Anyone know what SEGA is working on for next gen?

Some people just don't get it, just like some people never appreciated NiGHTS or Burning Rangers. It is perfectly ok.

I liked Nights! Shenmue just seemed boring to me, and that's from a former Sega whore that had every console and attachment they made including the Saturn, Sega CD, 32x and even the CDX. Yes I was ridiculed for playing Sonic 3 plugged into Sonic And Knuckles plugged into 32x plugged into Genesis plugged into a Sega CD. So be it :)

Speaking of a new Shinobi, I'd prefer it be a 2.5D side scroller like how Capcom did the new Strider. I think a Shinobi game in any other form would be too similar to Ninja Gaiden. With a 2.5D side scroller you wouldn't need to invest in huge assets and you could also sell your game for a lower price reaching more gamers.

Speaking of a new Shinobi, I'd prefer it be a 2.5D side scroller like how Capcom did the new Strider. I think a Shinobi game in any other form would be too similar to Ninja Gaiden. With a 2.5D side scroller you wouldn't need to invest in huge assets and you could also sell your game for a lower price reaching more gamers.

Yeah Konami did the 2.5d thing successfully with Castlevania as did Capcon with Bionic Commando, so Sega could do it with Shinobi.

Yakuza Ishin for japaneese PS4-launch is the only stuff I know about for next-gen consoles. Also coming to PS3 and Vita.

Speaking of Shenmue I'm finally gonna play Shenmue II..just purchased a used copy on Ebay. Can't believe I've waited this long to actually play it.:oops:

I own and have played Shenmue I on Dreamcast but never Shenmue II since SEGA only released the English dubbed version on Xbox. I'm going to play it on my X360.:D

Speaking of Shenmue I'm finally gonna play Shenmue II..just purchased a used copy on Ebay. Can't believe I've waited this long to actually play it.:oops:

I own and have played Shenmue I on Dreamcast but never Shenmue II since SEGA only released the English dubbed version on Xbox. I'm going to play it on my X360.:D

Microsoft bought the rights and had their own in-house team port the game to xbox. Buying the rights also this caused Sega to not be allowed to release the sequel on the then fourth placed Downcast.

That did not stop Gamers...erm EBX back then from selling the European or UK version with Japanese dialogue English subtitles.

Shenmue was harshly at times mocked in reviews as well as unfairly compared to other games like the then upcoming GTA3...read the eulogy... There is also the back then emerging practice of lending or returning and bragging the posting spoilers online...a bunch of factors including US gamers making mention of lack of violence... Honestly imho when people who did not buy the game at launch and picked it up later while realizing the lack of sequels...all of a sudden became Shenmue and Sega fans.

Getting away from Shenmue is how Yakuza series (which does address the lack of violence), if people were actually buying that game for Sega to invest (imho the zombie variation was to test and cash in...) basically you need to buy and play the Yakuza series...specially if you are a Sega fan.

Besides that and Sonic...the other Sega games that made them hardcore fans were mostly either Arcade hardware games or arcade reprogrammed versions on Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and later PS2 and later...

Problem is people were either not following Sega specially when they made Valkyria Chronicles on PS3...not to mention idiocy in game reviews and too much free hype for already ridiculously popular games like CoD as nd Halo series taking mindshare.

Also that Sega really shined more when making first party, hardcore programmed games...they really could have shined last gen if they had made more focused PS3 games that (like in ancient times of mastering Saturn) they could have boasted on CellBE SPUs but then there is rising dev costs, lack of faith in flakey gamers...I could write an essay here because unfortunately despite this last gen having lasted so much longer and Sega did actually make some true gems it seems like it was not enough or consumers changed.

Microsoft bought the rights and had their own in-house team port the game to xbox. Buying the rights also this caused Sega to not be allowed to release the sequel on the then fourth placed Downcast.

Do you have any source for this? I remember Yu Suzuki talking about writing the shaders for the filters you can add to Xbox Shenmue 2.

As a Sega guy at heart, I could never really buy into their games on Sony platforms.

Sega was awesome on the PS2. Yakuza, VF4, Sega Superstars (which I sadly never got to play properly...), Sega Rally 1995 and all the other remakes.

Sega was awesome on the PS2. Yakuza, VF4, Sega Superstars (which I sadly never got to play properly...), Sega Rally 1995 and all the other remakes.

