Asynchronous Compute : what are the benefits?

For Bonaire and friends it would be. That wasn't what GCN started out with.

I thought the PS4 GPU was based off the Pitcairin, but the competitor pointed out it's actually of the Sea Islands family...? Perhaps it's just the rebranding that's confusing.

If you review the AMD Sea Islands ISA doc, there are a number of references to the volatile flag Cerny said was created for the PS4, and there are new status bits that match a value that allows programmers to change the cache behavior of a wavefront without changing out the shader.
There are driver comments related to Sea Islands that mention independently commanded DMA engines, which resembles some of the discussed usage of DMEs in the other console.

The cloud of features that corresponds to Bonaire and later implementations deviates from what Tahiti and the early wave of GCN chips had.

GCN prior to the new range of IP has two ACEs, each with a single ring buffer.

I thought the PS4 GPU was based off the Pitcairin, but the competitor pointed out it's actually of the Sea Islands family...? Perhaps it's just the rebranding that's confusing.

It's not. We know it features numerous architectural enhancements, including some that have made their way into Bonaire. Neither console GPU is based directly on any PC GPU.

The question is not the number of ACEs but if the shaders in Hawaii and family are a more efficient evolution of Tahiti shaders or not and if so if Curacao ( new version of Pitcairn ) is what is inside PS4.

The question is not the number of ACEs but if the shaders in Hawaii and family are a more efficient evolution of Tahiti shaders or not and if so if Curacao ( new version of Pitcairn ) is what is inside PS4.
why would volcanic island be whats inside ps4?

The original GCN architectural announcement way back with Tahiti mentioned user queues, but my interpretation of how compute is handled prior to Sea Islands is that the device driver is involved.

AMD makes an explicit mention for Sea Islands that its queues are user-level.

(Replying in a proper thread to end the off topic post in the other thread)

It was for repeated posting the same thing over and over. You would also get an infraction for not understanding arguments if that was allowed. No-one said compute wasn't viable, or an advantage, or would not yield better performance. The argument was entirely about claims (whether just poorly worded or extremely confused) that a GPU with 1.84 TFlops peak throughput could process more than 1.84 TFlops by using asynchronous compute. Arguments for and against were presented. Your argument ended up just repeating the same quotes. You were warned that that was not suitable discussion and if you find yourself just repeating points, drop it and agree to disagree.

I'll undelete your off-topic post so everyone can publicly see the actual wording of the warning. Then they can crucify me for being a mean, Nazi mod silencing the dissenters, or agree with me that you were taking the discussion down a dead-end. Etiher way, I don't want to hear about that infraction raised again. This is the second time you've raised it in the forum when talking about compute on PS4. It's old news. Move on.

I wasn't repeatedly posting the same thing over & over again I was replying to people & pointing out what was said by Sony to begin with & if what I was saying was leading to a dead end why are we here today looking at a PDF showing how The Tomorrows Children use asynchronous computing to save time on rendering?

http://fumufumu.q-games.com/archives/2014_09.php#000934

X8FcwRe.png

This is what I said below in blue.

Hasn't it been said that the PS4 GPGPU has 8 Asynchronous Compute Engines instead of the 2 ACE's that the other AMD GCN cards have?

& with Asynchronous computing code can run on the same thread without having to wait for the other task to finish as long as the tasks are not blocking each other so a graphic code that takes 16ms & a compute code that takes 10ms can run at the same time in the same threads & only take 16ms to complete instead of 26ms.

this is what I'm getting from it could be wrong but that's the way it seem to me after reading about Asynchronous Computing.

so even though it's not going to give you 2X the power for graphics it can still run the graphics task and the compute task at the same time because they just past through each other instead of the slower car holding up traffic.

so you can use the full 1.84TFLOP for graphics & still run physics & other compute tasks on the GPGPU as long as the tasks are not blocking one another.

I think I found an explanation the compute code will run at times when the graphic code is waiting.

http://cs.brown.edu/courses/cs168/f12/handouts/async.pdf

2 The Motivation
We’ve seen that the asynchronous model is in some ways simpler than the threaded one because there is
a single instruction stream and tasks explicitly relinquish control instead of being suspended arbitrarily.
But the asynchronous model clearly introduces its own complexities. The programmer must organize each
task as a sequence of smaller steps that execute intermittently. If one task uses the output of another, the
dependent task must be written to accept its input as a series of bits and pieces instead of all together.
Since there is no actual parallelism, it appears from our diagrams that an asynchronous program will
take just as long to execute as a synchronous one. But there is a condition under which an asynchronous
system can outperform a synchronous one, sometimes dramatically so. This condition holds when tasks are
forced to wait, or block, as illustrated in Figure 4:

