Bad taste... (UK press)

I wouldn't mind if an almighty foot came and squshed that publication and everything associated with it. At all.

sytaylor said:
I wouldn't mind if an almighty foot came and squshed that publication and everything associated with it. At all.

Hey at least they're supporting Labour. Probably cause they know the Tories are fooked, and LibDem (sadly) aint going nowhere, guess they're playing it safe.

london-boy said:
sytaylor said:

Hey at least they're supporting Labour. Probably cause they know the Tories are fooked, and LibDem (sadly) aint going nowhere, guess they're playing it safe.

Exactly, its nothing to do with actually having an opinion. They're backing the winner, because they traditionally back someone.

sytaylor said:
london-boy said:
sytaylor said:

Exactly, its nothing to do with actually having an opinion. They're backing the winner, because they traditionally back someone.

Exactly, it's as if all the "journalists" just changed their vote overnight... errr....

sytaylor said:
london-boy said:
sytaylor said:

b4 new labour,, labour were waaay ahead in the polls and kinnock was gunna be the next pm........ the Sun (boooo) had a picture of kinnock as a lightbulb with "will the last person to leave the country turn off the light" ( summat like that)....

cue , tories back in for the 3rd term and the sun saying "its the sun WOT won it"....
depressingly the sun has a scarily large influence :( .

allegedly 'murdoch' doesnt trust brown and prefers blair... though i dont know how true that is.....

They've backed a winner on this one, I'm convinced of it. Kinnock's election attempts backfired in 87 because of the falklands and labour policies. In 92 it was still the policies that stopped people voting. In 97 the "we wont touch tax or go batshit crazy re-nationlising but want to throw money at stuff" essentially got them in.

Now of course they're having to raise taxes, they just daren't admit it.

The Tories haven't exactly helped themselves it has to be said. They've targetted their core vote, which when you're in opposition is suicide. They need to swing ex-Tory Labour voters, and right-wing bile isn't the way to do that (what with the Labour party putting out just enough right-wing bile to keep them on-side).

So what *is* going to happen to the Tories after this then? Current polls still give Labour a ~100+ majority. That would make the post-'97 Tory performance (3 thrashings on the trot) *worse* than the post-'79 Labour performance. It's said that they haven't had their Neil Kinnock yet... well they haven't and Howard clearly isn't it!

I'm no fan of the Tories, but the last thing I want to see is yet another 100+ Labour majority with all the policies they're starting to brew up (ID cards and that crap). The Tories seem stuck with the WW2 generation, the *really* have to move on if this country isn't going to become a one party state.

It's looking bad, bad, bad.

I wish people, especially politicians, came to realize that an election is not about winning, but representing a part of the people.

Xmas said:
I wish people, especially politicians, came to realize that an election is not about winning, but representing a part of the people.

Politicians? Do you see that happening? :D

nutball said:
The Tories haven't exactly helped themselves it has to be said. They've targetted their core vote, which when you're in opposition is suicide. They need to swing ex-Tory Labour voters, and right-wing bile isn't the way to do that (what with the Labour party putting out just enough right-wing bile to keep them on-side).

So what *is* going to happen to the Tories after this then? Current polls still give Labour a ~100+ majority. That would make the post-'97 Tory performance (3 thrashings on the trot) *worse* than the post-'79 Labour performance. It's said that they haven't had their Neil Kinnock yet... well they haven't and Howard clearly isn't it!

I'm no fan of the Tories, but the last thing I want to see is yet another 100+ Labour majority with all the policies they're starting to brew up (ID cards and that crap). The Tories seem stuck with the WW2 generation, the *really* have to move on if this country isn't going to become a one party state.

It's looking bad, bad, bad.

I agree, I'm a very moderate (center right) tory by nature and I cringe every time they talk up immigration. It will get out their vote, but it wont win votes from the far right, and doesn't help the opinion that howard is eeeeeevil.

The economic and public services policies are fantastic. Especially on pensions, which gordon brown had RAPED. We need the tories economically, labour's "not upping tax" lie is crumbling and the country has started to suffer, and it will get worse over the next few years.

Back