APB hype train embarking from GDC '08 (PC/X360)

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
This game has been known about and even seen some discussion before. Personally, I think the only context I ever really thought about it in was. "Why are Realtime Worlds making this when they should be making Crackdown 2?"

After David Jones' GDC presentation, however, this game is now centered on my radar. It currently has top billing at both IGN and 1UP. And I highly recommend checking out those previews for more detail on the game.

Briefly, however, you are in an MMO with two factions which equate to "Cops" and "Robbers". As a criminal you or your group get missions from your hierarchy (this is organized crime :)) and commit crimes. While you are in the process of committing your crime an APB goes out which through a matchmaking process attempts to find an appropriate level enforcer or group of enforcers to take you down before you complete your mission. In the example given four inexperienced characters are pitted against one veteran enforcer. The enforcer wins with the help of his trusty rocket launcher(!).

Interest piqued yet? Hit up the previews I linked to for more on the character creation system, unique support for custom soundtracks and other features the game is promising.

Sounds good!

In a room filled with hundreds of developers eager to see what Jones had cooked up, we sat in a sea of people who make games for a living overheard saying everything from, "Oh wow!" to, "Why didn't I think of that?"

If they'll manage to make it as fun as Crackdown, it's gonna be a biggie! :)

Thanks for the links, looked for some converage today with Video or pictures.

This is made by the man that made GTA3 afaik?

Of course there was more than one man :)

I'm more inclined ATM to purchase this over GTA as it seems much deeper in the online presence, customization. I don't know much about GTA's online component so I'll reserve final judgment, but after Crackdown (one of my favorite games this gen) I'm not doubting RTW.

If they'll manage to make it as fun as Crackdown, it's gonna be a biggie! :)

Looks the plan is to make a MMO GTA3 that is fun and a MMO without grind where you level up as you play.

Not impossible at al, if they add content all the time (on the fly) and dont have a visible lvl cap it could work just fine.

And if it´s fun it will be my new home as well. I really like the concept of a CS action driven MMO style GTA3 game where your dynamically paired with someone "your lvl".

Add some singler player "NPC" driven content and you have a small revolution.

Hype mode confirmed

i hope it has a hidden lvl up and down. like if you fight with your fist you start doing more damage over time but later on if you switch to a gun most of the time you start getting weaker in a brawl. or if you move alot you get faster if you camp alot you become a fat slob

Eurogamer E3 preview.

Exciting is an apt description for almost everything about APB. There's nothing else in development quite like it: perhaps the first true combination of the ethos of offline, open-world, sandbox games with an internet connection. Realtime's willingness to step back from the design and put technology in the hands of players is an extremely bold experiment in a conservative sector of a conservative industry. But it is just that - an experiment. It's hard for anyone to tell whether or not it will work, especially with the scant information we currently have on the game's brass-tacks mechanics. But it's going to be fascinating finding out.

GI.biz David Jones interview.

Interesting. I'm not sure the persistent world aspect of it will be realized without the PC version launching simultaneously or first.

I can't imagine many people leaving their X360 on 24/7 in order to host a persistent world. Add to that will an X360 have the resources to host a 100 person persistent world with the level of character and world customization that is claimed?

Regards,
SB

I don't really know how the xbox360 online side runs, can companies set up their own servers if they want to? There's a line in the interview where he says "And we've signed a deal with a company on the hosting side" although there's no hint to which platforms that applies to.

Interesting. I'm not sure the persistent world aspect of it will be realized without the PC version launching simultaneously or first.

I can't imagine many people leaving their X360 on 24/7 in order to host a persistent world.

It should be fairly obvious to everyone that this will run on dedicated servers!

I don't really know how the xbox360 online side runs, can companies set up their own servers if they want to? There's a line in the interview where he says "And we've signed a deal with a company on the hosting side" although there's no hint to which platforms that applies to.

Companies can set up their own dedicated servers for x360 online, just like PSN. EA has dedicated servers for a lot of their games, like BF.

I think it's slated for PS3 aswell, I'm not sure if it were on Sony's press conference or EA, but I recall being surprised when I saw it, since I tought it were a 360-exclusive. :)

Hm, strange. I thought I had just seen them say that only PC would be getting the game.

The latest word is that only the PC version will be available initially. Other version(s) will follow at some unannounced later date. I would guess that if the game doesn't succeed on PC it probably won't end up making it onto consoles at all.

The latest word is that only the PC version will be available initially. Other version(s) will follow at some unannounced later date. I would guess that if the game doesn't succeed on PC it probably won't end up making it onto consoles at all.

Right, that's what I had heard. I couldn't find it on the usual blogs, though. Thanks.

Back