Any specific plans for new PSP?

wco81

Legend
First, we know they scaled back the clock speed to get more battery life. That part was assumed to be changed with a firmware update at some point. There have been many firmware updates but they haven't bumped the clock speed back up have they?

Second, there were assumptions that they'd move the chipset to smaller processes and realize better power compsumption. Are there any specific plans to do that or is Sony satisfied with the current costs?

Or maybe too preoccupied with the PS3?

With the DS Lite, you would think they'd try to respond with some kind of improvements. If nothing else, just repackage so that it looks fresh.

wco81 said:
First, we know they scaled back the clock speed to get more battery life. That part was assumed to be changed with a firmware update at some point. There have been many firmware updates but they haven't bumped the clock speed back up have they?

No I don't think so. My guess is that they'll wait until they roll out some new battery that lasts xx% longer.

wco81 said:
With the DS Lite, you would think they'd try to respond with some kind of improvements. If nothing else, just repackage so that it looks fresh.

Well erm the DS Lite is the DS with two differences: brighter screen and new smaller case. I don't think neither of these really apply to the PSP. The screen is more than bright enough and the case couldn't be significantly smaller I think. Perhaps a bit thinner and lighter, but that's about it. Otherwise you'd have to reduce screen size and that's not what anyone wants, right? :)

The PSP should be available in more colors though. The different colors for the DS seem to be an important factor amongst the DS users I know.

I don't think we'll be hearing anything until next year at earliest as far as PSP "redesign" goes (and I doubt it'll be much of a redesign, it's already about as small as it can get given the screen size -- but battery life improvement / die shrink and maybe improved dpad version or something like that).

They'll definitely be shrinking the die sometime for the PSP, but I'm sure the PS3 launch and production is taking priority at the moment.

I sure hope not. I still think its too soon. Please dont pull a nintendo Sony and release a revamp every 6 months. If there is indeed a new psp coming , say 2007/2008, please let it have backwards compatibility with the orginal psp.

Actually I just got my second PSP, one of the new white ones with the Daxter pack (wanted to keep my 1.5FW for homebrew and programming).

And I noticed there are some improvements on that already. The battery definitely lasts longer. I'll look up some benchmark tests from the beginning of the PSP and run them on this new one. The d-pad also seems to have been lifted up a bit higher making it a lot more pleasant to use. The slight problems with the square button is also gone, but we knew that already. And the (Samsung) screen is indeed, as I already suspected from others, not quite as good as the Sharp one on my original PSP - there's a bit more ghosting on the new one visible when things are moving really fast. But other than that, the screen looks great and no dead pixels (again). :) Really happy with Loco Roco (both demoes, the downloadable much better though - my girl already preordered it for my birthday, which happens to be the release date) and Daxter is great fun too. May get the 20 euro Burnout next (haven't seen Final Fantasy yet either).

Anyway, I don't expect too many other improvements. The DS really needed a makeover, but the PSP looked sharp from day one, if you ask me (I know, you didn't).

First we'll see the new peripherals. That GPS add-on should be really great, and who knows what the eyetoy for PSP will do. And of course the PS-One emulation, though I don't care too much about that - there are only a few games that I really liked on the PS1 (Micro Machines V3, which may still be better thoug than the native one coming up), the old Tomb Raider (but there's Legends now too), Tekken (but the real PSP Tekken is apparently great and likely to beat Tekken 2 and 3, though I would like to see the first person view back, that ruled in Tekken 2!), GT2 (but it's hard to go back, I'd rather not), Pandemonium (but nobody remembers that game), and who knows, FFVII (but I admit I just played from CGI to CGI really). Time Crisis also isn't going to be interesting on a PSP, but I would like to see the Pro Pinball series (Big Race U.S.A., don't know if the others were released for PS1, probably not).

Anyway, I digress. Point is, I doubt we'll see a different version. Just minor tweaks and improvements, as mentioned above, small increases in power efficiency. However, I'll be interested if Sandisk/Samsung manage that 32Gb memory stick.

