Andrew House admits the PS4 Pro is a reaction to PC migration

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
I agree. In fact as compute should handle fancy upscaling just fine, I can't see why it couldn't become a driver* option in future, with games making available more data available for better quality in future titles designed around the principle.

* or API

Not knowing anything about checkerboard rendering I did a search and found this article
http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-pro-check...source-intensive-jonathan-blow/comment-page-1
It is definitely true that if you had a game running on the original PS4, and the developer wants to do the most straightforward thing to make the game look better on the Pro, that developer could enable checkerboard rendering and the game will look better and run faster; so it’s “free” in that sense.
So all pre ps4 pro games will need to be patched ?

ps: everyone familiar with this
6tTM5rZ.jpg

Last edited:
So all the games need to be patched ?

ps:
The slide says prepare a 3520x1980 buffer when a 4k tv is connected
since 4k is 3840 X 2160 its not doing that much up scaling

"the title might"
"as with all strategies"

It's just a hypothetical situation, not a recommendation.

So all the games need to be patched ?
Yes.

The slide says prepare a 3520x1980 buffer when a 4k tv is connected
since 4k is 3840 X 2160 its not doing that much up scaling
Indeed, if you render 3520x1980. That's only a little saving on 4K though, so unlikely to be a popular option. That's where other solutions like rendering at lower resolutions with fancy reconstruction come in.

Ok I am not sure I am reading those "lower resolution strategies" the way, I think, many of you read them.

I think that Sony implies that all of those odd resolutions: 3680x2070, 3520x1980 etc. will be already using the checkerboard reconstruction and the final upscaling "Neo will then upscale the image in hardware" will be done by the usual bilinear upscaling and such.

Our hope is that titles will use checkerboard rendering (and similar techniques) to allow for resolutions much closer to 2160p

This tells us 2 things:
1/ Sony considers that checkerboard rendering can be considered native resolution (at least called like a native res: 2160p)
2/ They already know that even that trick won't give 2160p in all games so devs could only reach those aforementioned odd resolutions like 3360x1890 (that will be upscaled to 2160p by the usual methods.)

For instance a game like Battlefield 1 won't be using 1080p x2 pixels reconstructed to 4K using checkerboard rendering but will most probably use and odd resolution like 900p x2 reconstructed to 3200x1800 by checkerboard magic and then classically (and automatically) upscaled to 4K by bilinear interpolation.

How will a £400 PC compare to a £400 Pro in performance?That's one for DF!
PC GamesN found that a 500 quid PC can surpass the 400 quid Pro (quo) in terms of gpu (RX480 8GB) 5.2tflop vs 4.2tflop.
However for that pricepoint its cpu performance is actually bollocks compared to the combined performance of Pro's 8 Jaguar cores regardless of most of the lazy sods on the internets take the piss out on Jaguar cores.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/pc-vs-ps4-pro

Last edited:
The article knows, Pixel just quoted it wrong? And yeah, the CPU doesn't seem equivalent? But anyway, the article is basically saying well done Sony anyway, so the point is moot.

Sorry for the interruptions. The cleanup should be complete. Now back to the original thread discussion.

Back