ATI FY2006Q1 Results and Conference Call

trinibwoy said:
I disagree. They could have worded it differently and emphasized their retention of leadership while still sticking it to Nvidia. Something simple like "Over the next 90 days you will see us extend our performance lead in the high-end segment" would have done a much better job.

The word "recapture" completely dilutes any sting that sentence may have had. The "from ourselves" part just makes it sound like like they're not sure what they want to say - it certainly doesn't appear to be a jab at Nvidia. If that was their intention their choice of wording was very poor.

Of course its a jab at NV. As you point out, it doesn't make a lot of sense on its own terms. . .so either they are incompetent nincompoops (a popular theory in some quarters), or it is a reference to another unstated (in this call anyway) event. And that event would be the release of GTX512 and NV's claim that GTX512 gives them performance leadership again. It simultaneously acknowledges NV has made the claim, and refutes it (from ATI's pov) --and all without actually mentioning NV or GTX512. In other words, CEO's like to do a little gentle trash talking too. :LOL:

And the tipoff is at the beginning of the call when he says that x1800xt is the performance leader for cards shipping in volume.

geo said:
And the tipoff is at the beginning of the call when he says that x1800xt is the performance leader for cards shipping in volume.

Yeah but notice the vast difference here. In the first one they establish the availability factor. The second one just sounds confused.

I think you're taking the perspective of what they were trying to do. I'm looking at what they actually did. I really don't see how you can interpret folly like "recapture from ourselves" as a cheeky jab at another party. It just sounds stupid. But enough haranguing over little words...let's just agree that I'm right :p

Trini, you're slowly becoming WaltC, just obsessed in the opposite direction. That signature is having a bad effect on you.

Jawed

Jawed said:
Trini, you're slowly becoming WaltC, just obsessed in the opposite direction. That signature is having a bad effect on you.

OMG!!! Take that back!! NOW!!! :cry: And for the record I've said 100x more positive things about ATi than Walt has about Nvidia :p

Back