ATI profits triple

nelg

Veteran
In news early Thursday and late Wednesday:

- Graphics chip maker ATI Technologies Inc. said its third-quarter profit more than tripled to $48.6 million US as sales revenue soared 38.2 per cent to a record $491.5 million US. Net income for the quarter ended May 31 amounted to 20 cents a share and compared with $15 million US or six cents per share a year earlier, the Toronto-area firm said Thursday.

LINK

Momentum has been picking up every quarter since the success of the R300 line. Solid product diversification, near-sweep of PCI-E OEM design wins, strong demand across the board in a growing market. Institutions will now begin to realize that the recent financial turnaround was no fluke.

You still holding, Joe? ;) :D

If their 4th quarter estimates are correct, they might end up very close to a 2 billion dollar year. Very very good news indeed.

EDIT: Spelling

thatdude90210 said:
kemosabe said:
near-sweep of PCI-E OEM design wins, strong demand across the board in a growing market.
Really? Maybe that explains the appearance of the recent Nv Xray pr campaign.
Bang-on mate!
thumbup.gif

I am thinking that ATI's profit margins are being buffeted by the much lower R&D costs for R420 given it's deep roots in the R300 architecture. That should bode very well for their bottom line in the coming months.

AlphaWolf said:
thatdude90210 said:
kemosabe said:
near-sweep of PCI-E OEM design wins, strong demand across the board in a growing market.
Really? Maybe that explains the appearance of the recent Nv Xray pr campaign.

Press release

Nvidia's much less impressive list here

Dell, Gateway, IBM, Sony, Nec are only on the Ati list.

And you can now officially add HP to that list.

The only reason they weren't there in ATI's PR is that they hadn't formally announced their entire PCI-E desktop line yet. So Orton was not exaggerating when he claimed a near sweep in top-tier OEM design wins.

http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA429362?spacedesc=news

Pretty easy to see why ATI has more OEM wins if you look at the hardware and the requirements of most OEMs.

For about 2 years now, ATI's high end stuff has been faster, quieter and cooler. Having single slot solutions that require less power and are physically much smaller helps too. Add that to that the native pci-e (which I'm sure oem's love) and you're onto a winner.
I'm sure a lot of major OEMs are still pissed about the whole FX line too.

oddfellow said:
Pretty easy to see why ATI has more OEM wins if you look at the hardware and the requirements of most OEMs.

OEMs are on tight margins - every penny counts. Given the higher requirements of power and cooling for the Nvidia cards (especially with their extra PCIe bridge chip that also requires a heatsink), it's no surpise that ATI are killing Nvidia in the OEM space.

Nvidia are trying so hard to beat ATI with the "no holds barred" NV4x, they've ended up cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

Well I believe these are pci-e wins it's not necessarily nv4x or x800 cards that will be filling those pci-e slots. I believe the hsi does require a heat sink on all the parts below the nv4x.

thegrommit said:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
especially with their extra PCIe bridge chip that also requires a heatsink

To be fair, I don't believe an additional heatsink is required:

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/6903

It does on the boards demoed that used a separate bridge chip (NV40 PCIe). Once their bridge is intergrated into NV45, it will be just under the normal GPU heatsink.

Either way, the PCI-e offerings from Nvidia need more power and generate more heat, making them look a bad buy for OEMs when compared to ATI's cards.

Back