Figure 4: Blocking in a synchronous program
In the figure, the gray sections represent periods of time when a particular task is waiting (blocking) and
thus cannot make any progress. Why would a task be blocked? A frequent reason is that it is waiting to
perform I/O, to transfer data to or from an external device. A typical CPU can handle data transfer rates that
are orders of magnitude faster than a disk or a network link is capable of sustaining. Thus, a synchronous
program that is doing lots of I/O will spend much of its time blocked while a disk or network catches up.
Such a synchronous program is also called a blocking program for that reason.
Notice that Figure 4, a blocking program, looks a bit like Figure 3, an asynchronous program. This is
not a coincidence. The fundamental idea behind the asynchronous model is that an asynchronous program,
when faced with a task that would normally block in a synchronous program, will instead execute some other task that can still make progress. So an asynchronous program only blocks when no task can make
progress (which is why an asynchronous program is often called a non-blocking program). Each switch
from one task to another corresponds to the first task either finishing, or coming to a point where it would
have to block. With a large number of potentially blocking tasks, an asynchronous program can outperform
a synchronous one by spending less overall time waiting, while devoting a roughly equal amount of time to
real work on the individual tasks.
Compared to the synchronous model, the asynchronous model performs best when:
There are a large number of tasks so there is likely always at least one task that can make progress.
The tasks perform lots of I/O, causing a synchronous program to waste lots of time blocking when
other tasks could be running.
The tasks are largely independent from one another so there is little need for inter-task communication
(and thus for one task to wait upon another).
These conditions almost perfectly characterize a typical busy network server (like a web server) in a
client-server environment. Each task represents one client request with I/O in the form of receiving the
request and sending the reply. A network server implementation is a prime candidate for the asynchronous
model, which is why Twisted and Node.js, among other asynchronous server libraries, have grown so much
in popularity in recent years.
You may be asking: Why not just use more threads? If one thread is blocking on an I/O operation,
another thread can make progress, right? However, as the number of threads increases, your server may start
to experience performance problems. With each new thread, there is some memory overhead associated
with the creation and maintenance of thread state. Another performance gain from the asynchronous model
is that it avoids context switching — every time the OS transfers control over from one thread to another it
has to save all the relevant registers, memory map, stack pointers, FPU context etc. so that the other thread
can resume execution where it left off. The overhead of doing this can be quite significant.​

But they are talking about running Compute on the GPU.

What was intriguing was new data on how the PlayStation 4's 18-compute-unit AMD graphics core is utilised. Norden talked about "extremely carefully balanced" Compute architecture that allows GPU processing for tasks that usually run on the CPU. Sometimes, employing the massive parallelisation of the graphics hardware better suits specific processing tasks.

"The point of Compute is to be able to take non-graphics code, run it on the GPU and get that data back," he said. "So DSP algorithms... post-processing, anything that's not necessarily graphics-based you can really accelerate with Compute. Compute also has access to the full amount of unified memory."

"The cool thing about Compute on PlayStation 4 is that it runs completely simultaneous with graphics," Norden enthused. "So traditionally with OpenCL or other languages you have to suspend graphics to get good Compute performance. On PS4 you don't, it runs simultaneous with graphics. We've architected the system to take full advantage of Compute at the same time as graphics because we know that everyone wants maximum graphics performance."

Leaked developer documentation suggests that 14 of the PS4's compute units are dedicated to rendering, with four allocated to Compute functions. The reveal of the hardware last month suggested otherwise, with all 18 operating in an apparently "unified" manner. However, running Compute and rendering simultaneously does suggest that each area has its own bespoke resources. It'll be interesting to see what solution Sony eventually takes here.

Wait! What was I trying to suggest? the only thing that I been pointing out is that Sony said the PS4 will be able to compute while getting the maximal amount of graphics out of the 1.84TFLOPS without the computing taking away from the graphics.

Well they did.

The system is also set up to run graphics and computational code synchronously, without suspending one to run the other. Norden says that Sony has worked to carefully balance the two processors to provide maximum graphics power of 1.843 teraFLOPS at an 800Mhz clock speed while still leaving enough room for computational tasks. The GPU will also be able to run arbitrary code, allowing developers to run hundreds or thousands of parallelized tasks with full access to the system's 8GB of unified memory.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...4s-hardware-power-controller-features-at-gdc/

"The cool thing about Compute on PlayStation 4 is that it runs completely simultaneous with graphics," Norden enthused. "So traditionally with OpenCL or other languages you have to suspend graphics to get good Compute performance. On PS4 you don't, it runs simultaneous with graphics. We've architected the system to take full advantage of Compute at the same time as graphics because we know that everyone wants maximum graphics performance."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-playstation-4

The compute units are being kept busier. This is the entire point of asynchronous compute.

They aren't going "above 1.84 TF".

The cited image is actually a very interesting illustration of the concept by providing a mapping of a GPU's throughput (or rather, one SIMD in the excerpt) where color along the vertical axis corresponds to quanta of utilization while time is tracked along the horizontal.

The total area is an x,y depiction of what it is to be a GPU with (or again, a portion of it) of 1.84 TF/s of peak throughput.
(edit: technically not a direct mapping of vector throughput, just a measure of general utilization)

White space in that area represents unutilized cycles, whereas a use case with 1.84 TF/s of throughput would completely fill the area.

