsoft probably does it too.

I think there's 3 possible reasons why Phil Spencer didn't claim any TFLOPs numbers:

1 - Clocks are still not final;
2 - Clocks are final but they don't want to open their game for the PS5, whose clocks may not be final;
3 - Like Digital Foundry suggested, he wants to avoid comparing GCN TFLOPs to RDNA TFLOPs which would lead to disappointment for people who don't know that RDNA TFLOPs > 1.2x GCN TFLOPs.

I've been thinking a bit about this one, much as I hate to be "that guy". I wonder, if the rumor of 64 Cu's at a relatively low clock of 1.4ghz is true, and given the Xbox Series X console looks like a giant blower, i wonder if large up clocks are possible closer to release. In that sense, Phil could be sandbagging the true power, being vague to the low side, would help with such an agenda. Nobody's going to be mad if it turns up much better than 2X. This could also depend on what the final PS5 looks like.

Of course that's pretty wild speculation.

In general though the reveal struck me as pretty early, and yeah obviously before PS5, so being vague will normally be the play.

Man, I hope the PS5 uses HBM!

I'm such an HBM fanboy though, that I would buy a stack of HBM glued to an SSD. As long as it had exclusives.

It's the product that single handedly destroyed AMD's high end GPU business do their unnatural weird devotion to it (much like MS fixation with embedded ram ruined the X1 and downgraded the 360 IMO). Usually AMD's high end GPU's the last few gens actually competed on price performance decently well, they were just constantly delayed 6 months to a year due to rumored HBM issues, by which time they had not a snowballs chance. Nvidia stuck with GDDR at the high end and while that was not the only reason, now are completely unchallenged. If AMD's next high end PC RDNA GPU's use HBM again, well we know why they have nothing in the high end right now for months and years as always.

If you like PS5, hope and pray it doesn't use HBM...

I get that exotic architectures are more exciting, though. But in the end what matters is the simplest and most cost effective way to get to power, even if it's boring.

Above is my opinion, disclaimer.

Sony does like being "weird" in their architectures in the past, but, hope their engineers have sound basis for any such decisions if they do any HBM/Reram stuff.

Last edited:
Given how things always leak early, I just assumed they do that for more big reveals. Luckily its not like it was a whole show ms was putting on.
I think this is how things leak normally. We always get the leak the day before the announcements. And that’s likely the rehearsal. It’s all about that rehearsal. But MS has a tighter grip on fixing these mistakes now.
But even then we were still getting reports that Xbox fans should tune into TGA. So there must be something controlled enough to get people to watch without telling people what it is.

Komachi has being the single most reliable leaker of this generation.

He and to a lesser extent, Tom_Apisack, leaked Gonzalo, Oberon, Ariel, Sparkman, etc.

He had access to AMD roadmaps and/or chip tests results.

Given this, what does a 300mm APU tell us if anything, about potential CU count?

Without any research all I can say immediately is it strikes me as a "not huge" die, compared to last gen. But maybe for 7nm, it is?

Last edited:
If the PS5 is only around 300nm, then there is no way I believe that is has more than 40 CU's for the SOC.
How does 40CUs @ 2.0GHZ + Zen2 stripped of some cache sounds?

I personally think PCB leak from May indicating 316mm² die and 256 bit bus means Sony is going all out to pack just enough CUs at some serious clocks and put high clocked chips on that bus to maximize BW. This will give them ability to still price console at great price even with SSD in there, while remaining extremely competitive vs whatever MS puts out.

Imagine 50-60mm² smaller die and 10-15% less FLOPs? You would hardly see a difference on these resolution while Sony will ALWAYS have smaller chip that can be downsized even more on next node

How does 40CUs @ 2.0GHZ + Zen2 stripped of some cache sounds?

I personally think PCB leak from May indicating 316mm² die and 256 bit bus means Sony is going all out to pack just enough CUs at some serious clocks and put high clocked chips on that bus to maximize BW. This will give them ability to still price console at great price even with SSD in there, while remaining extremely competitive vs whatever MS puts out.

Imagine 50-60mm² smaller die and 10-15% less FLOPs? You would hardly see a difference on these resolution while Sony will ALWAYS have smaller chip that can be downsized even more on next node
pcb leak from may say ssd from toshiba but more probably is ssd from samsung https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1219/741/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back