Asynchronous Compute : what are the benefits?

Then why did Sony - as per Mark Cerny's statements - explicitly asked for a larger number of ACEs for the PS4, up from 2 ACEs/16 threads the GCN1.0 GPUs already supported?
And why did AMD later bring this enhancement to Hawaii, Tonga and Fiji?

Then why did Sony - as per Mark Cerny's statements - explicitly asked for a larger number of ACEs for the PS4, up from 2 ACEs/16 threads the GCN1.0 GPUs already supported?
It's to support the possibility of having a lot of small jobs being queued up for processing. It doesn't increase performance.
Back up a couple of posts and sebbbi covers async threads.

Last edited:

I never said it is not useful but it is maybe not useful without two others modifications volatile bits and the bus Onion +

I talk about the only developer giving an example of ACE usage in a PS4 title...

Last edited:
Sounds like UE is late to get with async compute. Reading the doc it seems to only be available to Xbox One, and that's because Lionhead developed the feature and contributed it back into the engine. I imagine PS4 will be added soon.

Sounds like UE is late to get with async compute. Reading the doc it seems to only be available to Xbox One, and that's because Lionhead developed the feature and contributed it back into the engine. I imagine PS4 will be added soon.
IIRC this was added by Lionhead quite a while ago just after LPV GI but has only now been officially been included in the main branch. I'm surprised that another studio hasn't done the same for PC and PS4 yet.

And this is my question: It looks like UE 4.9 supports AC under Xbox Ones own Direct3D API and DX12 (which will come soon) is not necessary.
Dx12 has more features and improvements over dx11_fast semantics. It's likely added to both to support any transition titles, but I would bet if I had documentation that dx12 will deprecate dx11 fast semantics going forward as the low level API and dx11.3X will replace dx11X.

Did we ever figure out why PS4 was almost 2x faster at Ubisoft's cloth simulation?

htPLye9.png

Back