AMD readies a new flagship desktop processor

Details are a little light on that.
Phenom in that context can be a 4 core Agena or 2 core Kuma.

Kuma was originally slated to go up to 2.8, so a lone engineering sample hitting that would seem plausible.

Also, that case has a lot of fans. This doesn't necessarily mean too much about the CPU, since it is stuck with 3 R600s.

On the other hand, keeping the case temperature down can allow some margin for hot chips.

3.0Ghz on a stock AMD heat sink is pretty good - 3 Ghz Quad Core on a stock AMD HSF, is very good. Perhaps reports of low Barcelona speeds were over exaggerated.
A stock HSF that looks like the one used on the 6000+ though. Which in most reviews consumes more power than the QX6850.

Just when my pessimism towards AMD reaches an all time low....here come something to give it a healthy upward surge into optimistic hope: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41256

3.0Ghz on a stock AMD heat sink is pretty good - 3 Ghz Quad Core on a stock AMD HSF, is very good. Perhaps reports of low Barcelona speeds were over exaggerated.

Things are definitely looking up if these are 2007 products.

Details are a little light on that.
Phenom in that context can be a 4 core Agena or 2 core Kuma.

Kuma was originally slated to go up to 2.8, so a lone engineering sample hitting that would seem plausible.

The lack of detail is a bit worrisome... Nonetheless, even a dual-core 3GHz K10 should make things more competitive in the high-end x86 CPU market.

Also, that case has a lot of fans. This doesn't necessarily mean too much about the CPU, since it is stuck with 3 R600s.

On the other hand, keeping the case temperature down can allow some margin for hot chips.

They've been using the same case for every Barcelona/R600 demo. I doubt they're doing so to run either out-of-spec. Just being overly cautious I'd imagine.

Wake me when they actually manage to release something competative with Intel's latest offerings.

According to Anand it was an X4 afterall.

Let's hope so.

Its just a shame that they are still planning to launch at 2Ghz this year with no promises above 2.3 Ghz for next year. A 3Ghz Phenom X4 just might be competitive with a 3.33Ghz Penryn but its not going to help much if Intel is already transitioning to Nehalem by the time they reach that clock speed!

AMD would almost be better off launching a phantom version of such a CPU at really high prices (assuming they can produce a few thousand). At least then their new architecture woudn't be percieved as horribly slower, even if in practical terms for most people it is.

Paper launches FTL. Phantom launches are even worse. I'd love for AMD to have a competitive part in all market segments (especially the high-end desktop market) but not if it means they have to put out another "Press/Phantom Edition".

Back