Going above that would theoretically have the colored region bleed out and overwrite part of the forum post, or something.

They can't exceed 1.84 TF/s. They're illustrating that it's easier to come close to reaching that number using asynchronous compute. It's not 1.84TF/s for graphics + x for async compute. It's 1.84 TF/s total (y TF/s graphics + x TF/s async compute), if that makes sense.

The compute units are being kept busier. This is the entire point of asynchronous compute.

They aren't going "above 1.84 TF".

They can't exceed 1.84 TF/s. They're illustrating that it's easier to come close to reaching that number using asynchronous compute. It's not 1.84TF/s for graphics + x for async compute. It's 1.84 TF/s total (y TF/s graphics + x TF/s async compute), if that makes sense.

That's well known.

But what is being shown is that the same 1.84 TFLOPS GPU can get about 25% more work done per second when you are using asynchronous compute as part of the pipeline vs only using the 1.84 TFLOPS GPU with just the graphics pipeline.

I'm going to end this conversation here. Applying my OnQ translation unit, because OnQ does have a very unique way of expressing himself that leads to a lot of confusion -

OnQ - With a 1.84 TFlops GPU, you can get a certain amount of graphical work from it. Let's call that 100 VGUs visible graphical units. With asynchronous compute, you still get 100 VGUs from the GPU, but also get some GFlops of extra processing done. As such, async compute provides you with some GF of compute in addition to 1.84 TFlops of graphical processing (100 VGUs).

Everyone else - Yes, that's right if you want to look at it that way. Of course, you can never exceed 1.84 trillion calculations per second no matter what the workload, but where the GPU hits a processing bottleneck limiting the graphical throughput, you can still gain calculations for the GPU for other tasks.

The End. Continued repeated discussion covering the same old ground will be axed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to end this conversation here. Applying my OnQ translation unit, because OnQ does have a very unique way of expressing himself that leads to a lot of confusion -

OnQ - With a 1.84 TFlops GPU, you can get a certain amount of graphical work from it. Let's call that 100 VGUs visible graphical units. With asynchronous compute, you still get 100 VGUs from the GPU, but also get some TFlops of extra processing done. As such, async compute provides you with some TF of compute in addition to 1.84 TFlops of graphical processing (100 VGUs).

Everyone else - Yes, that's right if you want to look at it that way. Of course, you can never exceed 1.84 trillion calculations per second no matter what the workload, but where the GPU hits a processing bottleneck limiting the graphical throughput, you can still gain calculations for the GPU for other tasks.

The End. Continued repeated discussion covering the same old ground will be axed.

But I'm not saying you're getting addition TF of compute I'm saying that the fix funtion graphic pipeline isn't using all of the 1.84TFLOPS so using asynchronous compute will get you more out of the 1.84TFLOPS than you would get using just the graphic pipeline.

Which is what I've said. I'm pretty sure everyone else will get what I've written, we'll all be on the same page, and can draw a close to this pretty straightforward tech.

Which is what I've said. I'm pretty sure everyone else will get what I've written, we'll all be on the same page, and can draw a close to this pretty straightforward tech.

But the part about additional TF is where everyone is confused & I never said that & in the end the PDF is basically saying what I said in the beginning.

PDF said:
Here is a RTTV capture of the same, fairly heavy frame.
On the top we’re using just the graphics pipe.
On the bottom we’re using Async Compute.
As you can see on the bottom, everything is a lot more overlapped, and we take about
5 or 6ms less.
This is with exactly the same shaders, doing exactly the same work.
So, anyway, if you aren’t looking at using Async Compute on PS4 yet, YOU
SHOULD!

with Asynchronous computing code can run on the same thread without having to wait for the other task to finish as long as the tasks are not blocking each other so a graphic code that takes 16ms & a compute code that takes 10ms can run at the same time in the same threads & only take 16ms to complete instead of 26ms.

this is what I'm getting from it could be wrong but that's the way it seem to me after reading about Asynchronous Computing.

so even though it's not going to give you 2X the power for graphics it can still run the graphics task and the compute task at the same time because they just past through each other instead of the slower car holding up traffic.

so you can use the full 1.84TFLOP for graphics & still run physics & other compute tasks on the GPGPU as long as the tasks are not blocking one another.

But the part about additional TF is where everyone is confused & I never said that & in the end the PDF is basically saying what I said in the beginning.
with Asynchronous computing code can run on the same thread without having to wait for the other task to finish as long as the tasks are not blocking each other so a graphic code that takes 16ms & a compute code that takes 10ms can run at the same time in the same threads & only take 16ms to complete instead of 26ms.
Right.

Right.

Right.

Wrong as written. If you are using all 1.84 TFlops for graphics, there's no space left for compute. Which lead to the old argument and many, many posts. If you aren't using all the 1.84 TF for graphics work (because the graphics don't tap all resources all the time), you can slot some compute in there and get more from the GPU than otherwise.

Back