I would like to see a tilt control add-on for PSP though.

arwin, i want you to know you just talked me out of picking up another PSP. i sold my first one after a 6 month quest to find a game i liked (i couldn't find one worth buying, IMO), but recently i've been looking at the current/upcoming titles and thinking of trying again. but... screen ghosting was a big issue for me. so if newer PSP's are worse than the first batch (i had a 1.5) then i'm not buying one.

and i remember pandemonium. i own 2 copies for it even, neither for the PSX (saturn and ngage).

see colon said:
arwin, i want you to know you just talked me out of picking up another PSP. i sold my first one after a 6 month quest to find a game i liked (i couldn't find one worth buying, IMO), but recently i've been looking at the current/upcoming titles and thinking of trying again. but... screen ghosting was a big issue for me. so if newer PSP's are worse than the first batch (i had a 1.5) then i'm not buying one.

and i remember pandemonium. i own 2 copies for it even, neither for the PSX (saturn and ngage).

Ehm. My first PSP was one of the very, very first PSPs, from Japan - a lik-sang early pre-order. It came with FW 1.0. It has NO ghosting whatsoever, actually. So it's probably not worse than what you've seen. You have one of the first generation Samsungs and I'm certain it hasn't got any worse. A guy I know has one just like yours, maybe I'll get round to comparing sometime.

Maybe if DS Lite boosts Nintendo's sales even in the US, Sony will feel compelled to repackage, take a pricing action, whatever.

Arwin said:
Ehm. My first PSP was one of the very, very first PSPs, from Japan - a lik-sang early pre-order. It came with FW 1.0. It has NO ghosting whatsoever, actually. So it's probably not worse than what you've seen. You have one of the first generation Samsungs and I'm certain it hasn't got any worse. A guy I know has one just like yours, maybe I'll get round to comparing sometime.
i'd take your word for it, but everyone i know that bought a PSP had similar ghosting on the screen. beyond that, last giftmas i part timed at EBgames, and durring the holiday shopping season it was my job to stand out on the floor and demo the PSP, talk it up to customers, and let them play it. every day i would grab a random PSP out of the used bin and go, and every PSP had ghosting.

if there are non-ghosting PSPs in the US, i haven't seen any.

see colon said:
i'd take your word for it, but everyone i know that bought a PSP had similar ghosting on the screen. beyond that, last giftmas i part timed at EBgames, and durring the holiday shopping season it was my job to stand out on the floor and demo the PSP, talk it up to customers, and let them play it. every day i would grab a random PSP out of the used bin and go, and every PSP had ghosting.

Have you bought Syphon filter yet? It's a great game.

see colon said:

Got this from the Lik-Sang forums.

Dear Mr. McSweeney,

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

I am able to confirm that the PlayStation Portable System now uses a LCD screen manufactured by Samsung LTD. As you mentioned in your E-mail, the first edition of the PlayStation Portable used LCD screens manufactured by Sharp LTD. As Of September 1st, (The release of the Europe PlayStation Portable) the LCD screens will be, once again be manufactured by Samsung LTD.

Should you have any further queries, please call our Careline on 08705 99 88 77 (National Rate), quoting your reference number: 1-58RVY, and an advisor will be happy to assist you. Our operating hours are 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday, 10am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Wardle
PlayStation Consumer Care Team
Sony Computer Entertainment UK
Careline: 08705 99 88 77 (National Rate)
E.Mail: Help@uk.playstation.com
Web: http://www.playstation.co.uk/

Also, Samsung and Sharp had been selected as official suppliers and announced as such before the PSP launch.

I will do some more comparisons and see if I can make any kind of proof. Most people told me my Japanese launch PSP has less ghosting (very visible in Ridge Racers) but I haven't actually compared this hands-on myself. Just noticed that there was more ghosting than I was used to in Loco Roco. I will also try Lumines for comparison.

