arrrggghhh! can't burn CDs in Windows anymore

Don't know if this has anything to do with anything but I recently downloaded all recent HotFixes for XP

Now there is a HIGH-MAT page before I can burn a CD [not using it] and the program refuses to burn anything* and keeps telling me that my CDs may no longer be usable!!! - I can burn them with any other program!?
Another thing is, Windows seems to only be able to allow recording on one drive at a time (if I select one, the other one unchecks itself) has this always been the case? - regardless, neither drive works with Windows built in program anymore.

*was trying to burn some personal JPEGS and MOVs for my sis

If you feel like paying, Nero is the best burning software around. A very good free alternative is CDBurnerXP.

That said, if you really want to use windows, the HIGH-MAT support is a separate update that can be uninstalled through Add/Remove programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but as I said, I can burn using other apps - one of those being NERO - I just wanted to solve this mysterious new problem I have with Windows.
I don't know if it has happened immediately after High-MAT was installed (and I realise I can uninstall this bolt-on separately) because I don't often burn using Windows. I just happened to come accross this because I was using it for convienience and the data wasn't critical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest on this...
...STILL FUCKED!

Whichever state the Imapi service is set to (manual/automatic) it always ends up 'stopped'
This appears to be the reason nothing is burning.
If I start it, then Explorer crashes when I choose the 'send to' shell function, with an error in shdocvw.dll (6.0.2900.2805)
Explorer then restarts and, if I go to Services, I see that the Imapi service is stopped again.
That particular version of shdocvw.dll appears to have come with a recently installed service pack - KB905915

Other things to consider:
Both drives are runnning in DMA mode, one @ 66 and the other @ 33, on the same cable and channel.
ASPI layer seems to be fine.

Look in Event Viewer

Had the same problem years ago, and I forget how I resolved it now, but look in event viewer for error mssg. Maybe already done, but people forget.....

Back