Are "Game Design" schools any good?

nintenho

Veteran
So I was wondering how good these schools actually are and what they do. I've heard that they have a bad reputation with game companies because a lot of the people who go to them are basically college flunkies who want to make "GTA but better". However, I've heard that Digipen is a really good school if you want to be a programmer. I don't think I could be very competent in that, but the background couldn't hurt I guess.

Basically, tell me anything and everything you know about these schools.

Thank you kindly,
nintenho

Do these colleges provide you with basic knowledge of mathematics, 3D rendering, advanced engineering mathematics used for all purposes, etc...?

I would say no. Personally I would just go straight for a computer science degree and learn from there, the rest will come to you.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Do these colleges provide you with basic knowledge of mathematics, 3D rendering, advanced engineering mathematics used for all purposes, etc...?

I would say no. Personally I would just go straight for a computer science degree and learn from there, the rest will come to you.
I know that they teach 3d modeling and the Digipen is apparantly a very good school for programmers. As for getting a computer science degree, programming just isn't something that interests me.

Back