Some of the remakes unfortunately werent all that great. The VF2 remake for example if I recall even had framedrops

As a Sega guy at heart, I could never really buy into their games on Sony platforms.

What makes a Sega game on s Sony platform a heartattack for a Sega guy?

Sounds very counterintuitive for a Sega fan to think this way, thank Ancient Gods I moved away from that line of thinking and realized the reality.

Despite any marketing finger pointing the demise of Sega consoles was not really caused by competition, even including Sony.

At the time of early 2000s it made fiscal sense to go with the higher installed user base.

SEGA's biggest strength as a then holder of talented dev teams was mainly due to those games being developed under Sega corporate culture and single platform...all that "mastering the SH2s, etc" specially considering how Shenmue/Project B started as a Saturn hardware project.

VF4Evolution on PS2 was a shining example of that plus many games that got stuck in Japan due to SEGA's decision making and once again spreading out too thin.

A lot of money and development time could have been saved...then again Outrun 2 and C2C 2006 were largely ignored.

Do you have any source for this? I remember Yu Suzuki talking about writing the shaders for the filters you can add to Xbox Shenmue 2.

Old information but a better question would be why it was NOT published or localized for the US Dreamcast market? Or is it yet another excuse to sweep under the rug?

Also Yu Suzuki is a design, producer, director...since when did he become Lead (and apparently only) Programmer on Shenmue?

That was their first model 2 port I believe. The textures where pretty crap as well.

That VF2 on PS2 was not really a "port" (often abused word on forums) it was not even directly re-programmed by Sega-AM2 or any of their elite dev teams or even really using the original source assets and textures.

I happen to own a few of those classics...some improved later on greatly and even hosting new features and textures depending on the games.

However this notion of not supporting Sega games back then on Sony hardware is ridiculous...I happened to actually buy those games when they hit retailers and even rented a DC in early 1999 and knew the difference between the different Segas.

Not buying Yakuza series tells me there is no reason to remake Shenmue in the U.S. market like I said.
just like how most Sega games of original content didn't do so well last gen.

They also have to have the original people or producers director to remake anything or take a risk selling it.

VF5FS is stuck as a DLG, why? Word is that there are two PS3 Yakuza/RyuGoGotoku games that do not seem to be getting localized...

More alarming is that the closest thing to Shenmue, albeit much different, did not sell so great with LA Noire...why?

Many elements of Shenmue are in that game...

Anyways I look forward to E3 and trade shows but even now for a company like Sega to make anything, they have to have actual buyers, not vocal fans who bought bargain or used copies and then became fans, but ignore the newer stuff because they still don't understand Sega.

You want a smackdown with tuna about old Sega knowledge? Bring it on!

Old information but a better question would be why it was NOT published or localized for the US Dreamcast market? Or is it yet another excuse to sweep under the rug?

Because MS paid for US exclusivity.

Also Yu Suzuki is a design, producer, director...since when did he become Lead (and apparently only) Programmer on Shenmue?

I recall that Yu Suzuki made the claim that he wrote the shaders for the filters you can apply to the XBox version of Shenmue 2. That was most probably all that he programmed on that game.

That VF2 on PS2 was not really a "port" (often abused word on forums) it was not even directly re-programmed by Sega-AM2 or any of their elite dev teams or even really using the original source assets and textures.

I happen to own a few of those classics...some improved later on greatly and even hosting new features and textures depending on the games.

My september 2004 issue of Dorimaga states that the PS2 conversion of VF2 was supervised by AM2. But I agree that the textures are off in that game. Later Model2 PS2 conversions like Sega Rally 95 was better.

VF5FS is stuck as a DLG, why? Word is that there are two PS3 Yakuza/RyuGoGotoku games that do not seem to be getting localized...

There have been 3 PS3 Yakuza (counting Isshin) games without translation and 2 PSP games.

Sony had a ccultrural dominance in Japan that Sega NEVER attained. That marquis platforms of their generations were NES, SuperNES, PS1, PS2, Wii The xbox360 was the first non Japanese console to achieve any kind of dominance since the days of Atari.

