AGP is useless?

CosmoKramer

Newcomer
I have an argument with an individual with very *firm* opinions. He claims AGP is useless and that we just as well use could have used the PCI-bus even today.

I OTOH claim that the ever increasing geometry load necessitates a dedicated high-speed port.

Who is right and why?

I know this is an old argument but I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as you guys so my mere opinion doesn't carry much weight in the argument.

Dude, even the 3Dfx Voodoo3 / 4 / 5 cards benefitted slightly from AGP and they ran PCI-66 in the AGP slot. :lol Well actually some V4's (L-shaped boards, yes they can be found) are tested and AGP4x-approved, but I digress...

If you want to see just how much AGP does impact performance, take a look at comparisons between nVidia and ATi's AGP and PCI models.

ESPECIALLY nVidia's. nVidia PCI cards since Riva128!! have had a very unfriendly per cent lower performance compared to AGP cards.

There's even a second jump going from AGP 1x to 2x, though 2x -> 4x isn't much of a change.

The benchmarks exist; hell, if you have an AGP card, get PowerStrip, force AGP 1x, and do a few benchmarks comparing it to AGP 2x/4x.

The difference is there. And it ain't small neither. ^_^

First of all - thank you.

"If you want to see just how much AGP does impact performance, take a look at comparisons between nVidia and ATi's AGP and PCI models."

This is what I would like to see. :)

You can see a difference on high polygon throughput cases, just try benmark (you know the spiral thingy benchmark) with and without AGP enabled on a GF card and you should see a difference in performance... or so NVIDIA claims since it's their way of testing if the end users has AGP properly configured.

Back