ATI Financial Health Pre-Acquisition

Razor1

Veteran
Ok... I definitely worded that wrong.
They weren't bought because they were doing so good but at the time they were bought they were doing quite well.

they weren't doing quite well, they were going down to pretty much making a loss or just beaking even.

Well look what happened...
For some reason, AMD was quite happy to spend ~$5bil on them which they are now considering too much

They did that to keep investors happy.

they weren't doing quite well, they were going down to pretty much making a loss or just beaking even.

ATI Reports Results for First Quarter of Fiscal 2006
  • All product lines contribute to 26% sequential increase in revenue
  • In October 2005, ATI introduced the Radeon X1000(TM) family of 90 nanometer products, delivering price/performance and image quality leadership in all segments of the desktop PC market.
  • ATI recently introduced the Mobility Radeon X1600 - the industry's first 90 nanometer notebook discrete GPU.
  • In the first quarter, ATI shipped more than 21 million visual processors for the handheld market - equal to about half its handheld volumes for all of fiscal 2005.
  • ATI recently shipped its 10 millionth chip for high-definition integrated digital televisions (HD IDTVs)
  • The Xbox 360(TM) game console featuring ATI's custom-designed GPU with the world's first unified shader architecture launched in November 2005, ushering in the era of high-definition gaming.
  • During the quarter, ATI repurchased 408,100 shares for $5.7 million under its share buyback program.

ATI Reports Results for Second Quarter of Fiscal 2006
  • Record revenues of $672 million
  • Launched the Radeon(TM) X1900 XTX and CrossFire(TM) Xpress 3200, reinforcing ATI's performance leadership in GPUs and chipsets.
  • Announced and shipped the Mobility(TM) Radeon(R) X1600, X1400 and X1300, leadership 90 nanometer mobile graphics solutions that offer the best visual quality to notebooks at every price point.
  • Shipped nearly 25 million Imageon(R) processors for the handheld market, and introduced the Imageon 2380 and 2388 processors and a complete DVB-H solution for the emerging mobile TV market.

ATI Reports Results for Third Quarter of Fiscal 2006
  • Revenues up 23% year-over-year; record quarter for chipsets, handheld and DTV
  • Acquired Bitboys Oy, a leading developer of mobile graphics technology based in Helsinki, Finland.
  • Announced a strategic partnership with Nokia aimed at delivering a new era of multimedia experiences and solutions for the consumer. This includes ATI working closely with Nokia and key developers to help drive content through a support network of ATI dedicated tools and software development kits.
  • Introduced the CrossFire(TM) Xpress 3200 - the first chipset with true, unrestricted dual x16 PCI Express(R) performance delivering the enthusiast gaming platform of the future.
  • ntroduced the Radeon(R) Xpress(TM) 1100 chipset series supporting AMD's Turion(TM) 64 X2 mobile technology.
  • Introduced the FireGL(TM) V7350, the world's first 1GB graphics accelerator for the professional workstation market.
  • Repurchased 1,523,900 shares for an aggregate $24.7 million under a normal course issuer bid.

Not to mention, they did make make a good amount of money in all three quarters and obviously no fourth quarter because of merger. I would have to dig thru AMD's numbers to find that and I don't want to. They did infact have little over one billion in cash on hand. They definitely were not going to AMD for financial help. Seems to be a combined rally of investor savy(5.5 billion dollars will do that to you) and future outlook on technologies road maps. Although More investor savyness on ATi's part, and more of a technology outlook on AMD's part. Now could they have been just fine without AMD take over? Oh I believe so, no doubt as with reasons listed already.

take a look at their net profits then talk about it. Gross is nice but where is the money for R&D and future expenses coming from? Gross?

Net for 4th quarter all the way up to around 2nd quarter of 07 or possible even 3rd Q 07 was down to 5 million if I remember correctly.

Remeber this Ortan specifically stated they saw no long term growth, where ATi lost major Marketshare, thats opposite of what he stated, no long term growth where you are lossing marketshare.

take a look at their net profits then talk about it. Gross is nice but where is the money for R&D and future expenses coming from? Gross?

Yes, you can see those numbers in the links. Net income for all three quarters was 75 million. Bank account getting fatter each quarter. I would like to see hard reports on AMD's graphics division from Q4 of 2006 to Q3 of 2006. Regardless, a 5million loss in those quarters each is not something to be scared about. Infact I'm willing to bet that the loss would of been less or even turned into profit if they had not sold to AMD. Mainly because of Intel based chipsets.

But alas, if you want to keep a discussion, then make a thread about it or get a mod to move it into one. I'm done intrerupting the topic. :p

funny you say this when ATi ended up lossing major marketshare starting from the introduction of the GF8's and you think 40 million in over all profits came solely from Intel chipsets. BTW that third quarter net profits were lower then 2nd quarter. What would have happened in the past year if they didn't merge with AMD, we would have seen a company that probably would not be around for much longer.1 billion in cash would go so fast when making almost nothing for the bottom line.

funny you say this when ATi ended up lossing major marketshare starting from the introduction of the GF8's and you think 40 million in over all profits came solely from Intel chipsets. BTW that third quarter net profits were lower then 2nd quarter. What would have happened in the past year if they didn't merge with AMD, we would have seen a company that probably would not be around for much longer.1 billion in cash would go so fast when making almost nothing for the bottom line.

