Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

Batman v Superman will be the first 100GB UHD Bluray released for the home market and it will sell a gazillion copies because of that.

Said no one ever.

back on track we've had two new drives ( the crucial mx300 750gig and sandisk x400 1tb) have both launched brand new at $200 usd. Prices are still falling on ssd's and these aren't end of life drives that are being clearenced out.

But it's unrelated to distribution, the game is always installed on the local storage, it will be faster with an SSD no matter what is used to distribute the game.

Then we should take ssd out of the title !
That was a theory of taking an SSD to a shop and copying a game file across, or SSD prices dropping to commodity prices. Check the OP from 2008...

Today Samsung intruduced a solid state drive with 256gb of memory. Super prone to injury (it has no moving parts, vs a normal harddrive so it can withstand much more force. ) Its tremendously faster at writing\reading than the current methods of distrubution offering 200MBps read and 160MBps sequential write, so youd never see pop-in ever again. Its only slightly larger than an iphone, its theoretical maximum storage capacity is enourmos. (SSD tech advances at a more rapid pace than moores law at the moment).

Only downside is price, as its expected to cost between $1000 and $2000 when it launches in september. However, in 5 years, something like this could cost less than $20 bucks for much more memory.)

This or digital distrubution?

I think we know the way things are going now.

High capacity, super slow optical for physical distribution, internets for none physical. And probably another generation of filthy laptop mechanical drives for loading / streaming before SSD hits the required GB/$.

Still, at least that's better running directly off a "world's loudest" 1616016 x DVD drive. :s

Yep. That's just replacing the HDD with an SSD. The bottleneck for DD isn't the installation onto console.

I mostly agree. Although my digital:disc purchase ratio this gen is about 4:1, I would be happy to return to buying games on Blu-ray (which I still do for 30Gb+ games) but I'd take a console with a smaller super-fast SSD as standard, over a console with a larger HDD - as long as the install is as fast as it is on PS4's, which is crazy fucking fast. But I remember the convenience of zero-load-time cartridges.

I mostly agree. Although my digital:disc purchase ratio this gen is about 4:1, I would be happy to return to buying games on Blu-ray (which I still do for 30Gb+ games) but I'd take a console with a smaller super-fast SSD as standard, over a console with a larger HDD - as long as the install is as fast as it is on PS4's, which is crazy fucking fast. But I remember the convenience of zero-load-time cartridges.

Me, I just want to be able to pre-load everything days or weeks before official launch. And then everything is ready to run as soon as I decide to play. Unfortunately, not all developers or publishers enable preloading on their games on Steam. Makes me sad.

Regards,
SB

Back