Apple is an existential threat to the PC

It's not removing it (for now). It's sucking it up into its own vertical integrated ecosystem. Their microled R&D will benefit no one but Apple.

Apple market share and ecosystem have been growing for 5 years now.

How is Apple rolling its own silicon and operating systems removing investment in technology? Display technologies, OLED, QD, foldable, seems to be higher than ever, as does investment in improving network technologies.

Can you point to some actual evidence of investments reducing, and where you can, can you pinpoint Apple being the cause? Because I've see no evidence at all and you're been plugging away at this narrative for five years now.

Seems like pure fantasy. Apple tends to have a highly profitable but small-market-share business. I haven't seen any industries that overlap with apple slow down.

I believe Mac shipments are down, just not as much as PCs. But there's been a lot of discounting too, of Mac laptops in the last 6 months or so.

As long as they price most of them well over $1000, they won't gain enough market share.

Same thing with iPhones, they skim the top of the market, those willing to pay more. But there are fewer such consumers.

Obviously they can be fantastically profitable with this strategy, targeting the more affluent buyers.

Qualcomm will try to have its Apple Silicon moment in PCs with “Snapdragon X”

Ars Technica said:
So why will Snapdragon X be any different? It's because these will be the first chips born of Qualcomm's acquisition of Nuvia in 2021. Nuvia was founded and staffed by quite a few key personnel from Apple's chipmaking operation, the team that had already upended a small corner of the x86 PC market by designing the Apple M1 and its offshoots. Apple had sued Nuvia co-founder and current Qualcomm engineering SVP Gerard Williams for poaching Apple employees, though the company dropped the suit without comment earlier this year.

The most significant change from current Qualcomm chips will be a CPU architecture called Oryon, Qualcomm's first fully custom Arm CPU design since the original Kryo cores back in 2015. All subsequent versions of Kryo, from 2016 to now, have been tweaked versions of off-the-shelf Arm Cortex processors rather than fully custom designs. As we've seen in the M1 and M2, using a custom design with the same Arm instruction set gives chip designers the opportunity to boost performance for everyday workloads while still maintaining impressive power usage and battery life.

Zen 5, Strix-Halo, and this - 2024 is going to be one of the more interesting years in the PC CPU space in a long time.

If rumors in the background are to be trusted, they'd be lucky if X is competitive to the M2. Personally I wouldn't mind at all if resulting devices integrating an X SoC will have a far better price/performance ratio then competing Apple devices; au contraire....

Yeah, more good competition is good for customers. Also, it's been a while since I went to look at Windows on Arm (WoA); wonder how those fools are doing?

Does Windows for ARM have emulation mode to run x86 binaries?

Or are the Windows ARM devices their own thing, separate from the larger Windows ecosystem?

But in exchange for less compatibility, better energy efficiency per watt?

I’m ready for huge shakeups in the pc space even if it’s messy. I want Linux as a true gaming option and I want arm as a hardware option.

It's probably just me, but I'd also love to see cost effective, low end & low weight laptops on Android.

But can it run Crysis?

It can, the original Crysis (GOG) at least, but not remastered because there is no Vulkan driver (Surface Pro X with SQ1/8cx Gen. 1).

It's not (always) a question of the raw performance.
I’m ready for huge shakeups in the pc space even if it’s messy. I want Linux as a true gaming option and I want arm as a hardware option.
It's not the same, but Windows Subsystem for Linux works fine on it: https://learn.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/arm/dev-kit/

NVIDIA reportedly is designing upcoming Arm-based CPUs for Windows PCs for launch in 2025

NVIDIA may be about to go after Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm in providing CPUs for PCs running Microsoft's Windows operating system. A new report from Reuters, citing unnamed sources, claims NVIDIA is designing Windows CPUs using technology from Arm.

The report claims that NVIDIA's first Arm-based Windows CPUs could launch as soon as 2025. The same report claims AMD is also designing its own Arm-based processor that could also launch around the same time as NVIDIA's CPUs.

Back