AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Why do you think it is a joke? Just think in analogues - of where AMD was before and where AMD will be after.
R300 was a technologically superior chip. Probably the best in ATi's history. It would be great to have AMD back on GPU front with Vega...

I handed the board to him myself earlier today in Helsinki, over a beer. The joys of looking after Game Engineering for Europe. Full architecture details will come out later, can't spoil that, but it is FL 12_1 top tier for everything.
This is the best response I didn't expect coming, time to donate again.

Exactly. I don't know who/how RTG got convinced these hollow stunts will bring them more sales and marketshare. Maybe I'm wrong and lots of people buy their cards based on YouTube videos about random pasta, but I'd think most people buy their cards based on public benchmarks from websites or from word of mouth, both of which these videos contribute nothing for.

Eh, they'll sell plenty. That "13.1 flops" will be enough for the right type of person, coin miners and etc. Consider, even their mid tier cards have been sold out at times recently (thanks bitcoin!). I doubt they feel much need to get the card into the hands of reviewers as much as they'd want to get cards out on the market ASAP, whether the drivers are ready or not.

Hehe, that entertained me for a bit. Wasn't short on car analogies either.

PS: @sebbi what are you doing with your life? According to one reddit poster you could apparently be making millions on youtube!!! (OK he didn't actually say millions but it was kinda implicit)
I do wonder what the situation would be like if he instead posted on our subscriber only forums. More or less believable ? Hmm. I guess it would only pass as rumours.

Eh, they'll sell plenty. That "13.1 flops" will be enough for the right type of person, coin miners and etc. Consider, even their mid tier cards have been sold out at times recently (thanks bitcoin!). I doubt they feel much need to get the card into the hands of reviewers as much as they'd want to get cards out on the market ASAP, whether the drivers are ready or not.
So it's launch day but they haven't bothered giving a few cards to the major review websites simply because they want to prioritize availability to bitcoin miners?

Coin miners might be greedy but they are not stupid. They look at ROI first and foremost.

I handed the board to him myself earlier today in Helsinki, over a beer. The joys of looking after Game Engineering for Europe. Full architecture details will come out later, can't spoil that, but it is FL 12_1 top tier for everything.
Pics or it didn't happen! :LOL:

I can't think of a better person to get handed a board considering the work he's doing with Claybook. :)

Regards,
SB

Or maybe he just doesn't want to? He could be busy :)
To be fair, if I had one I probably wouldn't bother with gaming numbers either. Any performance data collected now will be invalid by the time Vega RX launches. Which would make the work going into producing that data more or less wasted.

To be fair, if I had one I probably wouldn't bother with gaming numbers either. Any performance data collected now will be invalid by the time Vega RX launches. Which would make the work going into producing that data more or less wasted.

Well, it's a lower bound, if nothing else.

Well the questions were really about architecture and capabilities mostly so far, although we do need to know if it runs Crysis! :LOL:

Sure. But a lower bound is bound to disappoint.
I suppose it's an inevitable outcome, but I'm not sure it does anyone any good to publish numbers that will be below the consumer retail card. No matter what here, AMD is going to be dealing with some hysteria.
Let's hope the consumer retail card's numbers are significantly different else ....

Yes, but think about the traffic!

It's totally fair game to publish gaming numbers even if they'll underperform Vega RX. At the end of the day, FE is a real product that has gone on sale today and that will be picked up (IMHO) mostly by gamers who don't want to wait another month. (I frankly don't see deep learning users or pro users buying one anytime soon.)

Hell, I preordered one myself just to do some benchmarking and only canceled it after rethinking my life goals, and after realizing that I don't have anything to benchmark against. :)

Yes, but think about the traffic!

It's totally fair game to publish gaming numbers even if they'll underperform Vega RX. At the end of the day, FE is a real product that has gone on sale today and that will be picked up (IMHO) mostly by gamers who don't want to wait another month. (I frankly don't see deep learning users or pro users buying one anytime soon.)

Hell, I preordered one myself just to do some benchmarking and only canceled it after rethinking my life goals, and after realizing that I don't have anything to benchmark against. :)
Oh it's totally valid to benchmark it. I just have to tread a little more carefully; as AnandTech people often take what we say as the final word, and while I'm proud of the trust readers have in us, it means I need to be careful not to write a preview article and have 10 news aggregators posting "AnandTech proves that Vega sucks!" in the morning.:eek: Most readers get that a preview is a preview, but not everyone does.

(Also, I'm on vacation next week anyhow :p )

Thanks Rys, I really appreciate it. Going to put it into good use :)

Back