Analyst anticipates future bankruptcy for Sony

On the part about the CD rootkit and how that may negatively impact the situation:

I, and I am sure all of us here, realize how monumentally evil it is to install something hidden on a computer and to compromise the system in order to do so. However, there are also copy protected CDs that clearly announce that they will install a copy protection code on your computer. I am not sure if there have been any incidents of hidden software in such cases (did the Sony installer ask for permission and explain what it was going to do?), but I have seen and not accepted such an agreement myself. In my case it was Coldplay X&Y through EMI.

At any rate, the problem I want to get to is: Are people, in general, qualified to understand such agreements and fully understand what is being done to their PC/OS? Sneaking it in is obviously inexcusable, but I am thinking about people who are not technically savvy or may not even be equipped to read legal jargon. Don't we all assume that such agreements are benign and expect pressing "accept" will not be harmful in any way after paying $15 for the CD it came with?

I think this larger problem, if you agree, is the more interesting because it may swing the entire market and not some unhappy incident with a small volume of CDs. Either something has to be done on a larger level to inform people about what these protection schemes are about and what rights they, as a consumer, have.

"Can I take the CD back to the store and expect a full refund because I don't agree to the terms?"

So why is this post in here and not in the DRM thread? Because I think the doom and gloom for Sony is not about DRM. They are not alone and the problem must be widespread to take such measures. Perhaps the problem doesn't, but the cure must. Nobody dares to implement CD protection alone. The market must be equally "bad" for everyone to be willing to play. I, therefore, don't see this as a problem for Sony. It is a larger problem and I am sure it will bite more companies on the bum before we've seen the end of it. The end of it, I am hoping, will at least be a proper declaration of where everyone stands and not this lopsided "we are a huge corporation protecting our ass(es)ets" while you are just the accidental and unavoidable victim in a war for greater good.

In other words, I think all "old world" music distributors will suffer immensely unless they get their strategies straightened out. It has nothing to do with rootkits. The rootkits were just an unconventional weapon in an unconventional war. Now that it has been exposed and the World has gasped in shock we can go back to the usual mayhem of getting tricked some other way. So, Sony's music division going down in flames may have very little to do with rootkits and much to do with iTunes and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avon_Implosion said:
http://www.technologypundits.com/index.php?article_id=231

Sony’s Last Days

Anticipating Bankruptcy
Go to a print-friendly version of this page. Print Friendly Version
11/10/2005 by Rob Enderle

Sony hasn’t had a good year and things are about to get much worse. With litigation against the firm proliferating at an impressive pace and the danger of both astronomical penalties and criminal filings increasing it is becoming increasingly likely that we may be seeing the last days of this once great firm.

In case you missed it, Sony’s record label Sony BMG issued CDs with rootkits that, when installed, open Windows up to a variety of nasty attacks. Currently there are two Trojans and one Bot in the wild exploiting these Sony sourced weaknesses. In addition there is one class action law suite that has been filed in California and two pending in New York and Italy, with the potential for as many as there are States and countries very high.

Sony’s response has been “who caresâ€￾ http://www.theregister.co.uk making it likely that judges are not going to be kind in either their approach or the level of pain they inflict on the firm. Odds are we will see executive changes shortly.

Regardless, whether you agree with Dan Gillmor and want to make a point or simply want to protect yourself (getting service out of a bankrupt company can be really painful) avoiding Sony products would probably be a good idea right now.

Perhaps this should be retitled "Destruction of a Brand"

...(wrong forum, perhaps?)
When you said Anlysts anticipates future bankruptcy for Sony I expected to see details on how well the company is doing withg their products not just about a possible lawsuit :rolleyes:

That's not an indication at all.

What did the analysts analyze exactly?

Vince said:
Are you serious? In the current P2P and upcoming post-P2P age in which DRM and broadband reaches near total pervasiveness and connectivity; Sony's Digital Media (be it music, movies, TV shows, etc) are going to be a goldmine for the company. Information is amorphous; unlike their electronics products, there are no fixed-costs per unit sold. But past that initial cost, everything is pure profit. Sony ( and TimeWarner, etc) will enter a period in which they rival Microsoft's ability to generate profits based off the sale of digital information.

