AMD 64 3000+ or P4 3.2ghz HT?

Intel's lowest dual core chip, the 820 will retail for around $240, not $400. The 840, aka non extreme edition with about 5-10% less performance will retail for $500.

ok well the A64 3000 is still ~$140 and the $240 is the price each if you buy 1000 so it will end up being a lil higher. and when amd release it's dual core chips I'm sure the pricing will still be better thats whats make them so good comparable performance for a cheaper price, one cpu beating the other by a few sec's doesn't mean much if you have to pay twice the price

including the (in)famous bapco benchmarks.
:oops: :?
I knew there was optimisation for Intel in various tests but Sysmark tests are from a front for Intel :oops:
Has the situation changed for newer versions?

arrrse said:
I knew there was optimisation for Intel in various tests but Sysmark tests are from a front for Intel :oops:
Has the situation changed for newer versions?

now that we have the Pentium M that is more similar to pentium III than pentium IV, maybe they didn't succeed to make a benchmark that work well with the Pentium 4 and the pentium M and give a bad picture of the AMD cpus..

hovz said:
ANova said:
Could you send it my way? Since you think it's garbage and all I guess you don't have a need for it.

sure, give me an equivalently priced a64 and u hve urself a deal.

You think it's garbage though, so I'm assuming you aren't using it and you did get it for free. No loss to you. I already have a P4 so I would rather keep the A64 to play with if I had one.

Apparently Anand is already benchmarking dual-core Opterons for the April 21st unveiling, so we should get a better idea of how both dual-cores compare in a week.

$240 sounds like a nice price for a dual-core, until you realize that current 2.8GHz P4E is $165. It's a good bit down from $330, but the packaging must save them some money, and the P4E should come down in cost by then, too. I'd be interested to see if AMD can match that for a dual-core "2800+," but they're also not going sell them for a while, IIRC.

I wonder what will happen once the transition to 64bits is finished. Initial results show a mixed bag for both manufacturers.With Intel being faster in sse/2/3 than AMD, and mmx and x87 not being available in 64 bit mode, once the applications are optimized in 64 bit mod, will the performance disparities we see today remain similar or will the Pentium 4 pull ahead due to its faster (as far as I know) SSE2/3 performance

Sworkhard said:
I wonder what will happen once the transition to 64bits is finished. Initial results show a mixed bag for both manufacturers.With Intel being faster in sse/2/3 than AMD, and mmx and x87 not being available in 64 bit mode, once the applications are optimized in 64 bit mod, will the performance disparities we see today remain similar or will the Pentium 4 pull ahead due to its faster (as far as I know) SSE2/3 performance
http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/p4-600-64/4.shtml

Back