All that said, I preferred Segas catalogue to anything on the Sony platforms but because of cultural dominance and technical prowess, Sony came in dominated the console market in way that made Sega's status untenable. That and Sega's link to the dwindling arcade market squeezed their ability to prosper where Sony was a multibillion dollar corporation regardless of their gaming division.

You could see the effects in cultural dominace in some dveeloper decisions. In PS1 versus Saturn days, the PS1 was hailed as powerful and simple, while the saturn was more complex and with its dual SH2 setup. Developers flocked to PS1.

PS2 relative to the Dreamcast was a convoluted mess but considered more powerful. Devs stayed with the system that was a convoluted mess because if you stuck with it (which devs didnt do with Saturn) you could extract considerable power from it. And so on.

When Sega started transferring some of their catalogue to Xbox I followed suit. I went PS3 mostly last generation because it had a bluray player and had built in wifi whereas the 360 had neither originally and charged a fricking Hundred bucks for a dongle... VF5 on the PS3 was nice and the closest I came to feeling ok about a Sega game on a Sony console.

Sony had a ccultrural dominance in Japan that Sega NEVER attained. That marquis platforms of their generations were NES, SuperNES, PS1, PS2, Wii The xbox360 was the first non Japanese console to achieve any kind of dominance since the days of Atari.

All that said, I preferred Segas catalogue to anything on the Sony platforms but because of cultural dominance and technical prowess, Sony came in dominated the console market in way that made Sega's status untenable. That and Sega's link to the dwindling arcade market squeezed their ability to prosper where Sony was a multibillion dollar corporation regardless of their gaming division.

You could see the effects in cultural dominace in some dveeloper decisions. In PS1 versus Saturn days, the PS1 was hailed as powerful and simple, while the saturn was more complex and with its dual SH2 setup. Developers flocked to PS1.

PS2 relative to the Dreamcast was a convoluted mess but considered more powerful. Devs stayed with the system that was a convoluted mess because if you stuck with it (which devs didnt do with Saturn) you could extract considerable power from it. And so on.

When Sega started transferring some of their catalogue to Xbox I followed suit. I went PS3 mostly last generation because it had a bluray player and had built in wifi whereas the 360 had neither originally and charged a fricking Hundred bucks for a dongle... VF5 on the PS3 was nice and the closest I came to feeling ok about a Sega game on a Sony console.

Basically you are pissed at Sony for Sega's death. Sega was making very bad decisions in general. They were stuck with the Japanese mindset and did not listen to either SEGA of America or SEGA of Europe. What Kutaragi was with the PS3, Sega's president was with the Saturn back then. Sega died because of him. Because of Saturns legacy and piracy the DC died. Sony did all the right decisions with the PS1. Under your logic MS should also be a no no as they are a multibillion company and the XBOne exist only because they could absorb billion of losses with the original XBox. Losses that Sega could never take

You want a smackdown with tuna about old Sega knowledge? Bring it on!

Because MS paid for US exclusivity.

Isn't that what I just stated?... part of the deal back then was Microsoft's team as it was said back then was that because of "easy" game development the game could be "ported" and "enhanced" which really was just a port and not really a true Xbox 1 game in the natural sense of the word.

I recall that Yu Suzuki made the claim that he wrote the shaders for the filters you can apply to the XBox version of Shenmue 2. That was most probably all that he programmed on that game.

I would love to see the evidence to this, if he really "wrote the shaders single handed" like you say then he must be a super saiyan-jin.

My september 2004 issue of Dorimaga states that the PS2 conversion of VF2 was supervised by AM2. But I agree that the textures are off in that game. Later Model2 PS2 conversions like Sega Rally 95 was better.

Most games even that VF3TB "port" and Fighting Vipers 2 "port" were "supervised", does not equal SEGA-AM2 did all the work like they did in the Saturn days.

There have been 3 PS3 Yakuza (counting Isshin) games without translation and 2 PSP games.

Ryu Go Gotoku Kenzan! the first PS3 one...

Ryu Go Gotoku 3

Ryu Go Gotoku 4

Ryu Go Gotoku the living dead zombie edition...am I counting wrong?

Then that other one that eventually became a PS4 release, note I am not opening windows to look up information so I am working from flawed human memory here ;)

I read your post and want to answer it...but you claim Sony had Japanese domination...yet you seemed to be clueless that the Saturn was dominating in Japan and Sega eventually blew it.

Back