You clearly are not understanding and have little idea what you are talking about. So again, I guess this time I will ask a mod here to take the time and effort to move this into a new thread.

You clearly are not understanding and have little idea what you are talking about. So again, I guess this time I will ask a mod here to take the time and effort to move this into a new thread.

please explain then because I see ATi's balance sheets not so healthly after 2005

interesting ATi division had an operating loss of 13 million in q4 of 2006.....

Cash was down to 512 million in 3rd of 06 they were losing money.....

Last edited by a moderator:

I never said 40 million would of come from Intel platform based chipsets. I said the loss would of perhaps been less or even turn a slight profit. What would of happend if they did not merge with AMD? Nothing worse than what were are seeing today from the graphics division. And how could it be worse? They would have more markets opened to them. So yes, the AMD merger actully hurt ATi more than helped. At least in the short term sence and the only reason I say that is because of Fusion and future APU's.

ATi could lose over 100 million in operating loss a quarter for 5 consecutive quarters and still have cash left. I'm not arguing if they loss money in Q4 06, all the way up to Q3 07, I'm saying ATi as a whole company would not be doomed to die just becuase of 3 bad quarters and the GF8 series. That is really a stretch of imagination.

please explain then because I see ATi's balance sheets not so healthly after 2005

Total revenue of 2005 ending Q4 was 2.2 billion. Total revenue ending Q4 2006 was 2.4 billion. Year to year net income for 2005 was actully a loss of 10 million. Year to year net income for 2006 was over 60 million. So no, I don't know what balance sheets you are looking at. All the information is in front of you at ATi's archives.

Cash was down to 512 million in 3rd of 06 they were losing money.....

From Q2 in the same year? I would imagine so, they bought 25 million in shares plus bought XGI and Bitboys. Excluding that, their total cash capital was actully higher than in the same period of 2005.

I never said 40 million would of come from Intel platform based chipsets. I said the loss would of perhaps been less or even turn a slight profit. What would of happend if they did not merge with AMD? Nothing worse than what were are seeing today from the graphics division. And how could it be worse? They would have more markets opened to them. So yes, the AMD merger actully hurt ATi more than helped. At least in the short term sence and the only reason I say that is because of Fusion and future APU's.

ATi could lose over 100 million in operating loss a quarter for 5 consecutive quarters and still have cash left. I'm not arguing if they loss money in Q4 06, all the way up to Q3 07, I'm saying ATi as a whole company would not be doomed to die just becuase of 3 bad quarters and the GF8 series. That is really a stretch of imagination.

Total revenue of 2005 ending Q4 was 2.2 billion. Total revenue ending Q4 2006 was 2.4 billion. Year to year net income for 2005 was actully a loss of 10 million. Year to year net income for 2006 was over 60 million. So no, I don't know what balance sheets you are looking at. All the information is in front of you at ATi's archives.

From Q2 in the same year? I would imagine so, they bought 25 million in shares plus bought XGI and Bitboys. Excluding that, their total cash capital was actully higher than in the same period of 2005.

What happened to the billion dollars in cash and liquidable assets you were talking about previously? Now its at 500 million, and read whats under the balance sheets

The loss of cash and assets weren't all due to the buyouts.

Cash position (cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments) at quarter end was $518 million, down from $587 million at August 31, 2005 and $607 million at February 28, 2006. The sequential decrease reflects the reduction in cash from operations, as well as $24.7 million in share repurchases and $37.2 million on the acquisitions of XGI and Bitboys. At May 31, 2006, we had working capital of $702 million as compared to $660 million at August 31, 2005.[/font]

That leaves $10 million from last year took the wrong number, was going a bit too quick, but in one quarter they lost close to 90 million take out the 60 for the buy outs well ok 30 million per quarter and this is without the bigger hits of after the r600 came out. Gotta look at the cash and short term assets from the previous quarter not the year before , now look at the balance sheets and show me where these numbers add up, loosing cash in hand and showing how the increase in net profits? Doesn't add up. The numbers can be changed to show positive light, that is what good accounting is all about, now not saying anything is written wrong, just saying ATi was bleeding cash which didn't really show up on their bottom lines.

Now from q1 06 to 07 there was a drop in 1 milliion is cash and cash equivalents

now look at inventory, every q since q1 06 it has increased thats not a good sign and q3 it went up a not so good 10%. With all these two things ATi wasn't in good shape, it shows a company loosing cash, and people not buying products as expected. even before the buyout occured, and the r600 bomb didn't appear till well afterwards which AMD and possibly even ATi (and that is being generous on ATi, they probably had a good idea it wasn't going to do too well against the g80, hence the delays) didn't know until it was too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back