avi/wmv/mpg whatever are laggy using Windows Media Player

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Some high definition videos are laggy when using Media Player 9 or 10. However, if I play them with DivX Player, they are smooth.

I believe it's not a codec issue.

Note: The option Use accelerated post-processing for supported ATI RADEON hardware is disabled. BTW, what does this option actually do?

Re: avi/wmv/mpg whatever are laggy using Windows Media Playe

mito said:
Note: The option Use accelerated post-processing for supported ATI RADEON hardware is disabled. BTW, what does this option actually do?

Uses the highend Radeon's shaders to do deblocking and smoothing. I think they call it Fullstream.

Or try Winamp, that's what I use. Also, the old MPlayer is much faster than the newer ones, it's in the same directory as WMP.

_xxx_ said:
Or try Winamp, that's what I use. Also, the old MPlayer is much faster than the newer ones, it's in the same directory as WMP.

Winamp is a joke compared to MPlayer.

You joking me? It's Windows version is a command-line program, FOR GOD'S SAKE! :oops:

// runs away in fear... ;)

_xxx_ said:
Huh? So where's the GUI?

There are unofficial gui builds as well. However, it's not anything fancy. mplayer does do the job of playing media files better than any other player though. If i ever have problem with a playing file, I can be sure mplayer will swollow it and spit out some sort of video. :)

_xxx_ said:
Don't need to be fancy. It must have play, stop and ff buttons. But where do I get the GUI?

http://deje.uw.hu/ (google was my friend)

What I have is just a shortcut on the desktop to mplayer. Then I just drop any file I want to play on the shortcut and it starts to play. With space you can control pause/play and with the arrow keys up/down/back/forward you control skipping.

Forget MPlayer !
Use BS Player

As a free bonus feature it has a graphical user interface :D ;)

don't flame me, I know what's MPlayer and I use on my Linux box, though I prefer BSPlayer for Windows

cristic said:
Forget MPlayer !
Use BS Player

don't flame me, I know what's MPlayer and I use on my Linux box, though I prefer BSPlayer for Windows

I think it's nice now we have Windows option for the best player... BSPlayer never realy impressed me - works like other, has its own problems like others.

MPlayer truly impressed me: I NEVER found anything I couldn't play with it. Really shocking. :oops: 8)

T2k said:
cristic said:
Forget MPlayer !
Use BS Player

I think it's nice now we have Windows option for the best player... BSPlayer never realy impressed me - works like other, has its own problems like others.

MPlayer truly impressed me: I NEVER found anything I couldn't play with it. Really shocking. :oops: 8)

If something doesn't play usually it's a missing codec, the player can't do anything about it (i'm not saying that in your case it couldn't be the other way around)

I like BSPlayer, because one can position the subtitles whereever one considers on the screen and it has time-correction for subtitles that actually works. Not to mention the fact that the keyboard shortcuts are the same as Winamps (i'm a winamper :D)

cristic said:
If something doesn't play usually it's a missing codec, the player can't do anything about it (i'm not saying that in your case it couldn't be the other way around)
The thing with MPlayer is that I've never needed to install a new codec for it (linux).
Using MPC on Win32, haven't had a reason to change.

Just tried BS and I like it very much. Especially that you can keep the video vindow size/position on startup, which always bothered me with other players.

Back