ATI FY2006Q1 Results and Conference Call

trinibwoy said:
There was a link showing two x1600xt's beating a x1800xl by about 30 points in 3dmark05.....can't find it now though.

There is the Inq. I think some guys were doing xfire x1600s over at xtremesystems forums also if you look around there you may find some numbers.

Hmmm ATYT is mighty tempting right now. Got a lot of big obstacles behind them - Xenos, Crossfire, 90nm, R520. Still strong in mobiles, making good inroads in the chipset space. If they can continue executing well through the r580 and r600 product cycles, they could have a bumper year similar to what Nvidia had in 05. I think they will do well regardless of what Nvidia does with G71/G80. One thing's for sure, Nvidia will have a hell of a time hitting their targeted 45% margins with ATi in form.

AlphaWolf said:
There is the Inq. I think some guys were doing xfire x1600s over at xtremesystems forums also if you look around there you may find some numbers.

Thx! 30 points, right on the money.

AlphaWolf said:
Ya but thats the inq and it's 3dmark.
I mean in real games.. like quake 4, far cry fear etc.

As long as they do not remove or gimp current HQ image options in the name of "performance" I am with them. Of course if they expand said options in other areas, even more so.

Where can I listen to this conference call? Couldn't see a link, or is it even possible?

neliz said:
2x1600xt's outperform the 1800xl and don't require a dongle.
If xl's and xt's are not PCIe bandwidth limited yet, doubling the available bandwidth would allow some spare room for crossfire wouldn't it?

I don't think for a second that this is the case in real games. 30 points more in 3DMark? No, thanks. Let me see D3, Q4, FEAR, etc. With AA/AF and all.

Well.. I'm waiting and am interested.. after all xfire 1600's is a cheaper platform (untill january 24th.) than 1800xl...

I've edited the report above to relect the fact that B3D front page is reporting he said "ninety" instead of "thirty". After having gone back and listened to it several times, I still can't tell for sure which he said. He was teleconned in, which didn't help.

So that could open the launch window up a little bit. But not too much, I'd think, as he still suggested later that R580 was going to contribute to Q2 revenue.

It's at 1:15:25-40 for anyone who wants to take a crack at it themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
So that could open the launch window up a little bit. But not too much, I'd think, as he still suggested later that R580 was going to contribute to Q2 revenue.

Just like R520 was going to contribute to Q305 results?

neliz said:
Just like R520 was going to contribute to Q305 results?

That was certainly the plan when he said it. :LOL: The purpose of listening to these calls (both IHVs) is to get some visibility of what their plans are. That the affairs of men do not always work out as they had planned is hardly news.

geo said:
That was certainly the plan when he said it. :LOL: The purpose of listening to these calls (both IHVs) is to get some visibility of what their plans are. That the affairs of men do not always work out as they had planned is hardly news.

Ah yes.. well..that's behind us now.. I really think r580 will be there, seen how much success they had with the product in comparison to the r520

Hmmmm, first time I've listened to one of these calls. Somehow I expected it to sound more.....corporate, if that makes any sense. Funny to hear these guys quoting a bunch of websites and talking about overclocking to investors. :LOL:

geo said:
"Over the next 30 days you'll see us recapture the high-end performance . . .from ourselves". That sounds like R580

The "from ourselves" bit sounded added on there. If they meant to convey the message that they were going to retain performance leadership they would've worded it much differently. Who recaptures something they already have, lol :LOL:

trinibwoy said:
The "from ourselves" bit sounded added on there. If they meant to convey the message that they were going to retain performance leadership they would've worded it much differently. Who recaptures something they already have, lol :LOL:

I heard that as one of two slammies on GTX512 availability and a relatively gentle sticking of the needle to the current claims of the pretender to the performance crown, Nvidia. (Understand, I'm wearing my red hat in saying that --one of the gifts of being a Civil War buff is I can switch hats pretty easily to try to figure out where the other guy is coming from).

geo said:
I've edited the report above to relect the fact that B3D front page is reporting he said "ninety" instead of "thirty". After having gone back and listened to it several times, I still can't tell for sure which he said. He was teleconned in, which didn't help.

sounds like 30 days to me...

geo said:
I heard that as one of two slammies on GTX512 availability and a relatively gentle sticking of the needle to the current claims of the pretender to the performance crown, Nvidia. (Understand, I'm wearing my red hat in saying that --one of the gifts of being a Civil War buff is I can switch hats pretty easily to try to figure out where the other guy is coming from).

I disagree. They could have worded it differently and emphasized their retention of leadership while still sticking it to Nvidia. Something simple like "Over the next 90 days you will see us extend our performance lead in the high-end segment" would have done a much better job.

The word "recapture" completely dilutes any sting that sentence may have had. The "from ourselves" part just makes it sound like like they're not sure what they want to say - it certainly doesn't appear to be a jab at Nvidia. If that was their intention their choice of wording was very poor.

nagus said:
sounds like 30 days to me...

Listened to it a couple times. I think the 30 comes from the fact that the preceding word was "next". So the "t" in next kinda flowed into the next word. But I listened for a distinctive "th" sound and didn't hear any so I settled on ninety. It's all PR bullshit anyway unless they have a couple G71's in house.

Back