any new info on xenosaga III?

Mefisutoferesu said:
Cough*Soul Calibur*Cough

I'd actually say Soul Calibur III will probably bring more to the genre than any other fighter in a good while. There's a lot of different modes that bring something new to the Fighting game genre. VF is GOOD, but it's pretty much the same old same old... though VF4 did introduce some new concepts, but SCIII adds so much.

Nice list though... too bad it's maybe 1/10 of what's out there! ^^ So much to do so little time.

Very true about Sould Calibur (Can't believe I forgot that to). But as far as mechanics being implimented in a fighter, I think Virtua Figter strives to be the most deep fighter. Soul Calibur III is supposed to impliment alot of other things though.

1/10th for sure! Those are most of the games I could list off the top of my head. Some others would be Disgaea and Disgaea 2, La Pucele and another Nipon Ichi game where I forgot the name (Phantom Brave?).

The problem I had with the music in XS2 was not so much the compositions themselves (which were fair) but rather with the music direction. In XG, for instance, the BGMs were almost perfectly aligned with the place and time of the story at that given point. Fei's hometown evokes a bucolic cheerfulness and so does its score; the Wels' ghost ship is designed to be creepy, as is its music; Dazil is middle-eastern thus it receives a Klezmerish tune, etc. In XS2 nothing is that well matched, and the music adds little to the ambience of the game whereas it largely created the general atmosphere of XG.

So true. Its as if they asked for certain music with verying moods to be created for XS1/2 and simply chose amongst them. In all fairness though exactly what musical would fit a futuristic, mainly space oriented universe? Techno or Trance? The day they higher Moby or Paul Oakenfold is the day i'm out.

With XG they had the benefit of ethnic mimicry for much of bgm themes and moods of the game. However, once places without any real decernable ethnic theme came into question Mitsuda seemingly BS'ed something based purely on mood (ie Solaris). XS1/2 present exactly the same problem; what musical themes fit the future? XG1/2 appear to take a "Space Opera" route.

Again, XG was far more polished of a game. As a product of such attention we have interesting plot elements containing fairly well thought out actions and motives of the protagonists and antagonists. For example I especially loved the explanation of Solaris' attempts to control the earth dwellers (lambs) by esentially culture baiting the populus of Aveh in order to win them as allies. The only thing from the XS series I remember striking me as rather interesting as plot element was that the "scar" of Virgil's face isn't a scar at all, its the keratinization of his skin as a direct result of consuming the flesh of Realians. Virgil, after death by chaingun (apparently KOS-MOS lacks a developed recognition of ROE) becomes Blue Testament, a figure representing disease and famine. Cannibalism is often a direct result of starvation which can be seen reflected in his chemical and mental addictions to the consumption of realian flesh. Hmm, all of this and no Surgeon General's warning stamped on the back of every Realian. Go figure.

When I stop and think about it the issue of cannibalism irritates me. To think I spent so much time in XG1 gambling when I could have simply killed all the observation realians and sold them on the blackmarket. I can think of far better ways of earning cash then running good Samaritan quests: Momo brownies anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
What of the speculations concerning T-elos? Some of the forums I've read are in favor of the belief she's the KOS-MOS prototype. In my opinion though this is likely not correct or simply not completely correct. If we consider the meaning behind her name we may likely consider she's simply an improved model, a superior to KOS-MOS.

I'd like to have a translation of what she said to KOS-MOS at the ending of the trailer.

I amend my original statement - J-RPG is the only major genre that's in obvious decline. Some of this is structural (J-RPGs require more art assets than almost any other type of game), and some is cultural (people are more attracted to cultural content that's relevant to them).

As far as JRPGs are concerned I'm left asking the question "where are all the people of color?" I mean WTF. I just got through playing Shadow Hearts: FTNW and its apparent the Japanese developers are under the impression everyone on Earth lives in one big white world. Hell even FTNW and FFVII beat Xenosaga. In Xenosaga Helmer is apparently the only black person in the entire universe.

Well, if it's anything... "Telos" is Greek for "end". KOS=MOS is the Begining and she's the End. The Alph and the Omega. Ellie and Miang. Something like that probably.

EDIT:: WIth Japanese art Asian=White and since the VAST majority of Japan is Asian and you want your characters to appeal to the culture you make them representative of that culture, so you draw them Asian=white... so almost everyone looks white... or something like that.

