Agni Philosophy, Durango / PS4 game

It was actually the other way - they went with hairless characters because that's what the current tech was the best at...

It was meant as a joke, but you are right. UE3 games had really weird looking hair, I don't think it was an artist limitation so yeah, no surprise they went with bald characters most of the time..

ontopic: watched it again, and the aliasing gives it away.
Does anyone know what hardware they used to demo it? I hope it's not a dual nvidia 9900 with quad tesla extra rendering. :LOL:

No, it really can't.

Not literally of course, but if anything this is the closest to a CGI render I've seen running in realtime. The hair physics, lighting and particles just seemed so impossible to render. I hope whatever platform it was running on bears similar spec to at least one of the nextgen consoles. Sorry, not you Wii U.

As far as I know this is from someone on the team

Yeah it's just a high-spec PC, though the graphics board has a *lot* of ram.
Realtime playback is just one hurdle though, it took just as many artists
just as long to do the work as it would have if we'd done the whole thing
as a pre-rendered movie. The savings will come when we can start
cross-utilizing assets, and merge our real-time cutscene team with our
prerendered movie team.

Doing a whole 50-hour FF game to that level though....you'd need a lot of
sales to justify the budget.

I was gonna say!

If HD towns in current gen FF games were too expensive for SE, then any game with this level of visual fidelity would be a no go. :cry:

Phenominal stuff though... best "next-gen" demo yet imho

I believe this is what next gen will be like.

Look at this, SW1313, UE4, would all those companies be investing in this kind of tech if only high end PC's were capable of running this stuff? I don't believe so.

Well they overestimated things at the beginning of this gen as well as made tech demos far exceeding the actual quality
The 60 FPS Metal Gear Solid 4 reveal video (though I doubt you can find the 60FPS version anywhere now):

then the TGS06 real time demo with 5000 polygon for snake's moustache and such:

And don't forget the recent demo by Tri Ace which was running realtime on PS3/Xbox 360 dev kits:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they overestimated things at the beginning of this gen as well as made tech demos far exceeding the actual quality
The 60 FPS Metal Gear Solid 4 reveal video (though I doubt you can find the 60FPS version anywhere now):

i don't know that it was ever 60fps originally, but maybe i'm wrong. i believe the 480p version of that trailer that came with the special edition of subsistence was 60fps, however. i don't know, but here's the original 30fps kikizio rip, if anyone is interested:

http://www.MegaShare.com/4313459

much better quality than the youtube. if only this was the game (and ps3) we got

The original trailer might have been 60fps, but like the now discarded version of Rising, it was probably stitched together offline. During the actual realtime demonstration, the framerate was pretty poor in comparison

There is new presentation on GT in poor quality, but with much more information.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-agnis-philosophy/731978

Its clear that footage is 720p, but they said that depending of a scene You get framerate from 30 to 60fps.

They showed also their previous take on this scene as a pre-rendered and made a demonstration side by side with real time one. Its clear that both share same assets, but lighting is a little different, hair technology is different and of course AA quality is different, but its really close.

They also said that its running on off the shelf hardware, but havent specified anything.

From one of the artists
Ok so I had a chat with one of the lead programmers on the Agni project and
this is what I can tell *y'all*

The Machine was just a high spec PC with a single high end consumer gfx
card, one you can buy off the shelf. Definitely not the kind of card most
people have in their PCs to be sure, and probably beyond the spec of what's
going to be in the next-gen consoles, *but*(!) the assets they used for the
Agni demo came straight from us (visual works), they weren't built as
real-time assets, meaning they were a mess for realtime playback. Even so,
the Luminous guys managed to get 30 fps in the dragon resurrection scene,
with the skeleton, blobby particles, 100,000 instanced insect particles and
4 fully rigged, hi-rez, unoptimized characters. The lighter scenes went up
to 60fps. With purpose-built assets he was sure he could get better
performance from cheaper hardware.

The hair is a combination of polygonal strips with Marschner shading for
the base volume, overlaid with hair that uses technology based on Sara
Tariq's work for Nvidia.

From talking to Remmy it sounded like the biggest limitation for him was
working with our meshes and rigs, he's hoping that as we integrate the
pre-rendered and in-game cinematics departments our assets will get lighter
(we have toenails on characters....that wear shoes.)

Did he mention about the resolution? I watched the CGI comparison with the realtime demo and the assets looked exactly the same except for some minor difference in lighting and particles.
I can imagine in a closed system environment and optimization it should be fully achievable.

Back