AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

No, the "Ultrathin Vega Mobile" is definetly bigger than Intel's semi-custom design.

Lightman and Ryan Smith like this.
  2. Jawed

Legend

So Vega Mobile is 1.7mm high. Same as Intel's variant of Vega. So, EMIB's "height advantage" seems to have disappeared.

3. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

AMD was free to add an some extra, unusable, registers there just for "redundancy" ;)

4. no-X

Veteran

Well, I have the slide in PDF format, and the image of the "Ultrathin Vega Mobile" isn't a photo, it's not even a 3D render, it's just a simple 2D image consisting of 5 or 6 colors. Hard to say if the dimensions correspond to the real product.

Anyway, using HBM2 dimensions as reference (7.75 mm × 11.87 mm), the "Ultrathin Vega Mobile" seems to measure 17.54 × 13.76 = 241 mm² (almost exact half of Vega 10 - 484 mm²). I used the same method for the "Intel Vega" and the result was 16.61 × 13.14 mm, so about 218 mm². Btw. Polaris 10 was 238 mm².

So, is "Ultrathin Vega Mobile" half of Vega 10 (32 ROPs, 2048 SPs, 256 SPs disabled for the mobile part) or a different configuration - maybe similar to the Kaby Lake-G GPU - 64 ROPs and 1792 SPs?

Lightman likes this.
  5. BoMbY

Newcomer

6. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Using my terribad paint skills it looks like this Vega Mobile might be a slightly larger chip, but it could also be the same considering the different packaging used between them.
    IIRC, official Vega 10 die area numbers were significantly smaller than what reviewers measured with calipers, because of the protective resin used around the chip.

[​IMG]

7. Gubbi

Veteran

I don't think you can determine die size from artistic renderings of the real deal.

But I agree; I'd be surprised if it wasn't similar chunks of silicon with different amount of CUs fused off.

Cheers

8. iMacmatician

Regular

That’s true, but shortly after Kaby Lake-G was originally announced I estimated the die size of its GPU to be ~ 205–222 mm^2 from a photo.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

What I don't understand is why videocardz screws up the quality on their "leaks". That's straight from AMD's official CES-slide decks which are way better quality than that.

10. DavidGraham

Veteran

So looks like 2018 will be devoid of any new GPU from AMD, leaving NVIDIA to release new high end SKUs, raising the bar even higher. Another year with another gap from AMD, As even the 7nm Vega is an AI only chip sampled at the end of the year to select few.

#4931 DavidGraham, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    xpea, pharma, Malo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Vega Mobile dGPU?

Entropy likes this.
  12. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Regular

Doesn't compete in performance or ultra-high end discrete GPUs which is where Nvidia rules and makes boat load of profits.

pharma likes this.
  13. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

They make boatloat of dosh by selling 1050/1050ti/1060 everywhere, from DT to laptops.
    1070 sells decently, everything other than that is beyond niche.

14. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Regular

Not sure why you turned AMD "Vega Mobile dGPU?" being a new dGPU for AMD to compete with Nvidia's high-end into somehow
    Nvidia doesn't make boatload of profits from performance and high-end GPU's but you are wrong on both counts.

Nvidia makes a great amount of profit from the 1070 through the Titan.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12022/nvidia-announces-earnings-of-26-billion-for-q3-2018

Grall and pharma like this.
  15. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Does anyone have a sales breakdown per quarter for 1000 series?

16. pharma

Veteran Regular

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1947417/

17. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Anandtech has an interview with Lisa Su that is incoming, which I am assuming is the interview being discussed in this tweet about the packaging being modified to bury more of the interposer into the substrate.

T1beriu, digitalwanderer and Grall like this.
  18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I like Lisa Su. Seems to me, looking from outside, she has been real good for AMD. She's an engineer (a doctor engineer even :)) and has worked hands-on in the industry for years, so she understands the challenges better than someone who is just an executive suit with a business degree. She's been quite ferocious in her enthusiasm for the company even in its darkest days when the stock wasn't worth shit or the talk was they would just go belly up or get bought out by someone, and now that's starting to pay off, even though the graphics division is obviously still suffering from having been (perhaps necessarily) resource starved for so long.

2018 will be an interesting year, it seems. :)

19. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I do too and I agree, but I'm STILL a bit miffed about the way they handled Raja. :(

Lisa Su has been incredible at AMD, she's brought them to competitive with Intel and for that I am still amazed and loving it. :D