Apple appears to intentionally break Nvidia eGPU builds with OS update

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Mize, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Wasn't AMD chips similarly affected as well? I'm not sure, it was so long ago now I can't remember.

2. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

While still proprietary their OpenGL (under Linux) support is pretty good, the proprietary on Linux is still a bugbear for many though (I can see their POV but the results offset this some)

3. rcf

rcf
    Regular Newcomer

AFAIK Apple's Metal API isn't an open standard, and Nvidia's OpenCL/GL support on MacOS is better than what's available by AMD and Apple themselves.

4. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

I am not sure that is right about OpenCL when compared to AMD, although quite a few feel Apple has not been enthusiastic pushing-supporting it as much these days.
    OpenGL Nvidia has been strong with even though using proprietary drivers.

5. Pressure

Veteran Regular

It's true, no argument against that. However it were the case before Metal became a thing for MacOS.

6. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran

Nvidia does provide up to date drivers for MacOS despite not having any recent design wins.

Apple is all about vertical integration and does not gladly suffer any component supplier that tries to negotiate a pricing deal that isn't wildly favorable to Apple.
    Suppliers should be properly thankful and humble for the privilege of being part of Apple products until such a time that Apple can phase them out.
    Nvidia is on the naughty list for not joining in the Stockholm syndrome and trying to run a sustainable business.
    You can soon add Intel to the list of used and discarded ex-lovers like Nvidia, Qualcomm, Imagination and Samsung.

digitalwanderer, DavidGraham and Mize like this.
  7. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

IHVs are willing to do whatever it takes to get in businesses with apple because apple sets trends.
    Sometimes they're disgusting and inexplicably stupid trends, like the rise of the screen notches and murdering the stereo analog jack, but like it or not, they're trend setters.

What did Qualcomm ever sell to them? Modems?

Regardless, I think there was an article from Reuters (or could it be Bloomberg?) suggesting that apple isn't going away from x86, they're going with AMD APUs instead.
    Which kind of makes sense, considering AMD CPU cores don't suck anymore and they're better positioned to produce APUs with higher-performing iGPUs.

This might also shed some light on why Intel, after apparently firing most of the people who working on Gen9, did a 180ยบ by hiring Raja and apparently starting to invest heavily into GPU tech... They could be trying to reverse the situation.
    Macbooks, imacs, etc. anything apple are trend setters. If HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus and other companies with ever so little imagination start seeing apple using AMD SoCs exclusively, you bet they'll be pushing for more AMD design wins in their solutions.

8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Yep, modems. But they actually still sell them to Apple, so Qualcomm isn't one of the "discarded ex-lovers". They still use Samsung displays too, even though there's rumors of them switching off this year, so not ex-lover either (yet).

9. Pressure

Veteran Regular

TB1 and TB2 are back with a simple script. Unofficial of course. NVIDIA still need some work.

Lightman, digitalwanderer and Mize like this.
  10. ToTTenTranz

I could swear apple was using Intel modems.
    Regardless, that narrows the list of "ex-lovers" down to nvidia and PowerVR.

11. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Apple uses both Intel & Qualcomm modems at the moment, Qualcomm for CDMA models and Intel for GSM models (in general, could be exceptions too where faster Qualcomm is used on GSM models too in some parts of the world). There are rumors of Apple ditching Qualcomm altogether, but no proof so far and not the first time such rumors exist.

12. Sxotty

Veteran

I thought not. Long time back though.

13. ToTTenTranz

14. DSoup

DSoup meh

I'm pretty sure if it was mostly the Geforce 8600+ line of GPUs failing resulting in Apple have to replace entire motherboards because of GPU failures. I had one of the 2008 MacBook Pros with 8600M that Apple had to replace, twice, because of the same GPU fault and which on the second failure they offered a full refund or replacement with their [then] latest MBP with AMD GPU.