Back into the PC Master Race. It was never a total absence but still.

Talking of VSR, there is a very good article on it here.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/VSR.aspx

1.png

What I don't understand is this part:

In addition to the quality benefits associated with rendering at a higher resolution, VSR can improve the user experience by providing a wider or more complete view. This aspect of the feature can be beneficial in real-time strategy or world-building games, for example, where seeing more of the world can give the user an edge.
2.png

Aren't 3D games unlike 2D games so their FOV isn't affected by resolution at all?

Some games will show more with higher resolution. BTW just for information, your GPU is going to choke pretty badly with rendering 4k in modern games if you are running even close to high settings. It simply isn't very suitable for that resolution. Some older games will be fine. 1080p or 1440p is where you want to be with that card.

Some games will show more with higher resolution. BTW just for information, your GPU is going to choke pretty badly with rendering 4k in modern games if you are running even close to high settings. It simply isn't very suitable for that resolution. Some older games will be fine. 1080p or 1440p is where you want to be with that card.
Which graphics card do you have in your PC? Mine is like middle range, I think I wont even try 4k in modern games, tbh, not a big fan of seeing the fans spinning for no reason and no clear benefit by putting it to the limit. Only with classic games and 'cos of VSR I will --those games had good models and polygon count, they will look great. Yesterday I tried with the only game I have installed for now, Heroes of Might and Magic V, which is a classic. It was running at 4k and 60 fps but it is a very undemanding genre and game --there was tearing at times though.

The ones I want to play the most at 1080p/4k because they always looked good to me are F-Zero GX from the days I had the Gamecube and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit from when I had my second PC. :oops:

Today I went to PC Gamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/

And I decided to subscribe to their newsletter because I like the magazins. Well, after subscribing and receiving a couple of messages I found out that if you do you they send you a Satellite Reign key (GoG) for free.:oops: The game costs almost 30€ and it's a modern game.

You can see the game here:

https://www.gog.com/game/satellite_reign

I have a AMD R9 Nano. I haven't turned my desktop on since 2nd of January though... I was thinking about building a new water cooled build, but maybe I wait till next year.

have you heard about VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) or DSR (NVidia's equivalent)? My TV is 1080p native, purchased almost day one back in October 2013 --there weren't 4k TVs then if I am not wrong. The gpu drivers detected that the screen is high dpi and that I could use VSR, so I enabled it.

Shall share some game's screenshots at 4k when I have something to share 'cos I didn't manage to install games yet -bad weather and connection drops quite easily. :/
Mate thats just supersampling thats been around for more than a decade
Instead of talking pictures of games where it may be difficult to see, look at this, text on your monitor
http://zedzeek.com/junk/4k.png
your text will be more blurry (blurrier?) than how I see it on a 4k monitor, thats just how it is.
enabling VSR on a 1080p monitor will not make the image magically look as good as it does with 4k

edit- eg on 4k monitor the text looks like the left side. On 1080p, it looks like the right, the middle is how it will appear on your monitor to your eyes with VSR
4kvs2k.png

Last edited:
Mate thats just supersampling thats been around for more than a decade
Instead of talking pictures of games where it may be difficult to see, look at this, text on your monitor
http://zedzeek.com/junk/4k.png
your text will be more blurry (blurrier?) than how I see it on a 4k monitor, thats just how it is.
enabling VSR on a 1080p monitor will not make the image magically look as good as it does with 4k

edit- eg on 4k monitor the text looks like the left side. On 1080p, it looks like the right, the middle is how it will appear on your monitor to your eyes with VSR
4kvs2k.png
Had seen the png screengrab you shared. It doesn't look blurry but small when I switch to a 4k resolution. 125% or especially 150% scaling is palatable, in fact I am writing this text at 4k with 150% scaling, so it doesn't look so small. 100% is for masochists, you can't see much. How did you take the screengrabs below for a quick comparison? Because it doesn't matter how much I scale the text, but at 1080p native the image to the right doesn't look as blurry by any stretch of the imagination. Those could be downscaling artifacts of a 4k screen. These are the resolution options I get.

Capture.png

On a different note...., technical data aside, the thing that made me the happiest today was finding out by sheer chance that the GPU plays sound via HDMI. Why is that so important? Well, I can listen to the sound via the average speakers of my TV, so I can forget about using more cables and stuff like that. plus I can sit properly now because I can stretch my legs. I had connected some speakers to the PC til a couple of hours ago. This level of freedom means quality of life for me. Sure the TV is limited, quality wise, to 16 bits 48KHz, and have average speakers, but that certainly made me happy. I wonder what kind of drivers the OS is using, but they work.