Both screens rock, by the way.

wco81 said:
Maybe if DS Lite boosts Nintendo's sales even in the US, Sony will feel compelled to repackage, take a pricing action, whatever.
Considering Sony bumped the darn thing UP in price when the white model was released here where I live, getting their balls singed by the DS blowtorch would only be a positive thing.

It's probably not particulary likely that the DS Lite will be as wildly popular as it is in japan, but I'm sure it will sell BETTER at least. And every bit of marketshare lost will hopefully be quickly felt by Sony, and reacted to in a for the consumer favorable manner! :p

To be honest I never really liked how the PSP looked. Too much hollow macho "bling bling" "shiny shine" attitude about it, with the visible metal frame and dimples all over.
So a smaller, cheaper redesign might convince me to buy (and some more games actually worth playing on the go, like Loco Rocco and Lumines).
I have a hard time seeing how they could achieve a smaller form factor though, with the UMD drive and and large screen. It seems they painted themselves into a corner, seems like they didn't really consider that the machine would actually be used on the go.

I would buy a new PSP if it came with a analog stick instead of the horrible nub. Getting rid of the ghosting on the screen would also be nice.

Squeak said:
To be honest I never really liked how the PSP looked. Too much hollow macho "bling bling" "shiny shine" attitude about it, with the visible metal frame and dimples all over.

I kinda like how the DS Lite tries to look more like it though, eh?

So a smaller, cheaper redesign might convince me to buy (and some more games actually worth playing on the go, like Loco Rocco and Lumines).

Lots of games are worth playing on the go. It is just a matter of personal taste what kind of games you like to play, eh? I personally loved Ridge Racers, got a tonne of playtime out of that one and finished it down to the last World Tour and unlockable car. That game was nearly flawless. Loco Roco is awesome, I agree. Of course I also have Lumines. But Daxter is great too, so is Wipeout (although in the end I think I preferred Ridge Racer), Burnout Legends' Crash mode is also pretty suitable to portable play and Mercury isn't bad either.

Tekken though, is my personal portable wet-dream. A long time fantasy - finally I'll be able to master and memorise all those moves, and gamesharing to allow two PSP owners to match up is a big plus.

I have a hard time seeing how they could achieve a smaller form factor though, with the UMD drive and and large screen. It seems they painted themselves into a corner, seems like they didn't really consider that the machine would actually be used on the go.

Painted themselves into a corner? Didn't really consider that the machine would actually be used on the go? You don't even have one. What are you on about? I use this thing on the go all the time. I kinda doubt that I'm the only one. Even those who complain that there aren't enough games they like watch their favorite shows on the thing during the bus-ride to school or work or whatever.

The white PSP doesn't need a redesign! And an analog stick wouldn't work - it would have to stick out too much. You'd have to have something foldable or whatever. In that small size, it wouldn't be better than the nub. If anything I'd probably work on improving the nub by having it slide better - if it would slide a little more smooth out of the box, it'd be close to perfect. But having said that, I really got used to it through playing Ridge Racer with it, and actually it already works quite well. Just takes a little while, that's all. On my black PSP I actually removed the round circle thing so that you have a miniature stick, and that is actually a bit more comfortable to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squeak said:
Too much hollow macho "bling bling" "shiny shine" attitude about it, with the visible metal frame
In case it's any comfort to you, the visible 'metal' frame is actually spraypainted plastic...! :LOL:

Slightly disappointing actually I think, because the wriststrap loop has more than a slight tendency to have the paint wear off/become scuffed very easily. Besides, it would make the console a bit more durable in case it was ever dropped, so...best not drop it!

Guden Oden said:
In case it's any comfort to you, the visible 'metal' frame is actually spraypainted plastic...! :LOL:
:oops: Holy mother of...! That just puts the PSP design in a whole other league of tackiness and cheapness! I can tolerate alufinished plastic to some extent if it is done honestly and openly so it's clear that it's coloured plastic, but the frame on PSP looks so much like metal (and should be made of metal to perform what it looks like it's supposed to do) that it's just pure deception.

