AMD RV770 refresh -> RV790

So even in OEM systems RV730 is being chosen in preference to RV710?

So what we're seeing is RV710 being squeezed out between IGP and discrete (RV730)?
I think that is the tendency for the market in general, not just AMD. NV has certainly publicly said that was how they saw the marketing evolving going forward, which is also why they care so much about IGPs and Ion nowadays.

You know who I pity the most in all this? S3. Just when they get a decent (although a bit too expensive) low-end card, the low-end market loses its appeal - heh...

So far there haven't been any rumours about the Pro version. 650MHz? 700MHz? 750MHz? GDDR3?
Have there been any rumours of RV740 with GDDR3 :?:

I was just thinking about the 16-bit MCs theory:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1271360&postcount=507

and it occurred to me that they may not support GDDR3. I suppose it could be worked around, by ganging two 16-bit MCs' data lines and disabling one of the pair's address/command buses.

It would be pretty strange for AMD to produce something that only works with GDDR5. If the value SKUs are tending towards the use of DDR memory, then it seems impossible that GDDR5-only configurations would be possible.

On the other hand, with IGP squeezing the bottom out of the discrete market, is there any position for GDDR3 in the discrete market, going forwards? It just doesn't offer enough performance on a narrow, 64-bit or 128-bit, bus.

It seems to me it's too early for GDDR3 to be squeezed out entirely. But in a year's time?

Jawed

I think that is the tendency for the market in general, not just AMD. NV has certainly publicly said that was how they saw the marketing evolving going forward, which is also why they care so much about IGPs and Ion nowadays.
So, have they canned GT218?

Jawed

So, have they canned GT218?

Jawed

218 still has a reason for existing, though. Just as a 40nm test, taking inspiration from ATI's RV670 and 740 process tests.

If it's all good maybe Ion v2 could be built on 40nm. MCP79 took a lovely time to get to retail, but if it's shrunk maybe issues are less prevailing.

Have there been any rumours of RV740 with GDDR3 :?:

I received information which showed the existance of a lower end RV740 SKU with DDR3 but not with GDDR3. Somehow some sites mentioned a RV740 SKU with GDDR3. It could of course be that they've changed the plans, but it kinda goes against the strategy that AMD started with RV730 and the 1GB version of the HD4670 which also uses DDR3.

So, can a GPU built with 16-bit GDDR5 also easily support DDR3?

I don't understand what it is that differentiates GDDR3 from DDR3 :oops:

From that AMD slide posted by Anandtech I'm wondering if the demise of RVx10 (e.g. there'll be no RV810) will hasten the demise of non-GDDR5 memory.

It seems reasonable to assume that RV830 in 2010Q2, say, with a 128-bit bus, will be too slow with DDR3 (about 40GB/s tops?). By then there'll be more than a factor of 2 separating the slowest and fastest GDDR5 chips.

Jawed

So, can a GPU built with 16-bit GDDR5 also easily support DDR3?
I still can't apprehend that insistence of yours, about the 16-bit host theory. The base word size for GDDR5 is 32-bit wide (two per WCK cycle), so I can't see any performance or even structural benefit from chopping it down.
Probably you should look at XDR(2) for fine-grained banked access.

Heh, I don't think his insistence broke any laws. Between the GT212 cancellation and RV790 speed bump rumours it looks like H109 is gonna be sloooooooooooow. No matter how fancy RV740 turns out to be we probably still won't be getting anything new.

I still can't apprehend that insistence of yours, about the 16-bit host theory. The base word size for GDDR5 is 32-bit wide (two per WCK cycle), so I can't see any performance or even structural benefit from chopping it down.
Probably you should look at XDR(2) for fine-grained banked access.
Start with a single memory chip in a pair joined by the clamshell configuration.

All that's happening here is that each chip is "missing" its clamshell partner. The GPU has the problem of reconciling addresses with tiling/striping, the memory chips are just dumb in this regard. The GPU works out how an address maps across its set of MCs.

Alternatively, feel free to come up with another interpretation of what Dave said.

Jawed

How long is RV790 supposed to last AMD? Or in other words when are we expecting RV870?

Samples of AMD's DX11 hardware is expected in Q2. You can do the math from there. ;)

Blast now that suddenly makes it more unlikely I'll grab a 1 GB Rv790 just to upgrade my memory from 512 MB. :p Although I suppose my pocketbook will thank me for not splurging just to upgrade memory for higher high-resolution performance.

Regards,
SB

O holy crap, I think I blew my foot off...

http://bbs.chiphell.com/viewthread.php?tid=40396&extra=page=1

New news is new.

From what the author said:
1. Cadence's Palladium Validation is just a cluster of Intel chips (a "small" parallel supercomputer), looks kinda ugly and ordinary at that.

2. RV740 targets a 600RMB market, but has an 8-layer PCB. This means that costdown revisions will come at an unpreccedented speed! :D

3. RV790 is 770 on 55GT (AWW). 770 had problems going up over 850Mhz, looks like 790 fixed that (by just redesigns and spins?). 10 layer PCB, posibility to overclock core over 1Ghz, should beat the single chip nVidia flagship (I did not expect the 285 being beat in any case :eek:).

Now the only question left:

Is 790 having a stock clock of 850Mhz or 950Mhz? The latter seems immensely more probable, as it's in line with the 20% performance estimate (850 really doesn't cut it).

3. RV790 is 770 on 55GT (AWW). 770 had problems going up over 850Mhz, looks like 790 fixed that (by just redesigns and spins?). 10 layer PCB, posibility to overclock core over 1Ghz, should beat the single chip nVidia flagship (I did not expect the 285 being beat in any case :eek:).

GTX285 can overclock too. ;) Although 950MHz would still be nipping at the heals and possibly overtaking in some games.

My bad, the chinese source never mentioned beating the nVidia flagship!

It did say easy to do 1Ghz overclocks in volume.
Gotta go for now, gonna teach some kiddos.

If RV790 is simply "overclocked RV770" then what are the chances it'll run cooler, the fan will be quieter and it'll consume less power at idle?

Jawed

Back