Article: A Quick Look at IDT & DisplayPort

B3D News

Beyond3D News
Regular
Integrated Device Technology has just announced their entry into the DisplayPort market, and we took this opportunity to chat with IDT's Chad Taggard, Vice President of Strategic Planning and Worldwide Marketing. This article is a status check on DisplayPort based on our discussion (and several other sources), as well as a look at IDT's entry in the market and what it all means.

Read the full article

Uh, wow.

I should be happy that Displayport could become the new computer video connector standard instead of AV industry standard HDMI because:

1. Board manufacturers won't have to pay $0.04/SKU!
2. ?

AMD and NVIDIA stockhholders should be pleased. As for the rest of us, um..?

Uh, wow.

I should be happy that Displayport could become the new computer video connector standard instead of AV industry standard HDMI because:

2. ?

Direct Drive is my primary point of interest in Displayport, assuming it will in fact bring down the cost of large (22"+) LCD monitors.

Consumers certainly are the ones which have the least reason to be happy about this; there still are a number of direct and indirect advantages though:
- Assuming HDMI doesn't support AC Coupling very soon, that might have increased costs on 45nm GPUs (no idea by how much though), and that would have been passed to consumers. Hard to say whether that's 100% negligible or not.
- Likely better positioned to truly replace VGA ports on notebooks, since DisplayPort would have become the internal connection standard anyway.
- Direct Drive monitors might be pretty cool, we'll have to see out it turns out however.

I'm also curious how expensive Luxtera's CMOS Photonics cables for DisplayPort are going to be. If the price is reasonable (which is a big if), that might be appealing for consumers desiring long cables for a reason or another.

Direct Drive is pretty dang sexy. A half inch thick (thin?) 24" or 30" monitor would just be irresistable. Assuming that video card based scaling is better than the HQV scaler in my 30", I'd be seriously tempted in replacing it. Ugh...more money.

I would imagine not having to drive all the additional electronics, scaler, deinterlacer, etc would also result in reduced power consumption of a computer display. Only downside is that the display could do double duties as a TV display without going through the PC.

I'm also curious how expensive Luxtera's CMOS Photonics cables for DisplayPort are going to be. If the price is reasonable (which is a big if), that might be appealing for consumers desiring long cables for a reason or another.

I could certainly use a diplay cord roughly 30-40 feet long. Currently my home server has no monitor since I connect to it remotely for most admin purposes. However, on the rare times I need to hook up a display I have to disconnect one and cart it over. A minor hassle but a long cable coupled with a good kvm or wireless keyboard would do wonders to ease this.

Regards,
Moger

Uh, wow.

2. ?

http://www.hothardware.com/News/DisplayPort_Cards_Coming_AMDs_RV635_Unveiled/

Well, aside from Direct Drive monitors --as discussed in the link above (an upcoming ATI card with DisplayPort), there is also the fact that Display Port connectors are smaller than DVI and allow for daisy-chaining monitors. This means you get a lot more monitor capability for the amount of space taken up in your machine. Also less space taken up on the faceplate of a given video card. Which in turn might mean fewer dongles with special purpose stuff on them down the road.

I would like to hear more about convertors tho (price, availability, type), as presumably that will be important down the road and cut down on savings for awhile as IHVs have to provide DisplayPort-to-VGA or DisplayPort-to-DVI.

I wonder how daisy chaining will work out. I don't imagine you'd be able to daisy chain multiple high resolution monitos as it only has the bandwidth to drive a 2560x1600 10 bpc display.

You'd still need 2 connectors to drive a 3840x2400 display.

Regards,
SB

Back