Arwin said:
I kinda like how the DS Lite tries to look more like it though, eh?
Whaa?? If anything the DSL "tries" to look like a i/macbook (like PSP tries to look like an ipod console) but I think it has plenty of unique ideas of its own to not make it a ripoff.

Painted themselves into a corner? Didn't really consider that the machine would actually be used on the go? You don't even have one. What are you on about?
Look, you don't have to own a console to know the facts about it and know how it feels like. I don't see why so many people use the "you don't own x" argument.
I use this thing on the go all the time. I kinda doubt that I'm the only one. Even those who complain that there aren't enough games they like watch their favorite shows on the thing during the bus-ride to school or work or whatever.
But where do you keep it? It's too big and heavy to put in your pocket and if you happen have a bag with you, you most likely don't want it to rumble around with the other stuff you have in it.
You have to keep it in a special bag, which has to be opened and closed every time you just want a quick game.
Then you have to wait for the game to load, if there is more juice on the battery that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squeak said:
:oops: Holy mother of...! That just puts the PSP design in a whole other league of tackiness and cheapness! I can tolerate alufinished plastic to some extent if it is done honestly and openly so it's clear that it's coloured plastic, but the frame on PSP looks so much like metal (and should be made of metal to perform what it looks like it's supposed to do) that it's just pure deception.

You're really an 'anti-fan' aren't you? Have you ever held the PSP? I wouldn't want anything added that actually makes it heavier. I don't also think it would have made it much more resilient to falling. Not only are plastics as strong as anything these days, but it's located such that when the PSP falls, that wouldn't typically be the first that hits the ground. (By the way, I never used the wrist-strap)

I find it ironic that you tolerate fake as long as it looks fake. Are you saying that basically they did too good a job? I've never damaged this, but the cover of this laptop I have of which the top is done the exact same ... gah.

The white PSP is lovely. Everyone so far just really likes it - just now a colleague of mine told me he's going to get one himself come next paycheck (next week). Looking forward to link up with him. :)

Squeak said:

You're really an 'anti-fan' aren't you? Have you ever held the PSP? I wouldn't want anything added that actually makes it heavier. I don't also think it would have made it much more resilient to falling. Not only are plastics as strong as anything these days, but it's located such that when the PSP falls, that wouldn't typically be the first that hits the ground. (By the way, I never used the wrist-strap)

I find it ironic that you tolerate fake as long as it looks fake. Are you saying that basically they did too good a job? I've never damaged this, but the cover of this laptop I have of which the top is done the exact same ... gah.

The white PSP is lovely. Everyone so far just really likes it - just now a colleague of mine told me he's going to get one himself come next paycheck (next week). Looking forward to link up with him.

Arwin said:
You're really an 'anti-fan' aren't you?
No, I just can't get exited about the machine at all. It has some pretty good internal hardware (but somehow the performance feels underwhelming anyway) and that's about it. Everything else about it is poorly conceived.
Have you ever held the PSP? I wouldn't want anything added that actually makes it heavier. I don't also think it would have made it much more resilient to falling. Not only are plastics as strong as anything these days, but it's located such that when the PSP falls, that wouldn't typically be the first that hits the ground. (By the way, I never used the wrist-strap)
You are probably correct that it wouldn't do much for the actual strength of the device if the frame was metal, but it has great psychological effect and it makes the unit seem more expensive if metal is used.
The second an expensive signal like that is exposed as fraudulent (by a scratch from the keychain or touch), it brings the whole design below the level it would have been on, had they used good honest plastic.

There is a big difference between deceiving and using something for effect, making it clear that it isn't the real thing. One example of this could be marbling of wood and laminate where it is clear that the pattern is not real, like on the classic Memphis furniture.

Back