allocating bandwidth between computers?

rusty

Regular
we have a new flatmate, who basically has e-donkey on all the fecking time... which slows down the normal internet for the rest of us and makes downloads crazy annoying.

i actually just had to boot him off the network just so i could get an email attachment to send in this lifetime.

i've tried telling him to lower his upload speeds (and his download speed as e-donkey links the two on the sliders) but i don;t know whether he resets them or whether his computer does when it restarts (it's all in chinese and i can't understand a bloody word) but either way or internet connection soon slows to a crawl again.

we are running a netgear DG834G wireless router, and i was wondering if there was any way i can cap the bandwidth his computer can consume?

if not any other ideas?

Tell him to get his own connection if he doesn't wish to be fair in his usage of the connection. Or tell him to pay for a linksys router so you can throw on the hyperwrt firmware and then use their QoS capabilities to shape the traffic. That way you can reduce the priority of his emule packets.

If he won't cooperate then maybe it would be useful to just block the download TCP port for eDonkey (4662 (?), or something like that). And if he complains, then blame it on the ISP or the apartment management.

Virtually all P2P programs save option settings across user sessions, so the logical conclusion there is that he's putting the bar back up to max when you're not looking.

What an inconsiderate shit, I'd just kick his ass back out the street. If he isn't interested in being considerate regarding the internet connection, he probably isn't interested in being considerate in other ways as well. Just dump him, to teach him that actions have consequences. If you don't have any way to get rid of him, report him to the police for copyright violation. ;)

lol.... get him deported.

i already had a little laugh though... he's really into world of warcraft, but is signed up to a chinese server. the latency of here to china is really quite astonishingly funny, so he can't play. muahahhahahahhahahaha

but i digress, he is actually a nice enough chap. i'd just like to take a sledge hammer to his computer.

Back