ATi and Futuremark, 3Dc

AndrewM said:
[Sorry mate, but DST is actually part of DirectX. :)

Yep you are correct :oops: , I did not do my research on that one as I knew one of the formats was not. The case still stands, why the double standard ?? Reality says " If you pay xxx amount of $$, we will make your hardware shine", and I truly believe how this works.

AndrewM said:
Doomtrooper said:
...and it was a part of DirectX, unlike DST.

Sorry mate, but DST is actually part of DirectX. :)

Help me out here as I'm by no means a "techie". :)

I was under the impression that DX had some limited way of handling DST, the fact that a card didn't support DST didn't make it DX9 non-compliant & that nV cards didn't even DO DST in the way that DX calls for anyway.

Can you confirm that DST is part of DX in the same way as SM3?

DST is part of DX9 in that you dont need FOURCC codes to use it, but I don't know If there is any specification how how it is supposed to work.

Colourless said:
DST is part of DX9
Yes, you can set a depth stencil surface as a texture.

in that you dont need FOURCC codes to use it, but I don't know If there is any specification how how it is supposed to work.
Texture filtering is the problem. Bilinear is not bilinear on NV hw (it becomes PCF bilinear).

What happens if the depth value is used in a pixel shader for some post-processing effetct? Let's assume we use a blur filter for the post processing. What happens on NV hw?

DST itself is not the issue. Filtering is.

Back