An Nvidia console seems a no brainer to me. Who else could Console?

Also I'm assuming Titan is in the gaming segment in their financial reporting, but I'm not actually certain if it is.

Anything with the Geforce branding (including Titan) is part of consumer/gaming segment.

Nvidia know that their gaming cards are being used commercially and clearly don't like this, which is why they changed their software licence terms recently. I don't fully understand Nvidia's position here but I don't understand their economics beyond what they report. From where I sit, it looked like a move to try to get enterprise to buy the more expensive cards even when the consumer cards are fine for an awful lot of applications.

Regardless, the majority of Nvidia's profits are not derived from actual gamers. They know, analysts know it, everybody in the enterprise and data centre business knows it.

Recent Titan's are just Titan's, no longer "Geforce Titans".

Yes, this is why I'm no longer certain if they are in the gaming segment anymore as NV attempt to more accurately portray their market segmentation. It only helps them if they properly move non-gaming revenue out of the gaming segment as that boosts stockholder interest (already high) in their professional segments (small revenue but extremely high margin).

Regards,
SB

Yes, this is why I'm no longer certain if they are in the gaming segment anymore as NV attempt to more accurately portray their market segmentation. It only helps them if they properly move non-gaming revenue out of the gaming segment as that boosts stockholder interest (already high) in their professional segments (small revenue but extremely high margin).

Regards,
SB

Nvidia has a habit of saying one thing ...then whispering something totally different. Barring the Titan V, the GTX branding still covers the Titan Xp, even without the GTX branding card logo. As you can plainly see, the Xp is primarily for gaming, regardless of what Nvidia mummers.

Nvidia removing the GTX branding logo from the Titan line was mostly over internet noise that the GTX Titans were only offering minimal gains (i.e., performance), when compared to its 1080/ti brethren. Instead of scrapping the Titan brand (margins are too great, so nope to that idea), they simply re-categorized the Titans under the professional’s umbrella.

I see it as this …if any of the future line of Titans don’t contain any tensor cores or AI related logic, but are merely boosted clocks, some additional VRAM and CUDA cores, it’s simply a higher-end GTX without the logo. Moving the Titan brand (other than Titan V) under the professional/workstation category is somewhat crazy, when your own website is stating otherwise.

The only no-brainer abou entering the console business is to not do it I think. It's not impossible, after all, the big three right now all entered the market when it felt like a crazy idea, but managed it. But dozens of other's didn't, and all those three have had their good share of hardship.
You just don't wanna be on the console market man, its not healthy.

Do we like and/or prefer NVIDIA for some reason?

In the PC gaming space Nvidia gets it. Their GPU performance and driver support (for the most part) is there. AMD on the other hand, when it comes to GPU performance across it's lineup on average, tends to lag behind in performance when compared to Nvidia's high-end (Titan) and pro-level cards (1070/1080/ti). And this coming from a guy who strictly supported ATI/AMD at one time, and still owns one or more cards like the HD 4870, HD 5970, HD 6990, R9 295X2 and a beloved Radeon 9800 Pro.:love:

Anyhow, AMD fits well within the console gaming space for obvious reasons (pricing), where Nvidia can't compete or simply will not compete.

FWIW Just read on arstechnica nvidia recent margins are 38%! Thats a lot higher than even Apple's

In the PC gaming space Nvidia gets it. Their GPU performance and driver support (for the most part) is there. AMD on the other hand, when it comes to GPU performance across it's lineup on average, tends to lag behind in performance when compared to Nvidia's high-end (Titan) and pro-level cards (1070/1080/ti). And this coming from a guy who strictly supported ATI/AMD at one time, and still owns one or more cards like the HD 4870, HD 5970, HD 6990, R9 295X2 and a beloved Radeon 9800 Pro.:love:

Anyhow, AMD fits well within the console gaming space for obvious reasons (pricing), where Nvidia can't compete or simply will not compete.

To be fair, making lots of money has allowed Nvidia to spend lots of money on developing and delivering products that allow them to continue to make lots of money. AMD...not so much.

To be fair, making lots of money has allowed Nvidia to spend lots of money on developing and delivering products that allow them to continue to make lots of money. AMD...not so much.

I just wish NV would spend more money on their crappy drivers. This 1070 of mine is a great card being let down by subpar drivers (in anything other than the latest AAA games).

Regards,
SB

I just wish NV would spend more money on their crappy drivers. This 1070 of mine is a great card being let down by subpar drivers (in anything other than the latest AAA games).

Regards,
SB

Just consider it a net positive when new Nvidia drivers come out that dont cause the cards to catch on fire.

Seemingly great perf per watt per area per perkele per perk per pew per perdition per pack per person ppppppppffff :sleep:

Not a finn, but growing up in the nordics you pick up a word here and there. The other one I always recognise is "Ei saa peittää", in Norway you find that on the electrical heaters....

It won't be done because the revenue available from carving out a portion of the marketshare for a new console maker is too low to justify the extremely high barriers/cost of entry. Think about how expensive it would be to establish a console that is competitive enough in hardware/ services/ pricing/ exclusives that can carve away a 3rd of PS4/X1's userbase.

The market is too saturated and the existing competitors are too entrenched.

What does make sense is to release a Cloud gaming platform Like Geforce Now. Google is also likely looking into a cloud gaming platform.

Last edited:

Regards,
SB

Huh, no problems at all with my 1070... but I do play mostly new games, although certainly not all AAA. What games are you having issues with?

Also, about the Shield.. one of it's biggest selling points is that it runs android but also plays Amazon Video. This is only true with the Shield and Sony TVs because apparently they both have a deal with Amazon. Other android streaming devices and TVs can't install an Amazon app unless it's an Amazon product.

Just thought I'd add that if you were wondering about the Shields relative success and great reviews even though it's not a great success as a gaming console.

Back