BlueTsunami, while you're right that this generation had its fair share of RPGs, I still have to agree that the genre has been in decline. There have been plenty of decent RPGs this generation, but I think it's fair to say that this generation hasn't had the equivalent of a Chrono Trigger, Xenoears, Final Fantasy 6/7/Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, or even a Star Ocean 2. Almost every RPG this generation has let me down. I will start playing and then eventually get frustrated at all the cheap/stupid/overused game elements there are. I have thought about it a lot, and there are several reasons why I think RPGs have been in decline:

1. The shift to fully 3D environments for the most part has been a very bad move. It has encouraged developers to get lazy. With pre-rendered backgrounds, every scene was a piece of art. Artists also had the advantage that they could display a scene from the exact angle they chose. Now, with fully-3D environments, it has become much too tempting for designers to simply make every dungeon a bunch of identically-textured rectangular tunnels and hallways strewn together for no apparent reason (see Star Ocean 3, Shadow Hearts 2, Radiata Stories, Romancing Saga the added dungeons in FF X-2, some parts of Xenosaga 1&2, and many others).

Ironically, it was Xenogears, a PSX title, that showed that full 3d environments could capture the same essence that pre-rendered and hand-drawn backgrounds could. Even though the graphics are far outdated today, the attention to detail put into every environment is still astounding to me. They made sure that every place felt real and alive (as pointed out earlier, with the assistance of some amazing music that fit the mood perfectly), and largely resisted the temptation to make everything a bunch of generic tunnels and caves.

2. It seems like every RPG today just NEEDS to use voice acting, no matter how terrible it is. First of all, most RPG dialogue is silly, and is nothing like the way real people talk. Hearing RPG dialogue spoken aloud makes it sound 1000 times sillier than imagining the characters speaking in your head. No voice actor, no matter how talented, can make bad RPG dialogue sound convincing. On top of that, it seems like most spoken dialogue sequences are filled with awkward pauses between charcters' lines, making it sound even less like a real conversation.

I think that voice acting has the potential to enhance an experience (like in the Xenosaga games), but bad voice acting is much much worse than none at all.

3. RPGs keep using the same cliches over and over. Some bad guy gets his hands on the ancient ultimate power and threatens to destroy the world if you can't stop him first. There you go, that's the plot to almost every RPG in the last 15 years. It gets old after a while.

The cliched characters are even worse:
-Spiky haired youth with a sword who always does what's Right and never gives up no matter what. He somehow can kill hordes of professionally trained soldiers, monsters 10 times his size, and sometimes God himself. Thanks to the magic of voice acting, we are treated to his whiny pubescent voice in every cutscene.
-Cute, naive, submissive girl, usually a priestess or something like that. This is the ultimate fantasy of every video game nerd that hasn't had a girlfriend. Of course the hero gets her in the end.
-Grizzled old warrior who never says anything and knows much more than he lets on. He also hangs around a bunch of kids for some reason.
-Antisocial youth who for some reason still goes with you to save the world. He has a dark secret.

Modern RPGs exacerbate this problem by focusing so much on the plot. Bad stories and characters are a nuisance if they don't play too big a part in the game, but they are a huge annoyance if the game is plot-focused (like Star Ocean 3 for example).

Anyway those are just a few things I've noticed. Does anybody else feel this way? Am I just getting old and jaded? It seems like for everybody who says that RPGs are in decline, there's another fawning over the brilliance of Shadow Hearts 2 and Xenosaga. I'm really curious if it's just me.

Ironically, it was Xenogears, a PSX title, that showed that full 3d environments could capture the same essence that pre-rendered and hand-drawn backgrounds could. Even though the graphics are far outdated today, the attention to detail put into every environment is still astounding to me. They made sure that every place felt real and alive (as pointed out earlier, with the assistance of some amazing music that fit the mood perfectly), and largely resisted the temptation to make everything a bunch of generic tunnels and caves.

I'm still wondering what exactly happened between the release of Xenogears and Xenosaga that caused this attention to detail to suddenly drop out of sight as if nonexistent. Each area of Xenosaga has approximately the same amount of ambient light, stale and often "dead" enviroments.

