AMD 64 3000+ or P4 3.2ghz HT?

FX5900

Newcomer
which is the overall better processor for simply graphic and video editing..as well as playing games?

i's go with AMD for sure....my next upgrade, which should be soon is AMD64 for sure. if i could get my hands on those lovely 90nm ones....yummy...

Have own both....or at least similar. Had 2.6 o/c'ed to 3.5 on a P800C deluxe & both 3000+ 754 & 939, both o/c'ed to 2.35 on cheap Chaintech NF3 & 4. No comparison. even without o/c'ng the 3000+ is the way to go. Unless all you do is multimedia. And the 3000+ comes close. If you game at all, there's no comparison. I'd personally recommend a 3000+ socket 939 on an NF3 chipset if you need AGP, NF4 if you need PCIe.

If you go with AMD it might be worth waiting on the E revision Venice core that should be available soon. Might take a while for prices to settle though.

For graphics and video editing the P4, for gaming the A64. That's really what it comes down to.

I'd personally recommend a 3000+ socket 939 on an NF3 chipset if you need AGP, NF4 if you need PCIe.

The Via K8T800 Pro is a better and faster chipset then the NF3 and provides an agp/pci bus lock.

hovz said:
the a64 is faster, cheaper, cooler, and consumes less power.

He posted a 3.2 gig P4 HT. The Prescotts are the hot running CPU but the Northwood is also in 3.2 gig speeds and its runns alot cooler then a Prescott.

What we need to know is what 3000+ he is looking at a S939 or S754 and for the Intel side a S755 or a S478 Northwood or Prescott.

forgot...i was talking about the socket 939. Man, i looked @ the 3.2 GHZ P4 and it costs around 220+ wheareas the AMD 64 is around 170...

thanks for the responses guys..

A64 is better with games, P4 is still better with video (although the gap isn't as large as it was in the Athlon XP and P4 days).

The advantages of the A64 on socket 939, lower power draw, less heat, and (in comparison to a s478 P4) a direct upgrade path to dual-core A64s outweigh the (IMO) single benefit of a P4 (Northwood or Prescott), faster performance with streaming media (e.g., audio or video encoding). I think the dual-core Pentium D/Extreme that Anandtech previewed required a new motherboard to work, whereas you can buy a s939 A64 MB now and simply plug in a dual-core A64 when they come out in a few months.

AFAIK, the Venice A64 core adds SSE3 and some other tweaks (higher clock speeds, improved memory controller speeds for >2GB RAM), but consumers a little more power than the current 90nm revision (Winchester?). It doesn't sound important enough to wait too long, IMO, but that's from the POV that you'll upgrade to dual-core in a year or so anyway.

Does Venice offers any tangible clock-for-clock improvements over Winchester, or is it mainly to boost clock speeds? I skimmed a review, but I don't remember it outperforming a similarly-clocked Winchester core.

Edit: The A64 3000+ is closer to $150, no? Or am I thinking of the OEM version.

Pete said:
Does Venice offers any tangible clock-for-clock improvements over Winchester, or is it mainly to boost clock speeds? I skimmed a review, but I don't remember it outperforming a similarly-clocked Winchester core.
No, but they do overclock a lot better and run cooler from all reports so far.

The A64 3000+ is closer to $150, no? Or am I thinking of the OEM version.
Yup, I think $140 at Newegg.com and $150 for the A64 3200+.

I'm waiting for the Venice core 3200+ to be around $150 and then it's MINE! ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Pete said:
No, but they do overclock a lot better and run cooler from all reports so far.

Actually, I think it's a tiny bit faster per clock(in the order of 1-2%), and runs a tiny bit hotter(1-2deg C)...

OTOH, the temp. was measured with the on-chip temp. sensor, and I don't trust them to be that accurate.

The tiny speed boost is mostly down to the slightly tweaked memory controller, I'd suspect.

MPI said:
The tiny speed boost is mostly down to the slightly tweaked memory controller, I'd suspect.
Oh yeah, I do remember reading they tweaked that and got rid of the "4 dimms of ram causes the PC not to boot" problem. :oops:

I just want one, I got a great feeling about 'em! 8)

hovz said:
the 939 a64 runs cooler than the NW too.

No they don't. I'm tired of AMD fans consistently spouting off bs like this.

My P4C 3.0 idles at ~38 C and ~44 C during load on stock cooling. Last I checked A64s aren't any lower except for the undervolted 3000+ winchester cores.

ANova said:
hovz said:

My P4C 3.0 idles at ~38 C and ~44 C during load on stock cooling. Last I checked A64s aren't any lower except for the undervolted 3000+ winchester cores.

yes they do.

ANova said:
hovz said:

the fact that you even paid for an intel processoer over an a64 invalidates your statement, because it takes EXTREME bias to buy an obviously inferior product.

hovz said:
ANova said:
hovz said:

the fact that you even paid for an intel processoer over an a64 invalidates your statement, because it takes EXTREME bias to buy an obviously inferior product.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/shuttle-sn85g4_11.html

A simple google search reveals exactly what I said to be true, and your sad response is that my statement in invalidated simply because I own an Intel. I'm sorry but you deserve a :rolleyes:

Back