Anisotropic filtering and S3 texture compression

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by sfried, Oct 27, 2007.

1. sfried

Regular

I know this might sound stupid, but does using S3TC in textures lead to some "automatic" anisotropic filtering of anykind, or is S3TC just implemented as to not tax the graphics card while using anisotropic filtering? I know this question might seem outdated, but it stil bugs me.

2. Davros

Legend

s3tc was created to compress textures it has nothing to do with ani iirc

3. Killer-Kris

Regular

I could be wrong, but I thought it helped them do single cycle trilinear.

4. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Well, I suppose the substancially lower bandwidth requirement of S3TC versus all other texture formats may help getting good throughput with single cycle trilinear, but other than that I don't see anything in particular in S3TC that would particularly help with filtering compared to other formats.

5. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

when the texture is being filtered it has been decompressed anyway. as for the single cycle trilinear, it's a matter of having filtering units designed for it (working on more sample at once). Besides old S3 cards, geforce 1 (I think) and G80 do that.

6. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    To my knowledge, only PowerVR's Kyro had that specific (i.e. single cycle S3TC/DXT1 trilinear) feature, although early S3 chips had a generic "single cycle trilinear" approximation for all formats.