Are these good components for my <3 Dave system?

And to your original question, you can fit any ATX PSU into the P183, the bay is oversized to fit the custom CP-850.

Regards,
SB

I've already got the PSU so I can't get the Antec PSU and besides that its not very available here. Thanks for your info! :)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Silverstone Raven 2? I can get a pretty good price on one of those and a lot of the reviews come in positive.

No experience with it ... it seems a bit out of proportion to the rest of the build, given the specs of your system any decent case will do. I like the P182 because of the looks (P183 is hideous) but it's not very roomy, has no gap to access a cooler backplate and the airflow for the GPU is not ideal. Raven is pretty close to ideal airflow for the GPU ... pity it's so fugly.

Not a big fan of custom fan sizes though ... it's not like you need all that fan power to cool your system, P182 could handle that with 2 120mm system fans running at 600 RPM ... I have a hard time believing you can get those 180mm monsters as quiet regardless of RPM.

No experience with it ... it seems a bit out of proportion to the rest of the build, given the specs of your system any decent case will do. I like the P182 because of the looks (P183 is hideous) but it's not very roomy, has no gap to access a cooler backplate and the airflow for the GPU is not ideal. Raven is pretty close to ideal airflow for the GPU ... pity it's so fugly.

Not a big fan of custom fan sizes though ... it's not like you need all that fan power to cool your system, P182 could handle that with 2 120mm system fans running at 600 RPM ... I have a hard time believing you can get those 180mm monsters as quiet regardless of RPM.

The reason why I was interested in the Raven 2 is because of silentpcreview.com which listed it as being a little quieter compared to the P183 but its also 15% cheaper and it would look easier to route the cables. In addition to this the fan layout is perfect for the modern HD 5xxx series as it feeds the air intakes at the end of the cards.

I actually like the P183 (Also had a P180 that I gave to a friend). It has a GPU fan you can install also, but you lose 2x3.5" internal drive bays if you use it. Almost got a P193, but that one is truly hideous with the wart on the side.

Also like how the P183 has all that room behind the MB mounting plate to route cables (P180 didn't have any room back there).

I seriously looked at the Raven 1. But the price and looks convinced me not to get it even though I liked the interesting cooling solution. Raven 2 didn't impress me nearly as much. And in the end the P183 was by far the best case with regards to price, cooling, and relative silence.

Regards,
SB

The reason why I was interested in the Raven 2 is because of silentpcreview.com which listed it as being a little quieter compared to the P183
In a rather hot setup (cf 4870) with stock fans. Stock Antec fans are complete crap.

If you got some decent coolers you could run with 4 or 5 120mm 600 RPM fans in the P182 with your CPU/GPU ... and that's about as quiet as a computer is going to get with active cooling. The 180mm fans in the Raven 2 can run at 700 RPM though ... it's probably quiet "enough" and it does have better capability for hotter systems in the future, so if you can get it cheaper go for it I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a rather hot setup (cf 4870) with stock fans. Stock Antec fans are complete crap.

If you got some decent coolers you could run with 4 or 5 120mm 600 RPM fans in the P182 with your CPU/GPU ... and that's about as quiet as a computer is going to get with active cooling. The 180mm fans in the Raven 2 can run at 700 RPM though ... it's probably quiet "enough" and it does have better capability for hotter systems in the future, so if you can get it cheaper go for it I'd say.

Awesome, thanks for the information.

Hehe, I almost got the P193, wart and all, to make sure I had room for the 5870, but the reports of excessive noise (for a QuietPC) kinda turned me off it. I'm happy enough with the P183 though, only lost 1x 3.5" internal drive bay. :D

Regards,
SB

FYI - I pair a Phenom II 3.2GHz with a Cypress XT, and its rather fine. 3.0GHz and Cypress PRO would be a nice match as well.

Buy PII @ whatever and overclock it past the 965BE. :p
Although, it would be better for AMD's financials if you get the higher-clocked model. ;)

Back