Australian Xbox 360 launch details

Nice! What a worthless thing to do. It takes more effort to disable it then enable it. What the hell's it supposed to achieve? And for those saying SD quality on XB360 doesn't matter, it sure as hackers does when MS won't let you use HD output!

Well personally i dont mind waiting till march.
It will give me some time to save for a nice HDTV and the xb360.
plus the xbox's we get will most likely be 1.1 or 1.2 units making them much more reliable and bug free in my book.
Not to mention that by then LOTS of very good games will be out, GOW is my personal favorite atm.

To be honest i am suprised it is so soon, i wasn't expecting it till june or july next year.

Although i do know that Australia has just about the highest if not THE highest uptake of xbox's among any country it currently sells in????
maybe this is the reason MS is focusing on other markets first?

As for the HDTV disabling on PAL xbox's, i believe it was done becuase true PAL actually offers a better resolution than 480p, although not necc. a better framerate. (PAL60 just complicates things)

PAL is 720x576, 480p is what 720x480??
so remind me again why it was such a loss to lose the HDTV support?

- Hoping for a speccy new keywring to go with the one i got at the original xbox Aus launch :)

PP.

The problem is that 720p is 1280x720 which is a bit better than 720x576 (over 2x). If I was in Australia I'd sure be pissed. Whats the point of the "hd era" if you can't partake in it? Sure games will look better, but a lot of the systems power would have gone to waste if its stuck in 720x576 res max.

Kind of a silly choice they made -- I thought that HD resolutions were territory ambiguous? (HD standards are seperate from ntsc/pal so 720p in ntsc areas is the same as it is in pal areas -- maybe I read wrong though?). It doesn't really make a lot of sense, at least from my perspective.

Is this non HD situation with all PAL territories or just Aus? I'd imagine there would have been an uprising if that was the case... Still very odd, regardless of how many people will be affected.

Plus you're excluding awesome widescreen support and progressive scan. If you've seen games running progressive scan over standard PAL resolutions, you'd know what you're missing.

And they took the HD pack off the market, so the best quality cabling the AU Xbox supports is S-Video. Have you tried hooking an SVideo input to a HDTV? ICK!

Seriously, the difference is huge.

How many xbox1 games support 720p?

Obviously 720p is a huge jump from standard PAL, my point was that 480p is NOT a huge jump in quality from standard PAL.

yes yes, the aspect ratio is another issue/plus to the hdtv formats.

PP.

The main one that mattered was Soul Calibur 2. Looked mighty purdy.

I guess if you're happy with PAL SD, great, but native 480p over component in my mind kicks standard PAL res's over SVideo out the window. I know because I have both, and I can switch, and I always, always choose NTSC mode.

The fact that the machine was fully capable, but disabled the functionality in software, was also a big kick in the nads.

vjPiedPiper said:
PAL is 720x576, 480p is what 720x480??
so remind me again why it was such a loss to lose the HDTV support?

PP.

Notice the 'p' in 480p?? PAL might have higher ver resolution, but at the end of the day its still nterlaced, eg 480i.

480p isn't the HD support you're losing. That's progressive scan and may be in for all we know. What you're losing is the chance to run HD games on an HD set if you have one, and this begs the question why? Why deny Australians that feature? What have they done to the world to have that taken from them?

Hold on, did i get this right? X360 HD support has been cut for Australia?! That makes no sense, Australia is in a better position wrt HDTV than Europe!

actually that might just be a misunderstanding. From the first link in this thread...
http://www.palgn.com.au/article.php?id=3465
At launch, there is expected to be a selection of 30 games available - each of them with HD-TV support.
The idea that XB360 (same for PAL territories according to Mech won't have HD support comes fromthe game listings...
http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/games/catalog.aspx?st=&g=0&r=0&s=2&p=1&c=10
All mention HDTV 'Support : No Support'
So there's no official word and a contradiction between two sources. One is MS official, but maybe incorrect? This is actually worth an email to MS. The Forums at the Xbox Australia site don't at first glance seem to be concerned with lack of HD, people talking about what HD sets they're going to be using.

Mmmm sounds strange. Europe X360 games all have HD support, i don't see why Aussie ones wouldn't, seen how Aus already has HD broadcasts and is in a much better position wrt to HDTV than Europe.

The whole point in MS getting Samsung HDTVs for their pods was the HD support, and the pods are globally the same...

Very strange...

err we are/were talking about the xbox1 and support for HD resolutions and output in australia. - just to clear that up.

I'm SURE the xb360 will have full HD suppurt in when it launches in Aus. next year :)

- Paranoia
"I guess if you're happy with PAL SD, great, but native 480p over component in my mind kicks standard PAL res's over SVideo out the window. I know because I have both, and I can switch, and I always, always choose NTSC mode."

Thanks for your comment i never did an actual comparison of the two methods, always just used svideo, could you possibly expand on your comments? (as subjective as they are)

cheers,
PP.

from what i understand, xbox 1 hd was disabled because our hd standard hadn't been finalised at that point in time. at least now it looks like it has been fixed, yay! {stupidly posted on a PSP!}

Back