Do NVidia cards play sound via HDMI too?

Another little cool discovery that made my day. I went to the AMD Radeon Settings utility and used the option Radeon Additional Settings, which I didn't touch before. The panel was set to 10 bits by default but it is a 12 bits one (Xbox One detected it as a 36bits panel, which it is, from the manufacturer specs) so I set it to that and in the Pixel Format area I chose Full RGB (PC standard), and with both settings enabled the improvement in colour richness is spectacular.

Capture.png

Capture2.png

been playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit III (one of my fetiche games ever) at 4k 60fps. The PC didn't even break a sweat, no fans running at all, that's how optimized were games back then. It was quite the experience seeing things I hadn't seen before that clearly. Couldn't stop laughing, what a fun game, it still keeps the thrill. Game ran at 60 fps but the rear mirror view seemed to have unlocked framerate in the original that now runs at like 200+ fps. :smile2:(sooooooo fast) Got the game's patch here with an updated exe for modern OSes. (thaniks Davros!)

https://rejzor.wordpress.com/need-for-speed-3-nextgen/

http://adolfintel.com/?p=nfs3/index.frag

Playing the game at that framerate and clarity felt like cheating. I didn't touch the brakes, actually, and that didn't happen in the original experience.

had I played at current framerates I'd beat all my old records in NFS3 Hot Pursuit. I played this game a lot and remember some tricks I used in some difficult bends, but now seeing everything more clear and at a smooth framerate, things can be seen coming much better. I wasn't playing a perfect game and at some point the CPU was 50 seconds behind me. Rocky Pass track still looks good today.

The rear mirror view is mesmerising. It feels like a smooth NFS3 race in the normal view, but if you look at the little rear mirror window, it seems as if there was a F-Zero race there, the frames draw so quick, like you are driving the fastest F-Zero car.

Had seen the png screengrab you shared. It doesn't look blurry but small when I switch to a 4k resolution.
Well I assume I've seen it ;)
seriously mate
take a step back, take a few breaths
here is avatar in 3d
article-1208038-062046C7000005DC-179_634x347.jpg

do you see the 3d effect, just like the cinema with 3d glasses?
............. no ........, well think about that ... ( you finally understand)
its not so pronounced as WRT to you looking at a 4k image on a 1080p screen vs 3d, but its similar, Cyan you will not say looking at a 3d image on a 2d screen looks like it did in the cinema,
yet you are saying the same looking at a 4k image on a 1080p (2k) screen and saying its just as good ... dude its not, until you see 4k on a 4k screen you cant appreciate how it looks. downscaling 4k->2k aint the same, just like watching 3d glasses cinema on 2d (non glasses) screen, yes its not that extreme but its on the pathway to it

I would love to piece together a gaming PC with Windows and an older graphics card ; run classic games at 4K VSR, set TV output at 1080p (because of older HDMI) and use a 4K TV that upscales this to 4K.
Then receive comments from visiting friends about how great it looks.

Last edited:
On a different note...., technical data aside, the thing that made me the happiest today was finding out by sheer chance that the GPU plays sound via HDMI. Why is that so important? Well, I can listen to the sound via the average speakers of my TV, so I can forget about using more cables and stuff like that. plus I can sit properly now because I can stretch my legs. I had connected some speakers to the PC til a couple of hours ago. This level of freedom means quality of life for me. Sure the TV is limited, quality wise, to 16 bits 48KHz, and have average speakers, but that certainly made me happy. I wonder what kind of drivers the OS is using, but they work.

Do NVidia cards play sound via HDMI too?

This is a standard feature yes, going back years. Don't feel sorry about 16 bits 48KHz, the higher super bitrates are snake oil more than anything or are only useful for professionals (e.g. 24bit recording is useful, merely because you can afford to have your input volume off by say 20 decibels, wasting a few bits of dynamic range while still having more than needed left)

Well I assume I've seen it ;)
seriously mate
take a step back, take a few breaths
here is avatar in 3d
article-1208038-062046C7000005DC-179_634x347.jpg

do you see the 3d effect, just like the cinema with 3d glasses?
............. no ........, well think about that ... ( you finally understand)
its not so pronounced as WRT to you looking at a 4k image on a 1080p screen vs 3d, but its similar, Cyan you will not say looking at a 3d image on a 2d screen looks like it did in the cinema,
yet you are saying the same looking at a 4k image on a 1080p (2k) screen and saying its just as good ... dude its not, until you see 4k on a 4k screen you cant appreciate how it looks. downscaling 4k->2k aint the same, just like watching 3d glasses cinema on 2d (non glasses) screen, yes its not that extreme but its on the pathway to it
the VSR article kinda says it all, but I never claimed it looks as good as 4k when it's 4 times the pixels. One can clearly see there is an improvement in the article, but if you have a native set, it's better --I can tell 'cos one can see on a 1080p set that it's not the same as native. In regards to 3D my panel works if you use passive 3D glasses, it doesn't work with active 3D glasses but I couldn't see the image in 3D cos I need the USB cable that came with the glasses.

