B3D Readers Software Distribution Stats

DaveBaumann said:
one said:
BTW, beyond3d.com just disappeared from the DNS - I'm now writing here at http://216.180.225.194/~beyond3d/forum/
What's up?

BIND needed restarting is all.

T2k said:
B3D time-by-time has the same thing - I dunno why but apparently their ISP has some problem constantly... if I'd be DB, I'd have changed my ISP long time ago...

Nothing to do with the ISP.
OMG!!1111
Who is teh servar adm1n???

Seriously, what os and version of bind are you running?
I've got it running on several boxes (some solaris, some *nix) and no problems here, never needs to be restarted.

DaveBaumann said:
one said:
BTW, beyond3d.com just disappeared from the DNS - I'm now writing here at http://216.180.225.194/~beyond3d/forum/
What's up?

BIND needed restarting is all.

That's not normal.

T2k said:
B3D time-by-time has the same thing - I dunno why but apparently their ISP has some problem constantly... if I'd be DB, I'd have changed my ISP long time ago...

Nothing to do with the ISP.

So you have your own server? Cool. Fire your admin or whoever has the root pass and config the system. :p :devilish: :devilish:

MatiasZ said:
I don't see much of a point at NOT going to the site... I am pretty sure that in most cases, the owner of the site was not aware of the capabilities of coding within the standards of the programmer he/she hired so it's not his/her fault that you are unable to see the contents of the site... not to mention the fact that if you got there in the first place (and seeing you are a knowledgeable 'browser', you probably didn't just get there by mistake) is because you're actually interested to see what the site has to offer...

using IE once in a while will not kill your computer (don't mean to sound like I'm telling you what to do here, do whatever you feel comfortable with, I'm just making a point), you could however send an e-mail as you said to the web-designer advising him (not everyone is MEAN and codes bad on behalf of M$, the poor man could have just not know) to prepare it's website to render correctly for the, what was it, 22%?

to make it clear.....when i encounter such website,i do NOT use it, but i send mail to their marketing/sales saying they just lost customer due to lazy ass lamers that coded the site.

most of the sites are usually online shops that use .NET for developemnt.

i know these things work, cause one of the sites (online computer store for enthusiasts) forced company that made their shop to make it FF compatible after they got lots of mail from people who told them to FOF and that are _NOT_ buying anything as long as they cant make website that fits standards.....

http://www.profil.hr/ (this is example)
it's in croatian, but you get the picture.....and it online bookstore, prolly biggest in croatia....
it is not ONLY about IE vs. FF, what about Linux users or Mac users (i know there IE for Mac, but still).
i consider _ANY_ owner of _ANY_ business that allows this as complete idiot that doesnt deserve my money..... ;)

Silence, I agree with you.

Throughout last year I was developing my online business application in ASP.NET and all my home testing was done through Firefox.

Didn't have a single issue.
The only issues occur are if you use absolute positioning, the issues are a result of browser differences.

ffwtf.jpg

sorry K.I.L.E.R you are talking ALLLLL kinds of crap.

firefox as a browser is good, as a program its utter ****** trash. look the pic above. It crap with memory management, all i had open was a VIEW SOURCE and it was STILL taking up over 70MB. BTW please note that i had multiple IE windows open there, and it still didnt make it into the top 5.

other little stupid niggles, i only just found a SEARCH button for the (admitted included) google bar BUT as of now i still havent found a way to make the bar longer. the 20 characters or so that it is at default is no way enough for me (and please note, i dont care if its enough for you or if you think its enough for everyone, that shows a) a lack of understanding of other peoples browser habits and b) a disgusting egotism/ web fascism :) )

i could go on...

just thought I'd point out, i use firefox as my main browser, all my sites work in IE and FF, and i dont consider Opera a decent browser, when it comes out of beta I might look at it.

PoGGeh said:
i only just found a SEARCH button for the (admitted included) google bar BUT as of now i still havent found a way to make the bar longer. the 20 characters or so that it is at default is no way enough for me
Me neither, I installed google toolbar for FireFox and I got the full length googlebar. (I still got the little googlebox up in the right corner too which is kind of dumb, but I let it slide. ;) )

nutball said:
The HTTP pipelining settings posted in the other (long) browser-war thread we had here some time ago work really well to speed up FF in general use though.

I've found it alot faster than IE since applying these settings.

As IE should already support pipelining (or at least i have it set so already) browsing pages is no faster really.

Open a new instance of FF and it takes a good 20 seconds longer than IE. And thrashes the harddrive as disgraceful amount. Leave a window open for a long time (> 6 hours) and then resize that window, and listen to your harddrive sing. WTF

I have 6 comps btw, 4 amd, 2 intel all at varying degrees of "l33tness", and this trend continues across them all.

MuFu said:
nutball said:
The HTTP pipelining settings posted in the other (long) browser-war thread we had here some time ago work really well to speed up FF in general use though.

