Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

Decima engine's character model has incredibly high amount of polygon density from what I can observe, you zoom in all the way and the silhouette is still buttery smooth unlike most other games of this sort or even linear games. Now on top of Kojipro's outstanding art direction, the extra use of polygons really helps to bring out more nuances of the facial structure, when animated and deformation. Also what sets this apart from HZD is the photorealism direction, the shaders and lighting adjustment make you feel more immersed and adds believability. This would look insane in HDR as the extrended contrast would show much more texture detail and more realistic highlights in the eyes, nose, lips and skins everywhere. Their SSS solution is already stunning and the hair solution is probably as good as this gen can offer.
Come next gen I believe the major leap in character realism is in gpu compute hair and cloth sim and much more helpers in the face rig for super realistic animation.

New here, but really engrossed in this thread. Have been looking for somewhere to discuss this subject for a while now.
Very curious though about model density and the impact this has on realism.
On a number of web sites (gaming), there will often be 2d thumbnails of both cgi characters and real life people, and it is still so easy to tell apart, even just from 2d thumbnails that only contain a very limited number of pixels. Which got me thinking that if, hypothetically, we viewed a current gen game on an old CRT TV, it would still be relatively easy to tell apart, again, even with a very limited number of pixels available. So using this an an example, if someone was tasked to emulate a real life scenario to be viewed on an old CRT TV (720 x 480), shouldn't this be far easier than having to satisfy the same requirement on a modern 4k screen? Given the choice, I would rather play a game / simulation that was lifelike in a far reduced res, than one that was not as realistic on a higher res setting. Apologies if I've not got my point across here in a technical manner, or using the correct jargon, its just something that's niggled me in my head for a while now and just glad to be able to share it. Hopefully someone can word it better and elaborate!

marvelsspider-man_milcsjft.jpg

Miles from Spiderman on PS5 :)

Why isn't there a post of showing the minute facial hair from both spiderman characters? Unless what I saw were fakes. It was a few days ago.

I like the quote from the GI article.

We're not claiming to cross the uncanny valley here. We're more targeting The Last of Us/Uncharted kind of look, where it's obviously a digital character but it's a pleasant-looking digital character.

from @I like feet in era

GroomLODSequence.png

• LOD 0–1 use strand-based geometry on high-end platforms (Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, and PC), but also supports card representations for other platforms.
  • LOD 2–4 use card-based representations.
  • LOD 5–7 use simplified hair meshes.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Resources/Showcases/MetaHumans/index.html

The documentation is great

PS5 and XSXsupport LOD 0, with 8k texture and strand hair but not raytracing only high end PC support raytracing maybe Lumen will be use for consoles?

MJZuRTD.png

Last edited:
Back