any good gaming LCD's out there?

kordog

Newcomer
I posted an earlier post, but i did some shoping. I looked into a 19inch crt but it weighed like 60 lb. I go to a lot of lan parties, and a 60lb monitor would be too much to lugg around all the time. Any of you guys know of a 17" LCD great for gaming, surfing the net, and doing some graphics design. Thx much

I'm happy with my 17" iiyama AS4315UT, however it only has 25ms response time, so it might not be enough for you.

1280*1024, DVI, VGA.

I was going to mention that article. :) Tomshardware also does a good job of reviewing LCD displays.

later,

The Hitachi is superb. Myself and my flatmate have one, and are extremely happy with our purchase. Highly recommended.

Hitachi and Planar make 17" LCD's with 16ms response times, but they're supposedly limited to 18-bit (~260K) color(s), which may be a factor in graphic design (tho it explains their excellent perceived response rate--switching between intermediate shades is supposedly slower than switching from on to off to on, so reducing possible intermediate shades seems like a logical compromise to reduce response time).

GamePC has reviews of both monitors (click on In the Labs).

And the Big LCD Thread in the Ars A/V is a great, if slightly unorganized, resource for LCD info. It's pretty old by now, so you may want to focus on only the last 20 pages or so. We have a few people like Apex who post technical info on popular LCD's, like the 16ms 17" panels.

Hmmm, reading the last page of that thread shows the NEC 1760NX as another 16ms 17" LCD. I guess you now have plenty of bezel/warranty choice in the narrow field of gaming LCD's.

The 3 16ms displays on the market all use the same screen from what I've read so far, so each should have pretty comparable image quality. From what I understand, these displays are pretty much leaders of the pack in terms of pixel response, but are not as good when it comes to brightness or contrast ratio. This may or may not be a big deal depending on the game, and how much you care about high contrast. A couple of people on the arstechnica thread have had similar complaints about the 2000fp. Good pixel response, but mediocre contrast.

Personally, I have a Samsung 191t, and while the contrast ratio is great, the pixel response time with darker shades is pretty noticable. You get used to it to a certain extent, but it could be a lot better.

If you need a display right now, there are a couple options. Viewsonic and Samsung seem to make displays with high contrast ratios, but poor pixel response in certain shades (seems to be true for most of the MVA type displays). The 16ms displays, along with other IPS displays (the 1800fp, 2000fp, the NEC displays) seem to offer better overall pixel response time, but overall seem to have poorer brightness and pixel response than the others. Viewing angles seem to be shallower overall as well.

It may be worth waiting to see if samsung and the others come out with good 16ms displays, and mitsubishi has been working on a technique called "feed-forward" which will also help improve pixel response times (basically the best case pixel response from a regular displays would become the worst case response time for a feed-forward display). It's been delayed, but the last rumors I heard indicated release sometime in 2nd-3rd quarter.

Nite_Hawk

Back