Last edited:
I would love to piece together a gaming PC with Windows and an older graphics card ; run classic games at 4K VSR, set TV output at 1080p (because of older HDMI) and use a 4K TV that upscales this to 4K.
Then receive comments from visiting friends about how great it looks.
when you say older, if you mean running an old game at 4K, don't you fear that the GPU wont perform?

Talking of VSR, I tried another one of my iconic games, because of its story which certainly marked me somewhat in 2000.. That game is Vampire The Masquerade Redemption. The game run just okay on my rig back then, now as expected it runs at 60 fps, the PC doesn't turn up the fans a notch so it feels as if you are using Notepad.

The engine has a peculiarity and it is that it doesn't matter how much memory your GPU has, the max it uses is 64MB, so when using VSR I tried 4K and it couldn't fit on the video framebuffer so it dropped it. The highest resolution I can use is 2048 x 1536 -a little lower than 1440p, which doesn't fit the 64MB framebuffer either-. I tried native 1080p of course, and gotta say that VSR really makes a difference... Sure you can't see the exact benefits of a native TV but it's more crisp and the UI is unaffected, the text doesn't look smaller or worse.

when you say older, if you mean running an old game at 4K, don't you fear that the GPU wont perform?

It was a stupid joke anyway but I think sometimes like gtx 580, radeon 6950 or something earlier would be able to run really old games, 1997-2002 at very high res.
I don't know what VSR and DSR require in term of hardware ; they seem like mainly a driver feature to me.

Does it look better than supersampling ?

I don't know what AMD does, and I didn't try nvidia's DSR either but nvidia has a modern advanced downscaling filter. It can work with the whole picture and I'm sure it's a lot better esp. for weird ratios. Might avoid epic blurriness that old style Geforce 2 etc. supersampling would do. (simple box filter that only knows about the neighboring sample or pixel I think)

In the older days of geforce 4 Ti, geforce 6/7 nvidia did quietly support "2x2" and "3x3" supersampling modes that were Direct3D only. I did use the 3x3 mode, only with the first Mafia game. Kind of a virtual 3072x2304 downscaled to 1024x768 and it looked gorgeous. This game taxed the CPU a lot and the GPU not very much at all.

Does it look better than supersampling ?
ps: loved Redemption

pps: Any problems vith old games visit VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Machines)
http://www.vogons.org/
Blazcowicz described it better. Everything looks cleaner than at 1080p. "Free" antialiasing apart, there is something going on, like the image is more crisp, as if there is more granularity. But I rather prefer native for most modern games, because 1080p is actually very good and framerate is king. 1440p is a possibility but only if the GPU can handle 60 fps on all modern games, which I don't think is the case.

As for Vampire the Masquerade Redemption, it has one of the best moments in a videogames I've ever seen. It's so natural and realistic..., like out of script... It happens when an old man talks to you at the very beginning of the game, and he mentions the dangers of the night and stuff. Just when he is done talking he spits a tobacco ground:LOL::mrgreen:, that is so authentic!

I remember my brother watching me playing the game at that specific moment and he said amazed by it: "Did he spit?". There was an old neighbour when I was a kid that always smoke a brand of unfiltered cigarettes, and that was the same gesture that my neighbour did. Amazing stuff.

The story of the game would be great for a movie, but none has seen that yet --the language used is the most intelligent I've seen in a game yet, and the dubbing in my second language was sublime.

Last edited:
I've been fiddling around with the clock settings and stuff using MSI Afterburner and these are the stock settings of my card.

Capture.png

These are my personal settings based on Digital Foundry settings:

Capture2.png

I didn't try those, but I wonder if the numbers are right and if I am not going to create instability to the system. It doesn't seem much, but still... Stock card is meant for a 450W power supply, like I have. So I wonder.., am I not pushing anything too much?

According to MSI Afterburner, the graphics card, a MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor 4G OC 4GB GDDR5, can go up to:

+50% power limit
1650MHz core clock
2250MHz Memory clock

Back