Apple iPhone and iPad Usage Discussion

patsu

Legend
Bought my first piepad just the other day, and it's been a pretty nice experience so far. However, Apple still needs to work on their integration I'd think, setting it up by restoring an iphone icloud backup installs iphone apps on the pad when there is an ipad version of the apps available in the app store for example. Also, it says settings do not copy over, even though the vast majority of settings are identical between ipad and iphone. This seems an unnecessary and arbitrary limitation, especially when a person like me moves from having had an iphone only and thus don't have any ipad backups yet to restore from.

Also, damned if I know how to make my photos share over to the ipad. Photo stream is activated in icloud, but nothing actually copies over.

Photo Stream sends your photos to other iOS devices via Wifi (I think) as long as they share the same Apple ID.

In the new iCloud Photo Library, all your local photos are synced automatically to iCloud and then pushed down to other devices. Via Settings, you can optimize local storage by keeping lower quality photos locally.

The air2 pad is still somewhat heavy in a way. Probably not compared to the pre-air pads (the original retina ipad was almost obnoxiously heavy after extended hand-held use I recall), but it feels a little hefty still all the same. The weight is probably unavoidable though, if one wants sufficient rigidity in the product... You wouldn't want the screen cracking because you hold the pad solely by one corner for example. :)

The built-in speakers feel very weak. My iP5S makes LOTS more noise and its single speaker is smaller than the dual drivers in the pad. Weird. Maybe is because of THX lawsuit against Apple using resonance chambers, I dunno.

Air 2 is actually pretty light. I can feel the difference against older iPads in my hands. But if you slip on a protective case over it, then it will feel bulky again.

Preferred the iPad mini size, but I got Air 2 anyway since my wife plays educational games with my son together on the iPad often.

I haven't noticed any undue heating yet by the way. No app I've used so far has made the pad get more than even slightly warm. Even the initial setup with massive simultaneous app downloads, installs and battery charging going on at once didn't heat the device much. In contrast, my iP5S got really warm during that stage.

Photo Stream sends your photos to other iOS devices via Wifi (I think) as long as they share the same Apple ID.
That's what I thought it would do, but it doesn't want to do it, even when using same icloud account on both ios units, as well as my mac.

Bit annoying, methinks. And weird. Apple is supposed to be "magic", so be magic then, f--ksake! :D

That's what I thought it would do, but it doesn't want to do it, even when using same icloud account on both ios units, as well as my mac.

Bit annoying, methinks. And weird. Apple is supposed to be "magic", so be magic then, f--ksake! :D

Grall, it only makes photos available that are taken AFTER photo stream is set up. It doesn't go directly via wifi. it goes device->apple->device.

If that's not how it is working for you, I'm thinking the issue isn't an apple one !

Grall, it only makes photos available that are taken AFTER photo stream is set up. It doesn't go directly via wifi. it goes device->apple->device.

If that's not how it is working for you, I'm thinking the issue isn't an apple one !

You might have to turn on the PhotoStream setting under Settings -> iCloud.

Actually I turned it on my Mac, in Aperture and it tried to upload/sync thousands of my DSLR RAWs and it was pegging the CPU.

Instead, you can make albums which sync up to PhotoStream. Albums would be any subset of photos you want to upload and share. So I made some albums, some as many as a couple of hundred photos, instead.

Even then, my iPad Mini (with A7) choked syncing to it at first.

I suppose it's convenient to have every pic you take with your phone sync automatically to your computer. However a lot of pics are mundane things like scanning receipts and photo notes that you take as reminders to check something out later.

So I turned off Photostream and manually sync photos periodically.

But I think the new thing is iCloud Photo Library which in conjunction with iCloud Drive allows you to store full RAWs up on iCloud, if you're willing to pay for the storage, and be able to access them from all iOS devices.

Syncing from what kind of photo device, iPhone?

Or a memory card from a camera?

Image Capture works but if you're dealing with hundreds of images per import, it's kind of a hassle to manually select the ones you want to import.

Back