Apple 30 inch monitor work with Windows XP?

suryad

Veteran
Well the title says it all. Personally I think it should work but seeing that it is a giant of a monitor and requires a specially engineered 6800 graphics card to drive it...I am tending to think otherwise.

And also if the DDL graphics card wont work for Windows is it cause of drivers?

Yes it works.

It doesn't need the special graphics card or special drivers
those are only for the Macintosh.
(you may still need two dvi ports though)

I think it works with any dual output card.

Just so you know, these monitors don't support resolutions under 10x7, which means no signal when posting or in the bios. At least that's what I heard.

LeGreg said:
Yes it works.

It doesn't need the special graphics card or special drivers
those are only for the Macintosh.
(you may still need two dvi ports though)

So...the nvidia card wont work under Windows then? Sorry I could not really understand if you were saying yes they will work under Windows or no they wont. :oops:

Search google, but it appears you need a card that supports "dual link" DVI output (which is not necessarily a card with two DVI outputs).

Some of the quadro cards do this. I don't know about any ATI cards.

RussSchultz said:
Search google, but it appears you need a card that supports "dual link" DVI output (which is not necessarily a card with two DVI outputs).

Some of the quadro cards do this. I don't know about any ATI cards.
Same there. Some Firegl cards support it (FireGL 5000, FireGL 7100, FireGL X3-256). Only one dual-link dvi port though, the other one is single-link, so you can hook up only one of those 30" apple displays, not two of them :). At least it SHOULD run. (In theory you could drive a high-resolution tft with only single-link dvi if you just reduce the refresh rate below 60Hz, but the driver needs to allow it and the display might not accept it due to stupid input logic, and afaik the apple display is very picky about what it accepts).

The Dell 24" isn't an (uglier, natch, but so much cheaper) option?

6" and 600 pixels (in the horizontal) smaller

But yeah, I think I'd rather the 24" that works with any video card monitor, rather than the 30" that is extraordianarily picky.

PC-Engine said:
Does anyone know who's LCD panel this 30" LCD is using? It has pretty crazy resolution. :oops:

I know Apple is using Sharp for their 20" and 24" panels, but I'm not sure if it's the same on the 30".

ANova said:
PC-Engine said:
Does anyone know who's LCD panel this 30" LCD is using? It has pretty crazy resolution. :oops:

I know Apple is using Sharp for their 20" and 24" panels, but I'm not sure if it's the same on the 30".
I was sure it was LG..?
the same panels you can get for cheap, with out the $$$ extra plastic.

karlotta said:
ANova said:
I was sure it was LG..?
the same panels you can get for cheap, with out the $$$ extra plastic.

You're right it is LG, I couldn't recall off hand.

Back