Apple is an existential threat to the PC

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by MfA, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

Cinebench with M1 support, https://apps.apple.com/de/app/cinebench/id1438772273?l=en&mt=12

BRiT likes this.
  2. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

#362 pcchen, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  3. Pressure

Veteran Regular

It will throttle more in the fanless MacBook Air form factor though. I believe it only has a 10W TDP.

4. Entropy

Veteran

The devil is in the details though. Will it throttle at all in normal use, or is the fan there mostly to ensure unhampered operation even when in warm conditions and/or squeezed into an insulating case? How much? Is it only when CPU, GPU and memory system are hammered simultaneously, or when you browse the web?
    It simply requires testing, and of course comparison to how other solutions work in similar conditions.
    It’s nice to not have a fan than can break, get clogged, or be rendered inefficient by covering air intakes or outlets. Then again it would be frustrating if the computer slowed down the instant you actually want to use it for something where its theoretical power would be useful. Now I believe that a couple of hundred million iPads gives Apple a good idea of how to deal with the issue (not to mention they have been wrestling with this in their notebooks for a loooong time now), but having some kind of handle on this from reviews would be appreciated.

5. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

#365 Arnold Beckenbauer, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    PSman1700 likes this.
  6. Kyyla

Veteran

Man I want this CPU in my PC/console running games. Not office/web browser. Anything can manage that.

7. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

I dont see Apple as a threath to PC, console or server market really. If its as fast or faster then say a AMD cpu running your pc or console, does it really matter?

8. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

It's not a threat to the enterprise PC market, as I don't think Apple wants to play in that space. But the majority of PC's sold are laptops, and if you are able to sell a laptop with double the battery life of similar laptops in its class while potentially offering superior performance, but can also run all the same apps people know from their iPhone to boot, it's definitely a threat for a good chunk of consumer purchases.

9. xEx

xEx
    Veteran Newcomer

"double the battery life of similar laptops in its class while potentially offering superior performance" When did we start believing Apple's propaganda?

Michellstar and Ike Turner like this.
  10. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

11. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

Guess we'll see? Considering what they can achieve with Apple silicon so far in considerably smaller form factors (eg: iPad), it can't be hand waved away so easily imo - we have a basis for evaluating their marketing claims, this isn't simply taking their hype as gospel for a completely unknown architecture.

12. Entropy

Veteran

The 11" iPad Pro has half the battery capacity of the MacBook Air, has a 10h active battery life at 150nits and run an A12z that is similar to the M1 but on 7nm. I don’t think Apple is bullshitting regarding battery life actually.
    A threat to the markets, no. It doesn’t operate in either console or server space, and almost ten years back they already owned 90% of the $1000+ PC market. They can’t increase their volume there, apart from those PC users they might be able to lure to increase their spending. And there can’t really be too many of those around.
    (Actually, it’s been really difficult to figure out just how many PC systems are actually sold annually to private individuals as opposed to companies and administrations.)

Over time they might affect what people ask for in PC space, but if the systems are bought by employers and administrations as opposed to the end users themselves, the effect might not amount to much.

DSoup likes this.
  13. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Battery life is mostly a software issue and other efficiency losses due to lack of vertical integration/coordination on windows, a couple 10s of percent in the power consumption for a processor don't make that much of a difference.

Just detect when the laptop is only doing browsing and video watching and only have one active core with non aggressive turbo and then you can have 24 hour battery life for Intel too. Too much of the processor tends to get woken up way too soon.

14. xEx

xEx
    Veteran Newcomer

Well yes but we aren't talking about just slightly better but "double" there are already laptops with 20-24H of battery life so we to talk about Apple's laptop having 40+Hours. Not gonna happen.

I really doubt their claims on this, they run the task with no fix luminescence but "8 clicks from the bottom" What does that suppose to mean? We also have to see if 4 cores are enough for today's world and many other things.

The only thing I learn from Apple's presentation is that we will know nothing about how good or bad this is until officials reviews are made.

PSman1700 likes this.
  15. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

Since they're reporting an increase of 6 and 10 hours for the Air/Macbook Pro over their Intel counterparts, apparently it does make a bit of difference.

16. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

While we wait next week for more 'real world' benchmarks of the M1, here's one from a developer of Affinity Photo, comparing it to a 6 core 3.7ghz 2019 iMac (i5 9600k I believe):

17. Entropy

Veteran

Thanks. I use Affinity Photo, and those results are quite remarkable.
    Extra relevant for B3D, unverified GfxBench results.
    Quite good, compared to pretty much anything with reasonable power draw. Just above Radeon Vega Pro 20, for instance.

18. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Who says they've been working as hard on battery life extension for Intel as they could have been the last couple years?

19. Pressure

Veteran Regular

All 8 cores are available at any time. It’s not a big.LITTLE arrangement.

20. xEx

xEx
    Veteran Newcomer

You cannot count the 4 miniature cores as they were equal to the 4 "real" ones.