Any specific plans for new PSP?

xmu said:
Well erm the DS Lite is the DS with two differences: brighter screen and new smaller case. I don't think neither of these really apply to the PSP.

The DS Lite also has a longer battery life then the original and is quite a bit liter as well (the DS Lite screens are quite significantly brighter then PSP's screen as well I think).

Teasy said:
The DS Lite also has a longer battery life then the original and is quite a bit liter as well (the DS Lite screens are quite significantly brighter then PSP's screen as well I think).

Oh I didn't know the battery life has been extended. And by the new casing I also meant it's a bit lighter too. But I can assure you the screens are nowhere near as bright as the PSP. We just got a couple of DS Lites at the office yesterday and albeit the displays are nice, they're still ways off from the PSP in my opinion.

And actually even though they're bright, I still found myself having to tilt the entire unit from time to time to see the other screen. But it's probably just me :)

A bit off-topic (as is the DS ;) ), but as the case of PSP plastic casing came up here, I ask what do you think, from the pictures, is the PS3 upper casing metal or plastic?

To me it looks like sheet metal that's used in the cover of better Hi-Fi gear, only high gloss.
If you can find closeups of PS3 case, look at the ventilation holes, they don't look like they're cut into a plastic.

And now back to topic.
There certainly won't be anything about a new PSP, or even a redesigned PSPee, before PS3 launch, or shortly after.
Maybe for Xmas '07 there could be the PSPee (now wouldn't it be golden to own a Wii and a PSPee).
Isn't there already a stronger 2200Ah battery for PSP, an official Sony one.

I remember seeing it advertised some moons ago in Lik Sang, is the same battery included standard in the newer PSP's?
The battery I have in my year old PSP is a 1800Ah.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:
A bit off-topic (as is the DS ;) ), but as the case of PSP plastic casing came up here, I ask what do you think, from the pictures, is the PS3 upper casing metal or plastic?

I don't know but they're going to have to use metal for isolation purposes I think anyway, and the thing weights 5+kg apparently.

I remember seeing it advertised some moons ago in Lik Sang, is the same battery included standard in the newer PSP's?
The battery I have in my year old PSP is a 1800Ah.

I got my white one a few weeks ago with the 3.6v 1800mAh battery. However, it seems to last longer than what my original battery on the black PSP lasted when I first got that one - and I've seen on some forums that the internals of the PSP have been redesigned a bit. Don't know if that applies to my white PSP, but it may well ...

Yesterday I noticed that Lumines seems to do a few slightly different things on some graphics levels on the new PSP. I found this very strange - it is probably either a firmware thing or I misremembered, will check and report.

@Squeak: we can continue this discussion when you start to make sense again, ok? ;)

xmu said:
But I can assure you the screens are nowhere near as bright as the PSP. We just got a couple of DS Lites at the office yesterday and albeit the displays are nice, they're still ways off from the PSP in my opinion.

And actually even though they're bright, I still found myself having to tilt the entire unit from time to time to see the other screen. But it's probably just me :)

I can assure you that you didn't have your DS Lite on maximum brightness..

art_4676_id_20.jpeg

Mario Bros on the DS Lite Vs a Jpeg of Mario Bros on the PSP, both at full brightness

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=4676
http://palgn.com.au/media.php?id=4676&sid=75569fd86a3aab8b93a2254e81755eb1

Teasy said:

Umm ok that could be :) But I don't have my PSP with me at work right now, but my old 1.51 PSP sure looks helluva lot brighter than that. But I dunno, you might be right.

Teasy said:

Mario Bros on the DS Lite Vs a Jpeg of Mario Bros on the PSP, both at full brightness
The DS Lite may well have a brighter screen, but there's something wrong with that pic and it can't be representative. Based on photography, the DS screen there is something of the order of at least 2^3, 2^4 times brighter than the PSP. That's perhaps 8x brighter than PSP's 200 nits, maybe even 32x. I haven't seen DS Lite's screen, but I have used PSP's and on the brightest setting without external power, if that's a low-light photo, it looks a lot better than that. To me that photo looks like PSP's lowest brightness, and the two handheld's should be comparable on brightness on the whole unless the DS has a totally super-powered display.

For comparison, here's a pic of PSP in (what appears to be) brighter light conditions, where relative screen brightness would be a lot lower

0323_psp_screen.jpg

Of course Nintendo don't provide proper tech specs to consider this comparison accurately!

I think a lot of people on this board should be well versed in graphics to notice that at least the DS Lite picture above has been messed with (unless part of the brightness level is software driven). In the PSP picture, you see the detail on the clouds properly, but in the DS Lite picture the white's bleeding out the detail, as you get when you put too much contrast and brightness on a picture you're editing in photoshop.

The guy who took the picture says he has it on the third level of brightness on the PSP, and he put a jpg in there that he cropped from this source: http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/706/706294/new-super-mario-bros-20060509020136183.jpg

From what I've read, it's possible that the DS Lite picture may be a slight bit better than the PSPs brightness, but I don't believe it is anything like this - the picture quality on the PSP is far better thann what's on this picture anyway, and the DS Lite looks totally overexposed.

Maybe someone will do a fairer comparison some time (or i can when it's released here in Europe in about a week's time). Anyway, it does show you how bad the original DS screen was in comparison, and it's definitely a great improvement, so a good thing for all who buy one, and I suppose a bit painful for those who already had a regular DS. ;)

Maybe the picture isn't 100% representative of PSP vs DS Lite in good lighting conditions.. but its definitely brighter so who cares :) That was just the first example I could find of a site comparing PSP and DS Lite brightness. There were quite a few comparisons out there when Lite was released but I can't find them now.

There is a quick comparison here as well, not the best, but its a funny video so I'll post it anyway :)

http://www.cabel.name/2006/04/nintendo-ds-lite-third-look.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Arwin said:
In the PSP picture, you see the detail on the clouds properly, but in the DS Lite picture the white's bleeding out the detail, as you get when you put too much contrast and brightness on a picture you're editing in photoshop.
...and the DS Lite looks totally overexposed.
I think that answers it exactly, but it' a wierd photographic situation. From that perspective it looks like a low-light situation with the exposure set just a little above the PSP's brightness and the DS being some 2^5 times brighter thus overexposing. That just doesn't add up.

As I say, I expect both are fairly similar on the whole. Both look good and are usable in daylight situations, so there's no problems here! And a huge leap up from GB days, that I could never get my head around. I don't think there's really any call for much brighter screens. Maybe on a sunny day on a ski slope with your snow goggles on and you want a screen bright enough to look good through them...

Back