And what of the depictions of mechs, mobs, and characters alike? They are mostly every bit as dull and uninspired as the enviroments in which they exist. The Gnosis, for example, are the primary super-villians of the Xenosaga universe are often as visually intimidating as a quadrapedal cupcake - but they're semi transparent at times! I seriously had trouble relating to the tragedic assault on the Vector ships that was the begining of Xenosaga because of their appearance and relative lethergy. I kept thinking "stop shooting and just walk away, walk away...God-damn-it". Clearly the Gnosis were doing humanity a favor thourgh their contribution to natural selection.

All in all my greatest beef with the Xenosaga beastiary, characters and weaponry lies in their relative assumed or known power. The Gnosis by their description are quite uber - infact to the point of being almost Godlike on certain occassions - and yet all one has to do is use the Hilbert Effect (a ludicrously overpowered technique in and of itself) followed by the deployment of conventional weaponry to kill them. Huh? Its almost the equivalent of killing Superman by throwing Kryptonite paint on him and busting a cap in his ass. The story writers have made the gnosis so ludicrously powerly and so numerous that any successful attempt to kill them would appear equally ridiculous and necessarily so. The best example of this has to be humanity's intergalatic equivalent to the Orkin man's bug spray: the Damerung's subspace sonic wave cannon the Rhine Maiden. If any scene in the game got a "WTF?!" response from me it was when the Deus Ex Machine Damerung appears, plays cosmic repo man and clears the solar system of Gnosis with one massive blast.

Ghostbusters anyone? "Uh, yeah. We can kill a god by crossing the streams, the streams..."

Shark Sandwich said:
BlueTsunami, while you're right that this generation had its fair share of RPGs, I still have to agree that the genre has been in decline. There have been plenty of decent RPGs this generation, but I think it's fair to say that this generation hasn't had the equivalent of a Chrono Trigger, Xenoears, Final Fantasy 6/7/Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, or even a Star Ocean 2. Almost every RPG this generation has let me down. I will start playing and then eventually get frustrated at all the cheap/stupid/overused game elements there are. I have thought about it a lot, and there are several reasons why I think RPGs have been in decline:

1. The shift to fully 3D environments for the most part has been a very bad move. It has encouraged developers to get lazy. With pre-rendered backgrounds, every scene was a piece of art. Artists also had the advantage that they could display a scene from the exact angle they chose. Now, with fully-3D environments, it has become much too tempting for designers to simply make every dungeon a bunch of identically-textured rectangular tunnels and hallways strewn together for no apparent reason (see Star Ocean 3, Shadow Hearts 2, Radiata Stories, Romancing Saga the added dungeons in FF X-2, some parts of Xenosaga 1&2, and many others).

2. It seems like every RPG today just NEEDS to use voice acting, no matter how terrible it is. First of all, most RPG dialogue is silly, and is nothing like the way real people talk. Hearing RPG dialogue spoken aloud makes it sound 1000 times sillier than imagining the characters speaking in your head. No voice actor, no matter how talented, can make bad RPG dialogue sound convincing. On top of that, it seems like most spoken dialogue sequences are filled with awkward pauses between charcters' lines, making it sound even less like a real conversation.

I think that voice acting has the potential to enhance an experience (like in the Xenosaga games), but bad voice acting is much much worse than none at all.

3. RPGs keep using the same cliches over and over. Some bad guy gets his hands on the ancient ultimate power and threatens to destroy the world if you can't stop him first. There you go, that's the plot to almost every RPG in the last 15 years. It gets old after a while.

-Spiky haired youth with a sword who always does what's Right and never gives up no matter what. He somehow can kill hordes of professionally trained soldiers, monsters 10 times his size, and sometimes God himself. Thanks to the magic of voice acting, we are treated to his whiny pubescent voice in every cutscene.
-Cute, naive, submissive girl, usually a priestess or something like that. This is the ultimate fantasy of every video game nerd that hasn't had a girlfriend. Of course the hero gets her in the end.
-Grizzled old warrior who never says anything and knows much more than he lets on. He also hangs around a bunch of kids for some reason.
-Antisocial youth who for some reason still goes with you to save the world. He has a dark secret.

Modern RPGs exacerbate this problem by focusing so much on the plot. Bad stories and characters are a nuisance if they don't play too big a part in the game, but they are a huge annoyance if the game is plot-focused (like Star Ocean 3 for example).

Anyway those are just a few things I've noticed. Does anybody else feel this way? Am I just getting old and jaded? It seems like for everybody who says that RPGs are in decline, there's another fawning over the brilliance of Shadow Hearts 2 and Xenosaga. I'm really curious if it's just me.

