Azureus + NOD32 = still no workee?

Guden Oden

Legend
I haven't really kept myself abreast of any developments that may have happened in this regard, if anyone has any pertinent information I would be very happy to hear it. :)

It should work just fine. Remember to exlude jawaw.exe from IMON. They fixed an unrelated 100% cpu issue a while ago too.

DarN said:
I've never had a problem with bitcomet maxing my connections with enough seeds.
I do use azureus now, despite it's memory problem (leak? when I stop torrents it clears alot of memory), but bitcomet isn't some shoddy client.
You can use for weeks with good memory usage (30-60MB tops.. depending on disk buffer)
I didn't notice any significant speedups using the same trackers and peers etc.
I have had problems with azureus using upnp, it stopped working for some reason and I had to change the port, had to do that a few times now.
I also still easily hit 500-600 kb/s upstream also.
with a 512 rated upsteam.

You as a user aren't likely to have issues with Bitcomet, it's the rest of the swarm that will suffer.

DarN said:
You as a user aren't likely to have issues with Bitcomet, it's the rest of the swarm that will suffer.

well, i simply have to use BitComet cause i have 1.5 Mbit down / 192 kb up.
so there is no way i could DL really large file and have 1:1. i like that i can cap my upload for _ALL_ torrents i am DLing with BitComet.

if i had better conn i would gladly give more upload BW, but i simply cant.
people tend to forget that not everyone has same up and down speeds on their conns. just look at my ratio.... getting to 1:1 would mean either capping Dl also (which would take away all advantages of BT) or keeping client open forever, which is not an option.

I'm not sure I follow. You don't have to seed to 1:1 with ANY bt client AFAIK. In Azureus you simply set up ignore rules, and I'm sure others have similar setups. My connection is 1024/384. Before that I had 704/128, and I always seed to atleast 1:1. Just takes a while is all.

depends how much you DL.... its easy if you do few hundered MB, but when you go for 7 GB file it would take ages....

I don't quite follow how bt works. I have a connection capable of 4 Mbps down and 512 kbps up. What would be the best settings in this case?

Right now I'm using azureus but never get connections greater then around 100 kbps and usually much lower, like around 24 kbps average. Is this normal, is bt just really slow?

You should cap your upload rate @ 70-80% - that should ensure good download speeds.

ANova said:
Is this normal, is bt just really slow?
No, configured correctly bt is very fast. Are you getting green smileys?

silence said:
depends how much you DL.... its easy if you do few hundered MB, but when you go for 7 GB file it would take ages....
Like I said, it takes a while. It's just considered good practice, you don't have to do it. :D

DarN said:
silence said:
Like I said, it takes a while. It's just considered good practice, you don't have to do it. :D

i know.
i just dont think that everyone who doesnt make it to 1:1 is leecher. i leave files for seeding when i can. but if you have multiple DLs, getting to 1:1 on something like 7 GB or more is close to impossible (with my connection).

i have cap at 15 KB up. if i put higher cap i cant even surf web...

thats all. i really wish i had like 4 Mbit up and down. ;)

DarN said:
You should cap your upload rate @ 70-80% - that should ensure good download speeds.

What good does capping your upload do for downloading? I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference, it will limit your peers download rates but it shouldn't effect your own should it? If everyone was uploading at much greater rates then we would all be getting faster download speeds, or am I completely off here. I do limit my upload to 40 KB/s but simply so my bandwidth isn't clogged.

No, configured correctly bt is very fast. Are you getting green smileys?

Yup, actually I was getting NAT problems until I opened a port, now all is ok but it doesn't seem to have affected the download rates much if at all.

What good does capping your upload do for downloading?
I do limit my upload to 40 KB/s but simply so my bandwidth isn't clogged.
You've answered your own question. Find a torrent that gives you max downspeed and experiment with different upload rates.

DarN said:
You've answered your own question. Find a torrent that gives you max downspeed and experiment with different upload rates.

Ah I see. I've been thinking upload and download were independent. :oops:

ANova said:
DarN said:

What good does capping your upload do for downloading? I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference, it will limit your peers download rates but it shouldn't effect your own should it? If everyone was uploading at much greater rates then we would all be getting faster download speeds, or am I completely off here. I do limit my upload to 40 KB/s but simply so my bandwidth isn't clogged.

Because TCP/IP uses ACK(nowlegement) packets. If all your upstream is saturated, you can't sent ACKs quickly enough, so the end that is downloading to you slows down or retransmits whilst waiting for your ACKs.

Reserving a bit of upload for your ACKs means that you can send ACKs fast enough for the people sending to you not to be waiting around wondering if you got their packets - they send to you as fast as they can.

Back