Applying thermal compund between CPU and heatsink

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Currently I'm still using teh default thermal pad however I would like to stick some of my 3-5 year old thermal paste (it's inside a syringe) onto it instead.

Is it still good and how much should I use?
I used this stuff on my Pentium 4 previously however I'm not entirely sure whether it helped in any way and these thermal pads don't go back on the cpu after you have taken them off.

Can someone tell me how to take the thermal pad off properly?

Thanks.

Use a razor to scrape it off. Be gentle and don't scratch the heatsink.

Whatever's left, I usually take a normal plastic sandwich bad and try to rub off as much as I can.

After that, take 90+% Iso Alcohol and rub off everything that's left (with a lint free cloth).

I usually do steps 2 and 3 on the CPU core as well.

After that, you are free to apply the new paste. Use a paper thin layer. Don't use too much.

How is the consistancy of the thermal paste Kruno, and why don't you want to use the pad?

I actually usually do use the pad if they're pre-attached, but I have scraped 'em off too. I prefer lighter fluid to rubbing alcohol, but both work.

If the thermal paste isn't dried out it should be ok, and stuff in a syringe usually lasts pretty well. Sometimes you'll have to push a little of dry-ish stuff out before you get to the good paste, just check it.

John Reynolds said:
Thermal pads are generally better.
Really? I've always thought of them as "just as good", but I thought a well planed heatsink and well applied high-quality thermal compound were a skotch better.

No biggy, just curious. I've heard it argued both ways, that's sort of why I stopped scraping them off as they really did seem to work just as well and it was a lot easier to do and I'm very lazy. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Really? I've always thought of them as "just as good", but I thought a well planed heatsink and well applied high-quality thermal compound were a skotch better.

No biggy, just curious. I've heard it argued both ways, that's sort of why I stopped scraping them off as they really did seem to work just as well and it was a lot easier to do and I'm very lazy. ;)
The pads harden after some time, making a bond. With the paste, there is a small risk of creating bubbles when the heatsink isn't put firmly in place. But I don't think there's a large difference in heat conductivity. And the paste is thinner, which is actually better.

digitalwanderer said:
John Reynolds said:
Thermal pads are generally better.
Don't sweat it Dig, JR's just not into thermal pumpin'...

The pads that typically come with cheap heatsinks are much worse than thermal grease because they are much too thick. There are some higher performance pads, and slopping too much grease on will probably make it perform worse than a mediocre pad, but in general grease is a much better alternative when appied correctly. Almost any compound you place between the heatsink and the processor has a higher resistance than metal, so the best method is to make sure the surface of the heatsink is as flat as possible, then use a very, VERY thin coating of thermal compound to fill in the microscopic gaps created by the unevenness of the surfaces.

Of course, increasing the pressure of the connection between the heatsink and processor will also have large impact on the thermal resistance.

I prefer lighter fluid to rubbing alcohol, but both work.

As long as you clean the residual lighter fluid with isopropyl alcohol then it's ok. Lighter fluid as a cleaning solution is not very good though because it leaves an oily residue. Also highly concentrated isopropyl alcohol is recommended vs "rubbing alcohol" which may contain too much water.

rashly said:
I think that most people using something like artic silver have lower temps than people using default pads.

Made 5°c difference for me using Artic Silver 5 over standard Intel CPU pad. Never heard of a pad out performing paste.... ?

Paste is better than pads when properly applied. The only advantage pads have is that they are easier to apply correctly, so those cack-handed amateur builders get to have most of the performance of well applied paste, with easier application.

You need to use an extremely small amount of paste. Just a glaze on top of the die. Heatspreaders may need more though cuz they can have quite a bit of curvature. Go look at Artic Silver's own instructions.

I am very fond of ArtiClean personally for cleaning up that paste/pad/wax/etc. It smells so nice, cleans as well as the the worst crap at the hardware store, and is non-toxic! Can't beat in any way other than its cost.

My tools for cleaning are Acetone, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, and coffee filter paper. The coffee filters are better then cotton swabs because they don't leave any lint, fibers, or scratches.

I use Acetone to remove the pad from the heatsink. Just soak for a while and the pad will basically dissolve away; perhaps needing some rubbing with the coffee filter. Then rinse with strong isopropyl alcohol to clean any residue.

I'm more skittish about using acetone on the chip itself so I just use alcohol on it. It's not quite as strong as acetone so it takes a bit longer.

The default pads are really not to bad when you build lots of systems that are made to run at nothing but defaults. I only apply grease on gaming systems and my own systems, and I generally shy new builders away from applying grease untill they have installed a few heatsinks and understand how thin of a layer of grease you really need.

I have pretty good success with the Artic Silver 5
After you have everything clean follow these steps.
1) put a dab on the heatsink in the area that is going to contact the chip.
2) Now use a platic sandwhich bagg and rub it into contact area.
3) Now clean the excess of so that it looks clean(All you were doing is filling the micro pores and scrathes)
4) now put a dab (small amount in center of chip. ) (Because my water block hold downs are in the way I smear it around on the chip) The correct way is to just put dab in center lower the heatsink onto it and ever so slightly move it around and fasten it down.:p

Back