Are these good components for my <3 Dave system?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Im just doing an end of year bored at home want to build a PC refresh and since im slightly biased towards AMD now for being awesome I figured I would go AMD.

So... Are these good components?

AMD Phenom II 945 95W 3.0Ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
Powercolour 5750 1GB
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W

That was quick! Is there enough :love: Dave in there? Should i upgrade to the 5850 for the extra :love: Dave because hes the product manager for the Cypress GPUs?

5850 would be worth the money if you can afford it, imho. Noice system. :yep2:

Well... if it raises the :love: dave quotiant then I guess it might be justified. I will just have to live with my silly 17" AOC dinosaur for a little longer. I wonder if i can enable 16xMSAA mode on Crysis with the 1024 by 768 resolution?

Eek 17"? Kill it with fire! :LOL:

Silencer 750 is way overkill- you would make do with a 650W (even 500-550 would do).
Recommended a 5770 (more margins more :love:? :p) and a 22" wide LCD if it's possible.

You should be able to get the 955 for about the same price, no?

How about one from the Corsair HX/VX line if you can find it? HX520/VX550/HX650 should be fine IMO. Hell, I'd bet that even HX450 is enough.

Well... if it raises the :love: dave quotiant then I guess it might be justified. I will just have to live with my silly 17" AOC dinosaur for a little longer. I wonder if i can enable 16xMSAA mode on Crysis with the 1024 by 768 resolution?
Ouch! I think the money might be better spent on a new widescreen 18" or something, you can pick 'em up for like $99 shipped now. :oops:

I was a CRT hold out for a loooong time, glad I finally made the switch. As soon as we replaced one CRT the other three were gone within the year. :yep2:

Ouch! I think the money might be better spent on a new widescreen 18" or something, you can pick 'em up for like $99 shipped now. :oops:

I was a CRT hold out for a loooong time, glad I finally made the switch. As soon as we replaced one CRT the other three were gone within the year. :yep2:

I can't bring myself to purchase anything less than a 24" LED 120hz model. I had my old computer stolen so im working my way back to something which is decent and that means living with a craptastic monitor for a couple of months. So its a stand in for a while until I can build up the funds to get something better.

Btw I just purchased the PC Power and Cooling one because it was on special for the same price as lesser branded Corsair 550W PSUs so I could not pass it up. I have a soft spot for that brand of PSU for some reason. So it is overkill but its overkill which didn't cost me anything.

Oh and the 945 was more 20% cheaper than the 955 so it was hard to justify going bigger especially when I could just give it a mild overclock as the TDP is already so low.

you will be using sparse grid supersampling. I can't stress out how excellent games will look at 4x in 1024 by 768. that was with a 3dfx card, which I can no longer use. but I'm still using the same display.
that 17" IBM CRT still goes strong and I just can't give up 100Hz mode (which it does at 1024).

too bad anime has been switching from 4:3 to 16:9 :).

Just an update I've purchased everything except for the GPU.

Btw is the Logitech Z-2300 any good for a 2.1 system?

Z2300 is old but good, from my limited experience with it as a retail salesman a few years back. Comparing the demo songs on those speakers to most other 2.1 systems put it at the top of its class, excepting Klipsch of course.

Thanks, Shaider.

Btw: Does anyone have any experience with the Cooler Master HAF 932?

Altec Lansing MX5021/PT6021 are much better than Z2300. Logitech only has better bass, but only if you like it boomy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Altec Lansing MX5021/PT6021 are much better than Z2300. Logitech only has better bass, but only if you like it boomy. :)

Have they gotten any better? I've gone through about 5 different sets of Altec Lansing speakers over the years and they have all universally sucked. Last set was 3-4 years ago though.

The good thing about them at the time was they were cheap compared to the competition. Even at the cheaper prices I stopped recommending them to budget computer buyers after some of them even complained.

Regards,
SB

Have they gotten any better? I've gone through about 5 different sets of Altec Lansing speakers over the years and they have all universally sucked. Last set was 3-4 years ago though.

The good thing about them at the time was they were cheap compared to the competition. Even at the cheaper prices I stopped recommending them to budget computer buyers after some of them even complained.

Regards,
SB

Are there any new speakers coming out? A lot of the speakers in my price search engine are listed as being 3+ years old!

Btw will a PC power and cooling silencer 750W fit comfortably into an Antec P183? What about the P193?

Btw will a PC power and cooling silencer 750W fit comfortably into an Antec P183? What about the P193?

If you are using a P-183, I highly recommend the Antec CP-850, built specifically for the P-183 and a couple other of the antec cases.

This coming from someone who absolutely HATES Antec power supplies, but this one is actually really good.

The good, extremely quiet due to the huge straight through fan with lots of room for airflow, and it's quite well priced, you can find them for as low as 110 USD sometimes. The bad, it will ONLY fit in 3 Antec cases.

Review at silentpcreview.com. http://www.silentpcreview.com/Antec_CP-850

Pay special attention to the SPL chart on the bottom of this page where it's tested in the P-183. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page6.html

In the P-183, no other PSU will stay as quiet at load as this sucker.

It's what I'm using and is the only Antec PSU I've ever used that's worth more than 5 dollars. :p

And to your original question, you can fit any ATX PSU into the P183, the bay is oversized to fit the custom CP-850.

Regards,
SB

Back