Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
but I may be wrong

You are wrong unless 13TF atleast.

Those recent Neogaf insiders are not real insiders, they are entertainers.

Doesn't surprise me, what surprises me is that those 'GAF insiders' posts actually make their way to something like B3D, even if it's the baseless section.

13 TF PS5, Klee, Jason, Tom?

That's abit on the low side though. Silly season and the baseless section, >15TF or bust.

Klee said

Klee said this Klee said that, you guys are giving them what they want, attention.

we should all feel very happy about those specs if they come tru

We should be, i can't thinkoff of a mechanical spinning drive in a 2020 device, ray tracing has been here since 2018, so that's a given too. About double the power of current high end consoles, not too strange either. By late 2020 the GPU will be kinda mid-range aswell.

My mind says don't get hyped about the 12TF, but that form factor says, it's built to handle and dissipate a high amount of heat.

The CPU this time is also going to draw some more power then the jaguars in the 2013 consoles. In special the clock speed at over 3ghz.

It's gotta be a big Navi chip using 7nm+ EUV

True, and don't forget 5nm for even more flops.

12TF would not really work with what MS shown in Scarlett reveal video (<560GB/s), nor would it work with 528GB/s of effective bandwidth from Flute benchmark (PS5).

13TF is pipe dream with these figures, especially since you are sharing it with CPU and have to account for RT as well.

We know 5700XT is bandwidth limited at 4K and that card is ~9TF with BW of 448GB/s.

I can see them going for 9-10TF with these figures, but not exactly 13TF...

but not exactly 13TF...

Phil said twice as powerfull as the One X GPU, that translates to about 9 to 10 Navi 1.0 TFlops (it's atleast navi, a 5700XT is 2x One X, if not more). Add two more TF's and you got 12. Twelve it is going to be, we can't and won't accept anything less. MS and Sony better pump out atleast 12TF or we won't buy these machines.

12TF would not really work with what MS shown in Scarlett reveal video (<560GB/s), nor would it work with 528GB/s of effective bandwidth from Flute benchmark (PS5).

Scarlett reveal is using 14gbps chips.

If they use 16gps chips the bandwidth is 640 GB/s. Perfect amount for Zen2 + 12TF GPU.

If they use the top of the line 18gbps chips like Flute the bandwidth is 720GB/s, which allows for 13.6 TF GPU.

Phil said twice as powerfull as the One X GPU, that translates to about 9 to 10 Navi 1.0 TFlops (it's atleast navi, a 5700XT is 2x One X, if not more). Add two more TF's and you got 12. Twelve it is going to be, we can't and won't accept anything less. MS and Sony better pump out atleast 12TF or we won't buy these machines.

There could be pedantic arguments that their grammatical capturing of what he said may be off. The key difference is applying the idiom "over" to the two times Xbox X.

What was written:

"So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is.”
What could have been written:

So when we do the math, we're over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One and two times what an Xbox One X is.”​

Have at it.
:runaway:

Scarlett reveal is using 14gbps chips.

If they use 16gps chips the bandwidth is 640 GB/s. Perfect amount for Zen2 + 12TF GPU.

If they use the top of the line 18gbps chips like Flute the bandwidth is 720GB/s, which allows for 13.6 TF GPU.
I know, thats why I said Scarlett setup from video does not provide enough for 12TF. Sure it does for 16Gbps, but this doesnt help in Flute case (PS5).

I cannot see them going below 50GB/s per TF, because PS4Pro was bw limited at 218GB/s.

This is how things would look in rumoured cases :

Flute bench - 256bit bus and 18Gbps and 16Gbps chips with 13TF GPU

576GB/s - 44GB/s per TF
512GB/s - 39GB/s per TF

For reference PS4 and PS4Pro

176GB/s - 95GB/s per TF
218GB/s - 52GB/s per TF

Now, bw per TF is going down with time, but I doubt its gone that much. PS4 Pro was bw limited with 50+, so I dont see how low 40s would be acceptable (especially considering Zen2 and RT are on die this time around).

Power hungry peeps.

They will buy whatever the power...well certainly the PS5 if the rumours of it being the only one with true exclusives.

,But really, I think you put too much stock into power - these machines will be powerful enough and have enough extra features (almost no loading anyone!?) to make them compulsive purchases.

being the only one with true exclusives.

If it's the same amount of exclusives as this gen, it ain't worth it for me atleast. About ten that are really AAA worthy, which interest me, over a seven years lifespan.

have enough extra features (almost no loading anyone!?)

This coming gen seems to be all about faster loading and better reflections in puddles indeed. Can't blame them either, as jumps from the past aren't possible anymore.

The conclusion is we don't know anything really. We only have some PR from phil and Cerny. Like someone said before, wait for MS and Sony official specs.

This. Or at the very least, something verified by a more reputable and independent game/tech oriented site like Digital Foundry or Anandtech.

It’s cool to speculate (CUs, clocks, SoC size, etc.), but once it enters into the realm where individuals are now claiming such unverified information as fact… then it makes other info with potential merit, just as questionable.

I'd still be happy with 8TF fixed clock Navi. :LOL:

Anything more becomes a potential compromise elsewhere, high cost, or some dramatic improvement from RDNA2 we don't know about, or a very large case (with a V on top), or fudging numbers with "equivalent" power figures, or comparing boost clock with fixed clock. A mix of all of the above.

Can anyone tell me why would MS go wide (64CU) and slow (1.4GHZ) if that clock is comfortably below RDNA sweet spot (which I assume will be even higher in RDNA2)?

Thats literally doing two things, and neither is good :

1. You leave performance on table. A lot of it. Especially if your competitor clocks it at almost 50% higher clocks

2. You get bigger chip with worse yields...and performance to boot.

Its lose lose situation, and any insider that stands behind that rumor loses credibility in my eyes.

Entire GPU design is shifting towards higher clocks, especially with process being so expensive, so I am absolutely baffled MS would ditch "sweet spot" strat they had for all 3 gens till now and go below it...for what?

Are we certain it's monolithic die and not cpulettes plus 2 gpulettes for Scarlett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back