I see your post SharkSandwhich and I will answer in due time! :p

I just need sleep. I will edit this post with my rebutle!

To be honest Japanese voice actors are often considerably better at conveying proper inflection. I'm not quite sure what explains this phenomenon but I can pose to you several examples: Xenosaga, Star Ocean III, and Grandia I/II. Proper inflection can go a long way towards mending the mindnumbing nature of poorly spoken dialogue. Take into consideration Dracula's insipid rant at the end of Castlevanian SOTN; "What is man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" All this achieved was cementing my desire to kill him. I imagine though when Malraux spoke those same words they sounded far more inspired.

But for some reason the Japanese never seem to tire of them. You'll find these exact same and many other rehashed plot elements in all of the most popular animes.

This is just poor planning and or poor selection. I agree with you fully wrt to this issue.

You might want to add the worn out "chosen one" plot element to this as well.

Very annoying indeed. I hate the feeling of shlepping around an otherwise emotionally useless and defenseless character who hasn't the wits or the determination about them to take a stand and act meaningfully as though they actually had a purpose in fighting.

You might wish to extend this complaint to incorporate obligatory cute critters as well. I spent half of Xenogears wondering what compelled the developers of Xenogears to include Chu Chu and the other half kicking ass with her as she was apparently the most powerful "gear" in the game.

Mainly for the benefit of alliance. Often characters such as these have minor cameo roles towards the begining of the game but eventually join your party from which point their history is exposed.

Squaresoft rehashed this character theme twice in a row with FFVII and VIII as both Squal and Cloud fit nicely into said stereotype.

Did SOIII have a plot? I must have missed it.

I wouldn't call Shadows Hearts or Xenosaga brilliant in any respect.

Legion said:
I'm still wondering what exactly happened between the release of Xenogears and Xenosaga that caused this attention to detail to suddenly drop out of sight as if nonexistent. Each area of Xenosaga has approximately the same amount of ambient light, stale and often "dead" enviroments.

I agree entirely. Xenosaga consisted mostly of cold, sterile, metal environments with little personality. I certainly hope that's not what our living areas look like in the future! Xenosaga's cover is blown, however, when you reach the Kukai foundation. This is supposed to be a 20th-century European style town, and yet it feels just as dead as the numerous space ships, construction facilities, space stations, etc. that you explore in the rest of the game! It was very disappointing. Xenosaga managed to lose the "I'm exploring a real town and interacting with real inhabitants" feeling that Xenogears mastered so well. Xenosaga 2 improved this a lot, but it still falls short of the precedent Xenogears set 6 years ago.

All in all my greatest beef with the Xenosaga beastiary, characters and weaponry lies in their relative assumed or known power. The Gnosis by their description are quite uber - infact to the point of being almost Godlike on certain occassions - and yet all one has to do is use the Hilbert Effect (a ludicrously overpowered technique in and of itself) followed by the deployment of conventional weaponry to kill them. Huh? Its almost the equivalent of killing Superman by throwing Kryptonite paint on him and busting a cap in his ass. The story writers have made the gnosis so ludicrously powerly and so numerous that any successful attempt to kill them would appear equally ridiculous and necessarily so. The best example of this has to be humanity's intergalatic equivalent to the Orkin man's bug spray: the Damerung's subspace sonic wave cannon the Rhine Maiden. If any scene in the game got a "WTF?!" response from me it was when the Deus Ex Machine Damerung appears, plays cosmic repo man and clears the solar system of Gnosis with one massive blast.

This is another great point. The Gnosis were pretty silly looking, and looked even goofier the way they would hobble around clumsily, yet they are supposed to be the ultimate threat to man's position in the universe. The fact that you can whup them without breaking a sweat once Kos-Mos joins you doesn't help the illusion, either. The Gnosis completely lacked that feeling of "woooooOOOAHHH SHIT!" that you'd get when you ran into, for example, your first metroid, one of the weapons in FF7, an alien in one of the Alien movies, etc. The sad thing is, you can tell this is exactly what they were trying for with the Gnosis. They just failed miserably at it.

To be honest Japanese voice actors are often considerably better at conveying proper inflection. I'm not quite sure what explains this phenomenon but I can pose to you several examples: Xenosaga, Star Ocean III, and Grandia I/II. Proper inflection can go a long way towards mending the mindnumbing nature of poorly spoken dialogue. Take into consideration Dracula's insipid rant at the end of Castlevanian SOTN; "What is man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" All this achieved was cementing my desire to kill him. I imagine though when Malraux spoke those same words they sounded far more inspired.