I've a different view of the future... the ever increasing b/w, and the 1000s of super-high-iq hckrs keep on cracking every single security/encryption code, free d/l'ing grows ever more rampant, and all entertainment/software markets go on the downside. Attempts to stop the constant increase in pirating by the 100s of millions of work-age users worldwide(impossible to send more than just a few to jail, without causing worldwide economic collapse), lead to actions that alienate the few remnant consumers, the positive feedback loop escalates until copyright ceases to exist....

Information is made free thereafter, only recognition of authorship and fan donations to artists/authors remain. S/w giants like ms cease to exist. It'll all be open-source, home-brewed/fan-based content. Given the death of "MPAA" and the "RIAA" home-brewed content scales up in quality and quantity with ever more complex projects, thanks to the freed-up cash(from worthless hollysht), a free content market arises, one where the best content receives the most $$$. Distributors are dead, p2p rules the land... The END

Ain't it wonderful?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince said:
Originally Posted by Vince
Are you serious? In the current P2P and upcoming post-P2P age in which DRM and broadband reaches near total pervasiveness and connectivity; Sony's Digital Media (be it music, movies, TV shows, etc) are going to be a goldmine for the company. Information is amorphous; unlike their electronics products, there are no fixed-costs per unit sold. But past that initial cost, everything is pure profit. Sony ( and TimeWarner, etc) will enter a period in which they rival Microsoft's ability to generate profits based off the sale of digital information.

zidane1strife said:
I've a different view of the future... the ever increasing b/w, and the 1000s of super-high-iq hckrs keep on cracking every single security/encryption code, free d/l'ing grows ever more rampant, and all entertainment/software markets go on the downside. Attempts to stop the constant increase in pirating by the 100s of millions of work-age users worldwide(impossible to send more than just a few to jail, without causing worldwide economic collapse), lead to actions that alienate the few remnant consumers, the positive feedback loop escalates until copyright ceases to exist....

Information is made free thereafter, only recognition of authorship and fan donations to artists/authors remain. S/w giants like ms cease to exist. It'll all be open-source, home-brewed/fan-based content. Given the death of "MPAA" and the "RIAA" home-brewed content scales up in quality and quantity with ever more complex projects, thanks to the freed-up cash(from worthless hollysht), a free content market arises, one where the best content receives the most $$$. Distributors are dead, p2p rules the land... The END

Both views are extremes that are IMHO unlikely to happen and unlikely to work in the real world.

I think what will really happen is something somewhere in between the two. Media companies will be forced to lighten up and grant the consumers more freedoms than they want, while consumers will have to accept some degree of DRM protection to satisfy the media companies.

No future vision can be entirely anti-consumer or anti-media and be successful.

Nesh said:
When you said Anlysts anticipates future bankruptcy for Sony I expected to see details on how well the company is doing withg their products not just about a possible lawsuit :rolleyes:

That's not an indication at all.

What did the analysts analyze exactly?

dont rape the messenger

I think Sony has already did damage to themselves by allowing the quality of their mass produced items to slip to an unacceptable level.

This DRM stuff will onlly serve to make a bad situation worse. A lot of Asian people used to love sony stuff then they found out about Onkyo, Yamaha, Dennon, etc that lay waste to the Sony offerings in the same price range.

aaaaa00 said:
a. it requires the installation of an ActiveX control into IE, which is in of itself a security risk. A flawed ActiveX control can easily introduce further security holes into IE.​

Mwhahaha. This just gets more and more hilarious.

Turns out running the Sony DRM uninstaller requires you to accept an ActiveX control that, among other things, is marked as "Safe for Scripting", and which exposes tasty methods like "ExecuteCode" and "RebootSystem".

This means that if you have the DRM uninstaller on your system, any webpage you browse to can load and call these methods, because those morons marked their ActiveX control as "Safe for Scripting."

http://hack.fi/~muzzy/sony-drm/
The uninstaller requires you to install an ActiveX control to your system before you can even request for an uninstall url. Turns out, the uninstaller activex marks itself safe for scripting, and has plenty of interesting methods available for everyone to use. Although I have not analyzed them in depth, I have tested one of them to confirm it really does what I think it does. It's called "RebootMachine". If you have installed Sony's ActiveX control, follow the link to invoke the RebootMachine method. I don't even want to know what the ExecuteCode method does...

Thanks a lot Sony BMG! :devilish:

Back