AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. DavidGraham

Veteran

They said the exact same thing before Vega FE, referencing Epyc, Threadripper and Ryzen. Maybe some Radeon Pro and Instinct. So yeah, I'd say the impossible is probably one of those.

https://videocardz.com/70655/amd-announces-capsaicin-siggraph-with-no-word-about-rx-vega

#3021 DavidGraham, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. BacBeyond

Newcomer

The source page:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/amd-capsaicin-siggraph-2017-tickets-35520337285

And they said they were launch RX a few times:

Back on July 1st

Dunno why you are referencing that article when it is super out of date and was flat out wrong.

https://gaming.radeon.com/en-us/rx-community-meetup/?sf97206526=1

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  3. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

"Details" Idk why I think that "details" will be showing which of the boxes were VEGA and not moch more

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

<ModEdit>
    [​IMG]
    </ModEdit>

The "next post" button at the bottom of that article literally says "AMD confirms Radeon RX Vega is launching at SIGGRAPH". And it was posted the day after.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back to topic:
    The next "roadtrip stop" will be tomorrow, this time in Portland.
    Maybe our friends in the US will spill some more beans. Or someone will "accidentally" open the AMD tower while no one's looking.

#3024 ToTTenTranz, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2017
  5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I think @DavidGraham was merely referenced his bolded part regarding showing the impossible and aligning it to the fact that EPYC and TR will also be part of SIGGRAPH. I don't believe he said anything about RX Vega not being launched.

DavidGraham and pharma like this.
  6. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The slightly lower bandwidth offered by HBM2 aside, the most notable shortfall so far for that concept is the 4+ TF count, which in the HPC context would have been double-precision throughput.
    Whether Vega physically has enabled IO space for 4 GMI links is unknown.

It seems like that Greenland is what is in the upcoming Vega products, but no 1/2 rate floating point has been indicated. If the supposed leaked slides for future compute cards are accurate, it wouldn't be offered until a 7nm Vega chip with 4 stacks comes out despite Greenland being capable.

Perhaps that's what all the spare area in the Vega boards is about... ;)

7. DavidGraham

Veteran

Thank you sincerely, everybody living under a rock knows RX Vega is part of SIGGRAPH by now.
    As Malo capably explained, I am making the connection between AMD's "impossible" mantra and their CPU and pro products, a connection they made themselves a month ago.
    In fact if you opened the link in that impossible twitter post, you will be directed to Vega's Pro page.

pharma and Malo like this.
  8. Cat Merc

Newcomer

Considering what AMD revealed in the FAD, I imagine 1/2DP Vega will actually be on 14nm+.
    Most likely 7nm was realized as too aggressive a goal for Vega 20, and it was moved to 14nm+, while Navi turned into the first 7nm GPU planned.

9. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It wouldn't mesh with Greenland having 1/2 DP and being the current chip unless the 14nm+ product is a bogus marketing distinction. The latter could be plausible since AMD frequently talks up later steppings of the same chip as a new product, although it would be different in that this "new" product would actually have something different to offer.

10. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

So if AMD jump the 14++ to the 7 then Vega 20 for 2018 and Navi for 2019 if not then navi will be 14++ in 2019 or in 2020 on 7nm.

11. Lodix

Newcomer

There is no 14nm++ in GF. First products from GF at 7nm will start mass production in late 2018 and products to the market will depend on yields and how late that date is. So most probably expect big products using that node in early 2019. So if everything goes well 14nm+ for 2018, 7nm 2019 and 7nm+ 2020.

12. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Oh yeah, I confuse the presentation about 7nm to the 14.

13. Cat Merc

Newcomer

I mean, having 1/2 DP would explain the size and performance. All the extra transistors went for that. But then why not offer a 1/2 DP card to the HPC market? Hawaii was the last one AMD released, and that's simply not good enough.

I am almost certain that Vega 10 is 1/16 DP. As for Vega 20, the initial leak from Videocardz about Vega in general said that it would be 1/2 DP, so I believe it will be that. But I'm not so certain since the node changed too, so who knows what else changed.

14. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Y'know what? Y'all got me so curious I think I'll head over there next weekend and see for myself. I'll let you know what I find out. :)

15. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Lightman, pharma and ImSpartacus like this.
  16. ImSpartacus

Regular Newcomer

I wonder if the Limited Edition will be a sort of "Founder's Edition" equivalent in the sense that it costs more (say, $600 to the non-LE's $500) and all (or almost all) of the initial stock will be Limited Edition SKUs.

I must admit that I didn't anticipate two air-cooled Vega XT cards, but this appears to be temporary.

17. DavidGraham

Veteran

AMD clarifies it's position on Vega FE drivers, basically Vega FE has pro drivers that have all the gaming optimizations released up to the point of the pro driver release. The switch to gaming mode is meant to for just the UI indeed. So as Rys said the driver is just old but not gimped.

As for later gaming optimizations, AMD wished to exploit the switch to enable users to integrate latest optimizations from the consumer branch without the need to update the whole pro driver.

And:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3000-amd-gaming-pro-mode-and-other-driver-updates

Alexko, Jawed and pharma like this.
  18. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

What happened to the "Dont compare RX vega with FE because they are completely different product!. RX will have 40% more performance!" and all that magical hope.

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I'm not sure where any of that came from. I think you're just making up stuff. There was certainly some basic discussion about whether or not FE and RX were different in any way other than the HBM2 stacks and speculation regarding certain advertised features working/not working but I don't think anyone here said anything about massive performance deltas between the 2 products.

Anarchist4000 and BacBeyond like this.
  20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

AMD never said anything about how much more performance there would be with RX.
    But regardless, AMD has to hold some sort of rabbit in the hat, they can't be stupid enough to think any consumer would buy Vega at ~1000€ if it performs like ~550€ card