I never realized the Japanese voice acting was superior (although that's certainly not hard to believe). I wish games would give you the choice between Japanese and English voices. Even if I would need to read the subtitles, I think this would be a great idea.

However, I think the pacing of the conversations is just as much of an issue as the inflection. Star Ocean 3 and Radiata Stories are the examples that stand out the most, although it seems that most RPGs suffer from this to some extent. In these games, there is a very awkward pause in between each line spoken. It feels more like someone reading the lines off the screen to you than an actual conversation. It gets especially ridiculous when one character is intterupting another, yet there is nearly a 1 second gap in between their lines. When you hear something like:
"I wish we could help her but . . ."
[1 second gap]
"BUT NOTHING!"
it completely kills the effect. I guess what bothers me most is the fact that this is a minor technical issue to solve, and it damages the suspension of disbelief so much, yet there is so little attention paid to the quality of spoken dialogue scenes that nobody has bothered to fix it yet.

You might wish to extend this complaint to incorporate obligatory cute critters as well. I spent half of Xenogears wondering what compelled the developers of Xenogears to include Chu Chu and the other half kicking ass with her as she was apparently the most powerful "gear" in the game.

Ah yes, Chu Chu. Quite possibly the most annoying character ever conceived. Xenogears spoilers I did like the plot development about how the Chu Chus were the dominant life form before the Eldridge landed and humans took over, and about how they had genetic limiters inserted to keep them from being a threat, and were almost completely exterminated. However, I wanted to stab Chu Chu in the face whenever she opened her mouth, and the scene with giant Chu Chu on the cross has to be one of the most ridiculous moments in RPG history.End spoilers

Can you list some more "obligatory cute critters" from RPGs though? I am having trouble thinking of more, possibly because my hatred of Chu Chu burns so strongly that every other example is trivial in contrast. I will gladly include this cliche if it is common enough, though.

Did SOIII have a plot? I must have missed it.

That's exactly my point. SO3 had one of the worst, most nonsensical, and slowest-moving plots in RPG history, and yet it felt the need to shove its poor excuse of a plot in your face at every opportunity with some of the most banal dialogue scenes I've ever seen. You practically get these "plot development sequences" every time Fayt wants to tell you he decided to go take a dump and Cliff wants to tell you what he had for breakfast.

This problem is the most prominent in SO3 and Radiata Stories (stupid Tri Ace), but I think it is becoming a problem in a lot of recent RPGs. These games have painfully cliched or nonexistant plots, yet they try to make their empty shell of a plot the centerpiece of the whole game.

I wouldn't call Shadows Hearts or Xenosaga brilliant in any respect.

I wouldn't either, by any stretch of the imagination. It just seems like these are the two most common counter-examples that come up whenever there is a discussion over whether RPGs are dying.

My problem with JRPGs can be summed up with just one issue: emotional disconnect. Case in point Xenosaga 2. Omega destroys the entire planet of Old Miltia "OH NOES!". The next day: "'Sup Shion? I'm glad there was no one we knew or cared about on that planet."

Wow, i googled "obligatory cute creature" and first page referenced Chu Chu; "Chu-Chu is the obligatory cute, fuzzy mascot that you want to stab. She's decidedly
useless in ... Chu-Chu... well, she's a damnable cute fuzzy creature. ..."

Let's see, there are those racoon creatures from Legendia, the assortment of bear creatures from suikoden, Moogles from FF, everything pokemon, rabites from Secret of Mana, etc etc.

It gets especially ridiculous when one character is intterupting another, yet there is nearly a 1 second gap in between their lines. When you hear something like:
"I wish we could help her but . . ."
[1 second gap]
"BUT NOTHING!"
it completely kills the effect. I guess what bothers me most is the fact that this is a minor technical issue to solve, and it damages the suspension of disbelief so much, yet there is so little attention paid to the quality of spoken dialogue scenes that nobody has bothered to fix it yet.

What I think they should is infact continue with the lines rather than assume they should stop because the character is being interupted. How often do you hear some one who is interupted abruptly stop speaking? In any case I if you have the voice actor continue you can edit his lines accordling.

the only thing enjoyable about Radiata Stories is Jack's power walking

Back