ATI's R420 at GDC?

The actual blurb Wavey quoted looks more suitable for R420/Radeon "X000" series than XBox, as Mr. Sparkle said, what with all the development tools mentioned. An X-Box development kit might be possible given the venue, but that would seem to depend on "R400 sample hardware" being true, or some pretty "X-citing" development tools :?:.

This doesn't seem to make sense with the R420 due so soon, whereas the "X" naming for the R420 does make a lot of sense.

No portable XBox and development kit due anytime soon, right? :p

Miksu said:
I have this feeling that we're not going to see R420 next week. This is based on umh.. nothing. Dave Baumann said earlier, that it's expected that Ati is releasing R420 after the NV40. And Dave also hinted that we're going to see something XBox-related next week, not the R420.

It could be the announcement of an ATI chipset for Athlon 64's. This has been hinted at in several recent ATI interviews, and has got to be coming sooner rather than later.

I been thinking the whole time ATI would
be in stores with there 420 before nvidia
could even launch.
But maybe not.

I'm hoping for this week.
I'm ready to see some hardware. :D :D :D

Does anyone know if any review sites have hardware yet?

bkswaney said:
I been thinking the whole time ATI would
be in stores with there 420 before nvidia
could even launch.
But maybe not.

Me too, but there is the theory that says that while ATI is still top dog, they don't need to release anything new until Nvidia release something ATI have to respond to.

This tactic only works if ATI is confident the R420 can trump NV40 - otherwise Nvidia would get a first to market advantage with a superior product.

It will be interesting to see if there are more leaked NV40 details and benchmarks. While I can understand why Nvidia kept the PR engine at full speed with the NV30 /35 I don't expect them to use the same stunts if the NV40 is really up to par.

THe_KELRaTH said:
It will be interesting to see if there are more leaked NV40 details and benchmarks. While I can understand why Nvidia kept the PR engine at full speed with the NV30 /35 I don't expect them to use the same stunts if the NV40 is really up to par.

Yes they will - they've been doing it for years, and most likely doing a lot of app specific "optimisations" too. Even now we are seeing the same pre-release, unattributed leaks as we've always had from Nvidia. If NV40 is worse than R420, they will use it to prop up an inferior product. If NV40 is better, they will do the same thing to stretch any perceived advantage to it's maximum. That's just the way they operate, ie pushing the marketing FUD as far as possible, and then beyond.

DaveBaumann said:
Miksu said:
Dave Baumann said earlier, that it's expected that Ati is releasing R420 after the NV40.
Did I?

I remember you saying something like "Ati isn't in a position where they have to prove themselves so it's likely that they will see what NVidia makes first."

Couldn't find your post about the subject so it's likely that I've been just mixing things up.

THe_KELRaTH said:
Different partners at Cebit are saying that we will see NV40 announcement and reviews before R420, whereas we should see R420 on shelves a few weeks before NV40. :!:

Nvidia released there paper first telling when they would
be releasing the NV40.

Then after ATI knew when NV was releasing there's they
release a Press bull.
It seem's to me ATI wants to be a month ahead of Nvidia
on getting cards on the shelf.
I would like to see ATI be first this round. First blood. :LOL:

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Evildeus said:
Different partners at Cebit are saying that we will see NV40 announcement and reviews before R420, whereas we should see R420 on shelves a few weeks before NV40. :!:

Are you suggesting a paper/spoiler launch from Nvidia?
No, i suppose Ati would launch the R420 and immediatly after the partners will deliver the card to consummers, whereas Nv partners will make the move 1 month after the announcement. At least, that's what i understood ;)

Miksu said:
DaveBaumann said:
Miksu said:
Dave Baumann said earlier, that it's expected that Ati is releasing R420 after the NV40.
Did I?

I remember you saying something like "Ati isn't in a position where they have to prove themselves so it's likely that they will see what NVidia makes first."

Couldn't find your post about the subject so it's likely that I've been just mixing things up.

Are you talking about this thread here, just before it went to Viking hell? http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10401&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=280 If so, Dave's contribution on that point was fairly narrow.

demalion said:
The actual blurb Wavey quoted looks more suitable for R420/Radeon "X000" series than XBox, as Mr. Sparkle said, what with all the development tools mentioned. An X-Box development kit might be possible given the venue, but that would seem to depend on "R400 sample hardware" being true, or some pretty "X-citing" development tools :?:.

This doesn't seem to make sense with the R420 due so soon, whereas the "X" naming for the R420 does make a lot of sense.

No portable XBox and development kit due anytime soon, right? :p

Looks like it was indeed the "X-citing" development tools, in the form of XNA. I'm wondering if the rumors of Radeon X000 were started by hints about XNA, or if they had a different genesis?

Miksu said:
DaveBaumann said:
Miksu said:
Did I?

I believe this is what you're talking about:
mreman4k said:
I do not think ATI has to prove themselves, they have had a generally successful 18 months. NVidia on the other hand has the NV30 situation in its immediate past, so they've got to come back with something.
Interestingly, mreman4k started this thread.

Back