I've found it alot faster than IE since applying these settings.

How do you do this?

PoGGeh said:
i only just found a SEARCH button for the (admitted included) google bar BUT as of now i still havent found a way to make the bar longer. the 20 characters or so that it is at default is no way enough for me (and please note, i dont care if its enough for you or if you think its enough for everyone, that shows a) a lack of understanding of other peoples browser habits and b) a disgusting egotism/ web fascism :) )

Funnily enough, a google for "firefox google resize box" brings this link up as the third result. I guess the inability to search reinforces the stereotype of lazy IE users ;) ;)

Dave, there's a tweak to enable pipelining in firefox. However, this article may be worth reading before doing so.

PoGGeh said:
As IE should already support pipelining (or at least i have it set so already) browsing pages is no faster really.

Open a new instance of FF and it takes a good 20 seconds longer than IE. And thrashes the harddrive as disgraceful amount. Leave a window open for a long time (> 6 hours) and then resize that window, and listen to your harddrive sing. WTF

I have 6 comps btw, 4 amd, 2 intel all at varying degrees of "l33tness", and this trend continues across them all.

The disk thrashing is due to firefox writing to disk when minimised for a certain amount of time to reduce memory footprint. It's possible to disable this behaviour, but I'll leave it as an exercise for you to work out how.

Posted: Dec Sun 5th 2004

Ill admit that i havent searched for that particular subject in the last month. When i DID search for it, there was no help, and the only matches google made was people asking the same question as me.

The fact that you think i dont or cant use google just because I have used IE points to my earlier comment of egotism/ web fascism.

In the main, people who are against MS product do a HELL of a lot more bashing of competitors - ie LINUX people dissing WIN, FF users dissing IE. get a grip/life/better arguement.

WRT disabling a feature that even my mother has complained about. Its stupid that it has to BE an excerccise in searching. My mum DOESNT know how to google (yet :rolleyes: ) and so going by your logic, for her this problem will never be resolved.

Internet Explorer works, and it's free. :rolleyes:

It's always funny to hear the arguments to choose FireFox. All due respect for its developers, but it's not like they invented hot water. It might be evolutionary at several points, but not revolutionary. The best browser for Linux of course, but quite redundant for Windows.

PoGGeh said:
Open a new instance of FF and it takes a good 20 seconds longer than IE.

I have no idea how you can achieve that timing, seriously that's quite an achievement. A new instance of FF take 1-2 seconds on my box, how this can be "20 seconds longer than IE" I have no idea.

And thrashes the harddrive as disgraceful amount. Leave a window open for a long time (> 6 hours) and then resize that window, and listen to your harddrive sing. WTF

It sounds to me like your PC doesn't have enough memory, and/or you have serious configuration issues with your "l33t" PCs.

Nick said:
Internet Explorer works, and it's free. :rolleyes:

It's not free, it just costs in different ways (firstly Windows isn't free, secondly there's the cost in time and effort of keeping trash off your machine). IE is far from free.

A completely new instance eg when you first boot your machine. Im not the only one with this problem, i know lots of people that dislike IE but still complain about how long FF takes to open. One of these people even does major work for LINUX platform OS's, and is writing his own, cos he dislikes windows so much.

Not one of my systems has less that 512MB of DDR RAM, and that is my 3.0GHz P4 laptop. All my desktop PCs have 1GB and over in them. Also, im fully aware of how to configure PC's. Please dont (yet again) fall into the catagory I have stated above.

IE comes with Windows, and although yes you do (and should) have to pay for the OS, the browser IS completely free. Or was I missing the point of the whole lawsuit thing? You can download IE 5 and above without cost. Windows despite its many (and easily avoided flaws) is still the most user friendly OS on the planet. It takes 30 mins (at most) to set up and a relatively new user can be on the net, typing documents, playing games in a matter of minutes.

People just need to be taught common sense when it comes to Windows, rather than being scared off by journalists looking for an easy IT related story (eg new VIRUS!!! kills elventy million computers in 3 seconds). Using IE with only SP1 installed (which comes on the actual CDROM now), a £12 norton AV program, and Adaware'ing every few days with a free piece of software should keep your machine 99% free of viruses etc. Also, using (once again) FREE programs like the googletoolbar ( 200k or something - 1 min on even a 56k modem) will prevent the majority of pop ups.

If you are receiving lots of spam - simple - use hotmail, yahoo etc. While obv not the best solution, for the average user they now offer TOOOOONS of storage space and instant spam filtering. Also using HTTP you shouldnt ever have a problem with worms being dl'd. Oh did i mention that once again, these services are FREE!!!

Yes its a bit more vunerable than LINUX, but realistically the user-friendly-ness out weighs the small amount of time/effort you need to make a pretty secure box.

If you say otherwise, you are a scare mongerer and have no place in "civilised internet community" (if there still is such a thing)

Back