Apple is an existential threat to the PC

It would depend on what DF has for use-cases. Lets summon Alex for some input ;) They are very much into gaming lately, so thats something to bear in mind aswell.
They definitely do a lot of video editing and analysis. I think they do both on Adobe Premiere and then voice over as well. It's fairly compute extensive task.

They definitely do a lot of video editing and analysis. I think they do both on Adobe Premiere and then voice over as well. It's fairly compute extensive task.

If they are on A12900k/3090 systems, those are either matching or outperforming the highest end Ultra. Whilest consuming more power ofcourse, but its not like they can do away everything else they do (rendering, gaming etc etc) in favour of select performance improvements.Maybe the DSP's/hw accelerators could mean something, but those are present on 3090's aswell in different forms. For them getting M1 Ultra systems woudl mean complementing their current systems, not swapping, for a slight performance improvement in some cases, worse in others. I dont think its a good ROI for DF.
I hope @Dictator can chime in.

Btw, in Xcode the m1 ultra is very far away from doubling M1 max performance. Wasnt this supposed to be linear, due to it being basically seen as a single chip? Software optimizations should have little to do with that.

If they are on A12900k/3090 systems, those are either matching or outperforming the highest end Ultra. Whilest consuming more power ofcourse, but its not like they can do away everything else they do (rendering, gaming etc etc) in favour of select performance improvements.Maybe the DSP's/hw accelerators could mean something, but those are present on 3090's aswell in different forms.
I hope @Dictator can chime in.

Btw, in Xcode the m1 ultra is very far away from doubling M1 max performance. Wasnt this supposed to be linear, due to it being basically seen as a single chip? Software optimizations should have little to do with that.
They won't switch off their current setup. 3090 does everything they need.
I'm just curious how laborious the task is for them.

They won't switch off their current setup. 3090 does everything they need.
I'm just curious how laborious the task is for them.

They wont see many speed improvements over what they have. They would see lower power drawn from the wall though. Its a hard-take, DF usually doesnt dive so much into exporting videos, creation and apple products. Heavily gaming-oriented channel, so consoles and windows gaming. Still, lets see if Alex can chime in ;)

AMD 5950x/3090 outperforms, or matches the maxed Ultra at its own game (synthetic exporting/creation benchmarks), for less money and you can upgrade. In real world its going to be even more intresting. A little suprising the m1 ultra isnt totally crushing everything in the cinebench synthetic benchmarks.
And as many are mentioning (comments sections everywhere), the Ultra variants are being compared to a different group of hardware, you really arent in the regular consumer CPU/gpu market anymore with a starting price at 4000 us dollars. 3970x or up (or the zen3 variants/intel side) for example. In performance that is.
Isn’t the cheapest 3090 like $2899 before taxes right now?

And what if we start rendering something that uses more than 24GB?

Isn’t the cheapest 3090 like $2899 before taxes right now?

I think I saw them for 2700 CAD in store which was fairly reasonable at the height of scalping.
2899 USD is brutally high.

That will likely be an offline renderer, which tend to be able to accelerate out of core.

Also a studio will buy you a lot of render farm time which is obviously going to blow any desktop machine out of the water for speed.

I would say the base line Mac Studio is great value considering the current prices of GPUs.

I recently sold my 5 year old VEGA FE for the same price I bought it for.

Sounds like it definitely saves a lot of time. Not sure if @Dictator wants to chime in here, but I recall the DF team all having 3090s for faster video editing/encoding for their work. The FPS analyzer is a plugin for Premiere? that analyzes the video in real time while they cut stuff up I think.

For video encoding I use Handbrake, for no particular reason than I know how to use it and it supports Apple's hardware encoding hardware, general GPU encoders, any eGPU hardware encoders and the CPU of course. Any device that can rub two bits together, Handbrake can use it to encode video and it uses open source libraries and has a great command line functionality. :yes:

Compiling is not something that scales linearly. From the benchmark results here:

https://github.com/devMEremenko/XcodeBenchmark

You can see that even comparing between M1 Max and M1 (8+2 vs 4+4) M1 Max is only about 40% faster, and both are monolithic chips.

Yeah, I wouldn’t buy from the recently launched DashShips with zero feedback, even if it is through Amazon heh.
So then order it for five dollars more ($2325) from Etechtopia who's been there for a few years and has 93% lifetime good rating on 1800 reviews.

Point is, you can find these in stock for ~$2300 right now, and they're getting cheaper.

Even more to the point of this topic, a 3090 will utterly destroy the M1 in this use case. Why even spend that money? A 3080Ti can be had for $1650 and will do ~95% of what the 3090 would do in CUDA video editing terms. If all we're doing is Handbrake, then buy a 3050 for less than half of the 3080Ti cost (and almost a quarter of the 3090 cost) and get literally the same performance result.

Amazon.com : Etechtopia GeForce RTX Search Results (the 3090, 3080Ti and 3050 pricing is there)

Last edited:
Well, it’s good we at least can agree on that it doesn’t sell for msrp.
So then nothing about why a 3090 isn't even a valid comparison to begin with? Or are we just skipping the part where calling the M1 (of any flavor) any sort of "competitor" to a GPU in the 3090's space is purposefully misleading?

So then nothing about why a 3090 isn't even a valid comparison to begin with? Or are we just skipping the part where calling the M1 (of any flavor) any sort of "competitor" to a GPU in the 3090's space is purposefully misleading?
The only comparison I did with the 3090 were with Redshift and how 24GB of VRAM set it apart from every other RTX card.

The M1 Max does get close in rendering the Moana Island scene.

3090 = 21m:45s
M1 Max = 28m:27s

I also don’t think the 3090 is faster at exporting large RAW images or video for that matter. On the other hand I also don’t expect M1 Ultra to be competitive in gaming, blender or octane.

Regardless I think the performance coming out of that little 3.5 liter box that uses less power than the 3090 alone is impressive.
They are both tools to get work done, so use whichever suits your needs best. I have no clue why Apple would even compare the M1 Ultra to the 3090 to begin with.

Back